Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times

Advertisements

Holy crap thats cheap!!!! Out here that house would easily be 5 mil and up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 12:38 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Holy crap thats cheap!!!! Out here that house would easily be 5 mil and up.
I know!! I bought my house on 4.3 acres, custom built brick with tray ceilings, gourmet kitchen, elegant molding, huge deck with built-in seating, lighting, 3 car cavernous garage, etc. for $227,000 in January! The front is like a park, the back two acres are fenced off forest. You get a LOT for your money here. The little house at 1200 sq. ft. built in 1929 that had a crumbling foundation and no garage I owned in the San Francisco Bay Area is now valued at $450,000 and it wasn't a nice neighborhood. A million dollars means something in Springfield, Missouri!
My house. In the SF Bay Area or Chicago, what I paid for this wouldn't even buy me a nice condo:

Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 PM

18 posts, read 54,797 times
Here in San Jose CA there are 3 very upscale neighborhoods, Almaden Valley, Willow Glen, and the area around the Silver Creek Country Club. I live in Almaden and home prices down here start at around 800K and soar up into the triple digits. The closer you are to the hillsides the more expensive the homes get. I feel very fortunate to be renting a 10x10 room in someone's home here for $500 a month, which for this community is considered a steal especially as I have all my utilities, DSL, phone, etc...included in the rent. And this is on a preschool teacher salary! I love this neighborhood and wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:17 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I know!! I bought my house on 4.3 acres, custom built brick with tray ceilings, gourmet kitchen, elegant molding, huge deck with built-in seating, lighting, 3 car cavernous garage, etc. for $227,000 in January! The front is like a park, the back two acres are fenced off forest. You get a LOT for your money here. The little house at 1200 sq. ft. built in 1929 that had a crumbling foundation and no garage I owned in the San Francisco Bay Area is now valued at $450,000 and it wasn't a nice neighborhood. A million dollars means something in Springfield, Missouri!
My house. In the SF Bay Area or Chicago, what I paid for this wouldn't even buy me a nice condo:
Man, I'm moving there!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:24 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Aren't the differences in price crazy Sablebaby? It's nuts that housing prices should vary so widely, but then so do property taxes and cost of living. People in California, Florida, parts of Arizona, etc. who sell their regular development homes for top dollars and move here can afford to buy homes they'd never dreamed possible... and... pay cash! Not many Californians or Floridians have discovered Missouri yet...which probably explains the absence of resentment here of outsiders or bubble real estate prices!

Old 12-05-2006, 02:40 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Quote:
Riiiight... because all wealthy people are snobs.
I wasn't implying that, I was joking around with the names as you mentioned. Heck I know plenty of people with money (my parents being one) and all are very generous and friendly. There's no doubt that in Scottsdale you will run into snobby millionaires every day but you'll also run into ones that are probably more down-to-earth than me or you.

MoMark- I love your home, it's beautiful.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:53 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/Picture017.jpg (broken link)

OMG!!!!!!!! I was drooling and my jaw hit the floor when I saw this mansion! How big and expensive is that beauty? Four floors, basement(I hope!) and its waterfront!

MoMark, Those prices arent so cheap, that comes out to $133 a square foot. Saw a 6000 square feet house on a half acre lot for $799k! Is the square footage listed as total(which means they include basement and garage) then that 6000 square feet may be only 4500 living heated square feet for about $177 a living square foot! LOL I can get a nice big house like that for a little more in south Florida! Ill take south Florida over Missouri anyday, not bashing your state, just stating my preference. How many people would choose south Florida over Missouri if the price was the same? I bet almost everyone would. OK I checked other, cheaper houses in Springfield and the average cost is $100 a square foot on .25 to .5 acre lot. If you got your 2300 living square foot house for about $230k with a 5 acre lot, you got a really good deal on the land

Old 12-05-2006, 03:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Aren't the differences in price crazy Sablebaby? It's nuts that housing prices should vary so widely, but then so do property taxes and cost of living. People in California, Florida, parts of Arizona, etc. who sell their regular development homes for top dollars and move here can afford to buy homes they'd never dreamed possible... and... pay cash! Not many Californians or Floridians have discovered Missouri yet...which probably explains the absence of resentment here of outsiders or bubble real estate prices!

Yes its crazy! At $450k your house was probably one of the cheapest in SF in both total price and price per square foot. I checked SF Realtor website and the average cost is $600 a square foot! Even a million gets you a pretty modest house on a "zero lot" looks more like townhouse than detached house at that! One house touching(I mean touching! not an inch of space!) the next!

Yes its crazy how much prices vary. I probably will move to Oil city and $50k can get me alot of house, like 2000 living square feet!

We have alot of upscale neighboorhoods in south Florida. The ones on the intracostal usually are over a million oceanfront can be a few mil!

Old 12-05-2006, 04:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/Picture017.jpg (broken link)

OMG!!!!!!!! I was drooling and my jaw hit the floor when I saw this mansion! How big and expensive is that beauty? Four floors, basement(I hope!) and its waterfront!

MoMark, Those prices arent so cheap, that comes out to $133 a square foot. Saw a 6000 square feet house on a half acre lot for $799k! Is the square footage listed as total(which means they include basement and garage) then that 6000 square feet may be only 4500 living heated square feet for about $177 a living square foot! LOL I can get a nice big house like that for a little more in south Florida! Ill take south Florida over Missouri anyday, not bashing your state, just stating my preference. How many people would choose south Florida over Missouri if the price was the same? I bet almost everyone would. OK I checked other, cheaper houses in Springfield and the average cost is $100 a square foot on .25 to .5 acre lot. If you got your 2300 living square foot house for about $230k with a 5 acre lot, you got a really good deal on the land
Im not sure how much that one goes for, my guess would easily be 5 million though. The "waterfront" is actually his private pond, complete with waterfall and swans in the lake. Other homes in that ungated neighborhood go for 5 and up. Sometime lll have to take my camera to some other non-gated neighborhoods and get some pics. There is one in Barrington that was on the market (in a ungated community no less!) for 20 million and was 25,000 sq. ft. You can drive right up to the house! Crazy! Most of the super-exotic homes are all gated and you cant get access. Rumor has it that there is a 40 million dollar home in Oak Brook, IL that was just completed this summer. I want to find that bad boy and get some pics.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:39 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Quote:
Rumor has it that there is a 40 million dollar home in Oak Brook, IL that was just completed this summer. I want to find that bad boy and get some pics.
WHOA!! Please try and get pics.

Here's my parent's home in Scottsdale, this is a good example of what you can get if you have the money:
Attached Thumbnails
What are your upscale neighborhoods?-dscn0293.jpg   What are your upscale neighborhoods?-ps-home1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.