Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:49 PM

149 posts, read 154,029 times

Advertisements

The history and classy green suburbs of Philadelphia.
The weather of Los Angeles.
The mountains and culture of Seattle.
The sports of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 08:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
This is a fun thread topic, but tough to pin down!

Culture: I like the friendliness of cities like Minneapolis, Southern Hospitality of places like Atlanta, the blue-collar-ness and down-to-Earth vibe of Rust Belt cities like Chicago, Cleveland, or NYC, and the liberalness and outdoorsiness of places like SF, Denver, or Seattle.

Weather: This is hard! I like 4 seasons, but obviously prefer 70 and sunny to 0 and clouds. Ideal for me would be SF/LA weather 6 months of the year (spring/fall); hotter/more humid summers for swimming, but not too hot, like Chicago, NYC, Philly, Detroit, or even Minneapolis; and colder winters with average highs hovering near the freezing mark to allow ice/snow to stick around for 3 months, like Chicago, Boston, Detroit, or the milder Minneapolis winters. I like moisture/humidity vs. dryness, but am not a fan of oppressive humidity (i.e. dewpoints above 70 when the air temp is over 85).

Scenery/Geography
: I like the outdoors, and would like at least one mountain to play with, lakes or rivers aplenty, a large beach (can be a lake or ocean, but ocean would be ideal), and lots of greenery/trees that doesn't choke out your lawn with overgrowth. Cities that have some/all of these amenities might include Seattle or Portland.

Demographics/Vibe: I prefer cultural, racial, socioeconomic diversity, and find places like LA, Chicago, NY, etc. ideal in that regard. I also prefer urban, fast-paced environments with sustainable development and infrastructure with ease of access and transit. Those 3 cities all also make the cut, but I could add Boston, Philly, DC to that mix, plus many neighborhoods in Midwest/Northeast/West Coast cities.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:59 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I need to check out Columbus. Can you describe the younger hoods for me?
In my opinion the core neighborhoods of Central Columbus are a great place to live if you're an educated young professional and want urban amenities but with Midwest prices/accessibility.

Short North-Very mix-used neighborhood/center of Columbus's surprisingly large LGBT scene, art galleries, boutique shopping, bars, hotels, condos, parks, all in a relatively dense and highly walkable corridor. Sandwiched between downtown and The University District.

Italian Village- More edgy industrial vibe with excellent breweries and new restaurants emerging. The Jeffery Park development is massive and they are basically building an entirely new urban neighborhood. Welcome to Jeffrey Park

Victorian Village/Harrison West As the name suggests there are a lot of ornate beautiful Victorian style homes in this area. It's very close to Ohio State's campus so it is popular with medical and law students. Upscale and very progressive/tolerant area.

Grandview A streetcar suburb, Grandview avenue is a very walkable strip with a lot of really good restaurants, bars and local shops. It basically a less frenetic/smaller version of The Short North and feels a little more laidback. Great highway access, close to Short North, Downtown, campus. Grandview Yard is a large mix-used development that seems about half-way done.

Arena District Immediate access to Columbus Bluejackets games, Columbus Clippers games and large concerts at Nationwide arena as well as The North Market. Lots of lively bars and restaurants. It's aesthetic is a lot red brick condos and office buildings.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
geography of San Francisco.

Climate and layout of San Diego.

Location of Cincinatti.

Architecture of San Francisco, Detroit, and Charleston.

History of Boston and Charleston.

Transportation systems of New York and San Francisco (and maybe San Diego)

Theater district of Detroit (or Broadway, but I find Broadway a bit too much).

Suburbs of Minneapolis and Detroit.

attitude of San Diego with the friendliness of Toronto and the grittiness toughness and work ethic of Detroit or Chicago.

Nearby attractions of Sacramento and Las Vegas.

Urban density but uncrowded like Detroit

The airports of Santa Ana (Orange County) and Cincinnati.

The bridges of Cincinnati.

The waterfront of. . . who has the best waterfronts? San Francisco? Charleston?

Fill it with Canadians and select Mid westerners.

Add the trees of - several cities, just put in a lot of trees, mostly big old maples. Maybe some Jacarandas on a hill in the distance somewhere.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:18 PM

405 posts, read 476,617 times
Topography and weather of Los Angeles and Phoenix
Beaches of Long Island
Vibe and food of New York
People of Ohio/Indiana
Politics of Oklahoma City/Phoenix
COL of Fargo, ND

Old 05-30-2017, 01:28 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Topography and weather of Los Angeles and Phoenix
Beaches of Long Island
Vibe and food of New York
People of Ohio/Indiana
Politics of Oklahoma City/Phoenix
COL of Fargo, ND
I love the desert as well. I'm a greedy guy.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
In my opinion the core neighborhoods of Central Columbus are a great place to live if you're an educated young professional and want urban amenities but with Midwest prices/accessibility.

Short North-Very mix-used neighborhood/center of Columbus's surprisingly large LGBT scene, art galleries, boutique shopping, bars, hotels, condos, parks, all in a relatively dense and highly walkable corridor. Sandwiched between downtown and The University District.

Italian Village- More edgy industrial vibe with excellent breweries and new restaurants emerging. The Jeffery Park development is massive and they are basically building an entirely new urban neighborhood. Welcome to Jeffrey Park

Victorian Village/Harrison West As the name suggests there are a lot of ornate beautiful Victorian style homes in this area. It's very close to Ohio State's campus so it is popular with medical and law students. Upscale and very progressive/tolerant area.

Grandview A streetcar suburb, Grandview avenue is a very walkable strip with a lot of really good restaurants, bars and local shops. It basically a less frenetic/smaller version of The Short North and feels a little more laidback. Great highway access, close to Short North, Downtown, campus. Grandview Yard is a large mix-used development that seems about half-way done.

Arena District Immediate access to Columbus Bluejackets games, Columbus Clippers games and large concerts at Nationwide arena as well as The North Market. Lots of lively bars and restaurants. It's aesthetic is a lot red brick condos and office buildings.
Wish I had a reason to move/visit there. Oh well.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
For me:

The crisp air, weather, mountain back drops of Denver.
The beaches and cuisine of LA
Vibe of Seattle
People of the midwest
COL of Wichita, Kansas

To be continued.....
Foliage of New England in the fall.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:57 PM

53 posts, read 77,366 times
Quote:
That probably wins this thread. I'd add some mountains. Maybe I just described Rio.
LA's crime? Yup that's Rio.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:58 PM

429 posts, read 480,063 times
Quote:
For me:

The crisp air, weather, mountain back drops of Denver.
The beaches and cuisine of LA
Vibe of Seattle
People of the midwest

COL of Wichita, Kansas

To be continued.....
The two I've bolded seem to be a bit contradictory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.