Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 2,164 times

Advertisements

I am a soon to be high school senior from a small town in California. I can't stay in this town, it's more of a sand-trap than a place to live. But I have no idea where I could go? I'm open to working most jobs, though i don't quite yet have the stamina for hard labor jobs (construction, etc)
I'm looking for a place to move to that's a fairly big city, and doesn't have too high of a living/rent cost.
Basically a place that someone with no college education could get a job and live on their own.
I just want to be above the poverty line you know?
Any input is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 04:54 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
There really is no place for you. You have nothing to offer an employer. All you would do is work at McDonald's or other fast food ( and they may not even take you ) or possibly retail.

Join the military. You would learn a skill or skills. After four years would have work experience, money in savings and numerous military benefits.

Do a lot of research on how being in the service will help you and on which branch of the service to join.
You really need long term planning. Good luck

Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
There really is no place for you.
A little harsh and not completely true.

But, OP, there is some truth in this statement. Depends on lifestyle, work ethic, and sacrifices one is willing to make.

Military is good advice. So is learning a trade. HVAC is in demand, and there are others as well. Nothing wrong with service, retail, and sales careers, just know that liveable income comes from being in management, which takes time to get into (especially without a degree).

The more affordable places to live are the medium sized towns in the Midwest and the South.

If you're going to go solo right out of high school, be sure to save a few thousand for deposits and startup costs. Don't spend, just save. You'll need to stretch every dollar you have. Money can burn fast when you have bills, especially if an unexpected expense pops up (car, health issues, etc.).

Best of luck. It can be done, but you'll have to work you're tail off. Remember that...

Old 05-23-2017, 05:48 PM

707 posts, read 751,207 times
ABQ is good for very low COL, but it isn't the best place for unskilled domestic laborers (mostly it's high-tech nuclear jobs, public safety, and teachers). Plus there is more sand here, so much that it forms giant blowing walls that darken the city (we call them haboobs).

Have you considered farm/ranch-handing?

Old 05-23-2017, 08:08 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Just curious, but do you have a job now?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:06 PM

yeah, I'm working as a secretary at a local brewery. previous jobs I've worked were prep cook, landscaper (not hauling things, mostly watering, weeding, and digging) and i do cleaning at a few shops around town. Also, i wasn't fired from any of those, the job/summer ended.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 PM

I'm aware, im not against working all the time. I know that it will take a lot, but my main thing is where to go? Ive already saved up like, five thousand dollars, and am working on more, but I really dont have any idea in a place to go. America is pretty big, i just want a place where there's work.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:10 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Have you posted your resume online?
Have you started researching jobs you're qualified for and what they pay?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:12 PM

I have skills, I'm currently a secretary at a local brewery, and I'm a pretty hard worker. I've logged a bunch of hours in community clubs, FFA, all that jazz. However I just lack ideas and am looking for a little direction. I appreciate your input, but I have no interest in joining the military.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:15 PM

I dont care much about Literal sand, I meant sand pit as a place that sucks you in. ABQ sounds nice, however, I am not quite yet ready to just give up and become a farmer. I've spent enough years in FFA to know that that's something I am not interested in.
Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.