Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times

Advertisements

In Nevada, other then the Clark County the state actually has relatively chilly overnight low temperatures.

I would say the majority of Nevada in land area one would certainly have a sweater or light-coat in the middle-of the night in the summer as summer-time lows in much of the state relatively chilly.

I stayed at a motel in Reno for a couple of weeks, years ago and I asked about air conditioning and she said the air conditioning was the sliding glass door.

She was right even with high temperatures in the 90s, in Reno the low temperatures drop into the 50s at night.

Carson City, Elko, Ely and West Wendover also have chilly summer nights with a rapid cool down that requires a nightly sweater in the summer.

Arizona has very hot in the Phoenix area, Yuma, Lake Havasu and central Tucson but other then the state has relatively nice summers.

Prescott has warm summers but cools off nicely at night. Sierra Vista has a summer with similar temperatures to Denver. Flagstaff and Show Low have chilly nights also in the middle of the summer.

Even Tucson while being very warm in the summer. Has days with a strong monsoonal flow where the temperatures will cool into the 70s after thunderstorms.

Oro Valley and some of the suburbs of Tucson are much cooler then Tucson itself and there is Mount Lemmon with it's chilly summer-time air a short drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 03:20 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
In Nevada, other then the Clark County the state actually has relatively chilly overnight low temperatures.

I would say the majority of Nevada in land area one would certainly have a sweater or light-coat in the middle-of the night in the summer as summer-time lows in much of the state relatively chilly.

I stayed at a motel in Reno for a couple of weeks, years ago and I asked about air conditioning and she said the air conditioning was the sliding glass door.

She was right even with high temperatures in the 90s, in Reno the low temperatures drop into the 50s at night.

Carson City, Elko, Ely and West Wendover also have chilly summer nights with a rapid cool down that requires a nightly sweater in the summer.

Arizona has very hot in the Phoenix area, Yuma, Lake Havasu and central Tucson but other then the state has relatively nice summers.

Prescott has warm summers but cools off nicely at night. Sierra Vista has a summer with similar temperatures to Denver. Flagstaff and Show Low have chilly nights also in the middle of the summer.

Even Tucson while being very warm in the summer. Has days with a strong monsoonal flow where the temperatures will cool into the 70s after thunderstorms.

Oro Valley and some of the suburbs of Tucson are much cooler then Tucson itself and there is Mount Lemmon with it's chilly summer-time air a short drive away.
ya I went to Arizona and I was shocked it wasnt all desert.I was in disbelief when it was 60 in Sedona.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:37 PM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
My guess for Arizona is the fact that probably 85% of the population of the state lives in the hot part. Therefore that's the part that people associate with Arizona.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:53 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,484 times
Majority of Reno summer days are not very hot either.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:37 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Nobody cares?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:45 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,194 times
Maybe because 80% of those states' populations live in very hot climates?

95% of Florida isn't beach. 65% of Colorado isn't mountainous. We could keep going...

Old 06-11-2017, 10:05 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Deserts being hot is a misconception, that's why. People dont understand the true meaning of "desert." For instance Antartica is a desert.

We correlate weather with daytime, since thats when we do stuff. When it gets 90-100+ degrees in the daytime, thats not moderate, thats hot. If it's beautiful and sunny all day long, then thunderstorms at night, youre still gonna call the day "pleasant." The rain didnt affect your daily activities.

Plus we always pay attention to the highs, not the lows. Doesnt matter to me how cold they get at night, I wouldnt call them moderate at all, because during the day it's an oven, and the temperature at 3pm is much more important than the temp at 3am.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Most of New York is not urban. Most of New Mexico is not Mexican. Most of Rhode Island is not on an Island. Most of Montana is not mountainous. Most of Colorado is not red.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:45 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Deserts being hot is a misconception, that's why. People dont understand the true meaning of "desert." For instance Antartica is a desert.

We correlate weather with daytime, since thats when we do stuff. When it gets 90-100+ degrees in the daytime, thats not moderate, thats hot. If it's beautiful and sunny all day long, then thunderstorms at night, youre still gonna call the day "pleasant." The rain didnt affect your daily activities.

Plus we always pay attention to the highs, not the lows. Doesnt matter to me how cold they get at night, I wouldnt call them moderate at all, because during the day it's an oven, and the temperature at 3pm is much more important than the temp at 3am.
I agree on this. This is why I find northern climates easier to deal with than southern climates. Here in Texas, our extreme season is summer when we can reach 100 quite often. And 100 is reached in the late morning, afternoon til early evening. Its most of the day when its 100 and during the time people are outside. Meanwhile up north in the winter, it can get below zero sometimes, but that typically happens overnight and early morning. When most people are sleeping. In Texas we deal with the worst of the heat more often than folks in Wisconsin deal with the worst of cold. I've driven a car in 100+ with no AC, I hated my life and cursed out the window. I've also driven a car in 20 degrees with no heat. My hands were cold, but I managed.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:05 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Cuz most people live in the hot areas. Its ironic though, cuz Nevada's name means "snowfall" in Spanish. I was in Vegas in December and it was surprisingly cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.