Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Branson is the South, definitely not the Midwest.
People need to make up their minds about Missouri. One day it's the Midwest, another day the south. One day this city in MO is the south, but not that one.

But OK, Springfield, MO: July 25, 89 degrees
https://weatherspark.com/y/10263/Ave...tes-Year-Round
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
People need to make up their minds about Missouri. One day it's the Midwest, another day the south. One day this city in MO is the south, but not that one.

But OK, Springfield, MO: July 25, 89 degrees
https://weatherspark.com/y/10263/Ave...tes-Year-Round
IMO, US 60 is the divider, so Springfield, Joplin, Branson are in the South

Old 03-12-2018, 08:56 PM

Well fine! I already listed St.Louis and Kansas City. My point stands. The Midwest has some cities with hot summers.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:

I would like to see some documentation of a place with highs in the 70s in July anywhere in the MW.
Summer weather in upper MI definitely averages in the 70s. July is the hottest month with the average BARELY touching 80 degrees. June, August, and September are 70s and even 60s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_M...chigan#Climate

We used to go up to the UP in the summer and its absolutely the best summer weather in the lower 48.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:22 AM

233 posts, read 172,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Summer weather in upper MI definitely averages in the 70s. July is the hottest month with the average BARELY touching 80 degrees. June, August, and September are 70s and even 60s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_M...chigan#Climate

We used to go up to the UP in the summer and its absolutely the best summer weather in the lower 48.
Why Iron Mountain when you could have picked Marquette (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquette,_Michigan). Average highs are in the mid 70s for July and August and upper 60s for June and September.

I don't know if I'd classify this as the best summer weather - if you're a cool summer person, anywhere along the Pacific coastline above the point of conception will be cooler. San Francisco averages in the mid-upper 60s for all summer months except September when it averages 70.

If you're like me and 70s is a bit too cool for summer - too cool to get in a pool, too cool to swim etc, then you will prefer something warmer. I think average high in the mid 80s is ideal summer weather.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:36 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
Why Iron Mountain when you could have picked Marquette (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquette,_Michigan). Average highs are in the mid 70s for July and August and upper 60s for June and September.

I don't know if I'd classify this as the best summer weather - if you're a cool summer person, anywhere along the Pacific coastline above the point of conception will be cooler. San Francisco averages in the mid-upper 60s for all summer months except September when it averages 70.

If you're like me and 70s is a bit too cool for summer - too cool to get in a pool, too cool to swim etc, then you will prefer something warmer. I think average high in the mid 80s is ideal summer weather.
I always found the weather up there to be ideal for my tastes (while on vacation at least). For hiking and biking through the UP, it was absolutely ideal. Same went for sitting on the beach, enjoying the breeze w/o having to sweat or jump in the water to cool off. Clear water, deep blue skies, temps in the upper 70s.... ahhhh.... it was a slice of Heaven on Earth.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:05 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I always found the weather up there to be ideal for my tastes (while on vacation at least). For hiking and biking through the UP, it was absolutely ideal. Same went for sitting on the beach, enjoying the breeze w/o having to sweat or jump in the water to cool off. Clear water, deep blue skies, temps in the upper 70s.... ahhhh.... it was a slice of Heaven on Earth.
Now, visit the UP in winter. I like it better, fewer tourists, and deeper snow. I plan on retiring there, and have been through most of the Northwoods over the last few decades.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Now, visit the UP in winter. I like it better, fewer tourists, and deeper snow. I plan on retiring there, and have been through most of the Northwoods over the last few decades.
OP asked about major midwestern cities in post #1. UP of Michigan, International Falls and Duluth MN, etc, don't count.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
OP asked about major midwestern cities in post #1. UP of Michigan, International Falls and Duluth MN, etc, don't count.
That is true. The largest city in the "Northland" is Duluth, MN, however. You can get to the Northwoods from the Twin Cities in one hour of driving, though.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:43 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Sorry i don't know why i wrote that. warm summers, mild winter and sunny most of the year.
Rapid City South Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.