Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,409,249 times

Advertisements

Were the exit polls done by the same outfits that got all the election polls wrong too?

I thought liberals always called the GOP the 'party of the rich' but yet at same time they depict GOP voters as less educated. It seems like Democrats would attract the largest share of poor voters given their views on taxes and government spending but yet most of the uneducated people are GOP voters? I can't get my head around this.

I know in SC the nice middle class and wealthy suburban areas tend to be majority GOP.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Call me weird but I like living either in a conservative city of a liberal region or a liberal city in a conservative region.

Trends I see in Liberal/Conservative cities (not all apply in all cases):

Liberal Cities:

- More nightlife

- More organic stores

- More green-friendly technology

Conservative Cities:

- More pick-up trucks

- More churches

- More sports
Generally conservative cities in liberal regions don't exist as at the core almost all cities are liberal, of course their are some large conservative suburbs, but even in the center the area is usually predominantly liberal in the conservative suburbs that have a center. If Oklahoma City metro population doubled, I could bet you the city would be liberal. OR if the OKC city limts got cut to a third of it's current boundaries, only including the center and surrounding neighborhoods it would be liberal. Conservatives generally have zero power in any city larger than 2 million people except in the suburbs or suburban areas of the city.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 3,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Were the exit polls done by the same outfits that got all the election polls wrong too?

I thought liberals always called the GOP the 'party of the rich' but yet at same time they depict GOP voters as less educated.

I know in SC the nice middle class and wealthy suburban areas tend to be majority GOP.
Hold onto that. As the GOP's supporting population dies off it will become the minority. Most of the newer generation leans left so enjoy it while you can. Glad to see the northern "liberal" influence making your cities and states even bluer.. Even NC is becoming a swing state.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...rticle/518523/
http://www.people-press.org/2016/09/...ers-1992-2016/

Old 06-22-2017, 09:20 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:

I thought liberals always called the GOP the 'party of the rich' but yet at same time they depict GOP voters as less educated.

While conservatives are wealthy, it is more like CEO of Oil Companies, Walmart or any company that caters too and is based in suburbia or rural areas, like car companies etc. Moore downtown/ CBD outside of Oil, Ivy league types and higher education are liberal. Education doesn't always mean extremely rich, but it can. Liberals are wealthy primarily wealthy in the West and in the NE, Midwest and The South don't have many liberals in the first place but the liberals there overall maybe poorer. In Texas certain suburban counties are Liberal but most are conservative.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Neither are organic stores or green technology. We're talking about correlations and trends.
I can understand associating 'green technology' with liberals. I don't think there is any correlation to organic stores or nightlife. Nightlife, organic stores is related to population, youth, income, perhaps prescence of a university, and other things.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TolivfoR View Post
Hold onto that. As the GOP's supporting population dies off you will become the minority. Most of the newer generation leans left so enjoy it while you can. Glad to see the northern "liberal" influence making your cities and states even bluer.. Even NC is becoming a swing state.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...rticle/518523/
Party affiliation among U.S. voters: 1992-2016 | Pew Research Center
Ok. The GOP only gained control of both houses in the NC Congress in 2012, for the first time since 1896. In my view, it is trending to the right. You and others on here seem to think every transplant to the south is a liberal but I think at least 50 percent of them are people looking to get away from blue state policies.

I also think that over time, we will see more black people start to switch to GOP. Democrats at every level have been struggling to win elections the past 8 years even with 90-95 percent of the black vote in elections.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 3,811 times
Quote:
Ok. The GOP only gained control of both houses in the NC Congress in 2012, for the first time since 1896. In my view, it is trending to the right. You and others on here seem to think every transplant to the south is a liberal but I think at least 50 percent of them are people looking to get away from blue state policies.

I also think that over time, we will see more black people start to switch to GOP. Democrats at every level have been struggling to win elections the past 8 years even with 90-95 percent of the black vote in elections.
Look to Virginia as an example.. The influence will just spread further South

Old 06-22-2017, 09:39 PM

Democrats would lose Virginia if it didn't include the DC suburbs. Obviously there is no government centric metro like DC down south. Nova drowns out the rest of Virginia in elections.

I think if my political party had the least power it has had since 1922 or so, I wouldn't be so confident about the future. If the border is sealed up and illegal immigration is ramped down significantly, it could really be hard to overcome, especially if black voters become more open to GOP as I predict.

I think the biggest difference between a city perceive as liberal and one that is perceived as conservative is you are much more likely to see protests, political activism downtown in the liberal city. Conservatives generally don't protest. I prefer being able to go downtown without having people's political opinions forced on me. I think political protests should only be allowed away from CBDs and other commercial areas.

You'll probably also never see a drum circle downtown on Friday nights in a 'conservative city', as you do in at least one liberal city.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-22-2017 at 10:15 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 10:11 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
The taste of the conservative city is rare steak, pork rinds, and lager beer. The taste of the liberal city is tofu, quiche, and bottled water.

Think I'll just stay with a moderate / mainstream / middle-of-the road / balanced city. The extremists on both sides can pyss off.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:13 PM

How do you know what the food taste is of every conservative and every liberal? I don't see a correlation between food tastes and politics. Not everything is associated with politics. I'm a conservative and I don't like pork rinds or rare steak.

I don't see anything 'extremist' about conservatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.