Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Go visit the Mississippi Delta region around SE Arkansas, NE Louisiana, and East Mississippi. Greenville would be a good place to stay, Lake Providence is one of the poorest towns in the Union. There's no better places to visit than that and the Appalachian areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 12:35 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you think Birmingham is too cosmopolitan and thus not Southern enough, then there's no such thing as a "true Southern city." Birmingham is arguably the most Southern of the major Southern cities (those with metropolitan areas in excess of 1 million persons).
Yep - Birmingham is very southern - anything in western Carolina (except Asheville) , anything in Mississippi, try border towns between GA, AL, NC and Tennessee.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:08 PM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Go visit the Mississippi Delta region around SE Arkansas, NE Louisiana, and East Mississippi. Greenville would be a good place to stay, Lake Providence is one of the poorest towns in the Union. There's no better places to visit than that and the Appalachian areas.
This and I'd include Greenwood in terms of the Mississippi portion of the Delta. Perhaps check out Holmes County and take a trip down Route 49 to Yazoo City and into Jackson.

You could possibly do the Memphis to Jackson route as well along I-55 or take I believe Route 61 to Route 49. With the latter Route, you can potentially stop at some of the smaller towns/cities along the way like Clarksdale.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Didn't take long for Charleston or Savannah to be mentioned in a thread where the OP said he/she wants to plan a trip to parts of the South that people usually don't want to visit.
Why is she going to Nashville then?

Old 06-29-2017, 01:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
She did say that though...

And why she's going to Nashville is beyond me. She talks about Birmingham being too cosmopolitan, and Nashville is 100x more cosmopolitan. Obviously doesn't know exactly what's going on

Old 06-29-2017, 01:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Because apparently the OP knows nothing about Nashville and even asked if he/she should visit; otherwise it wouldn't have been mentioned as an option if he/she thinks Birmingham is too cosmopolitan to be a "true" Southern city.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:42 PM

153 posts, read 130,169 times
Your title says Deep South. Is it the Deep South you want to see or just the south? Kentucky and Nashville wouldn't be considered deep south.

I went on a trip through the deep south, mainly Mississippi, last year and loved it. I feel like a got a good picture of the south. Got to see Memphis, Oxford, Tupelo, parts of the Natchez Trace, Jackson, Mandeville, Gulfport/Biloxi, Meridian and Mobile. As far as quintessential southern city, I'm not going to be too much help as I'm not from the south. But I feel like I got to experience a good part of the southern culture and had a great time. If I had to choose, my favorite cities were probably Mobile, Oxford and Memphis. My only regret was not having more time to devote to the trip.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:03 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Eastern Kentucky is not the Deep South. If it is, then Chicago is the Upper South...

How is Birmingham cosmopolitan?

Old 06-29-2017, 02:49 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times
I don't get it. Why the interest in "southern poverty"? There's plenty of poverty in the North and Midwest, and I'm sure there's no shortage of it in the West (I've only been to CO, WY, SF, AZ). The only difference between "rednecks" and poverty in the South compared to anywhere else is the accents.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:39 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,446,518 times
Thanks for the replies. I just figured Birmingham was more cosmopolitan because I thought it has more name recognition. Someone mentioned Charleston has a Southern feel to it. I know it is touristy but I don't care if it is touristy as long as it has a Southern feel to it. Plus my sister has been and she really likes it. The reason why I wanted to go to Eastern Kentucky was because I read in an article that six out of the ten most disadvantaged counties are here. Also, it has Beattyville, the poorest white town. I don't know if maybe I should just go to Charleston just to get a taste of Southern culture then go to Eastern Kentucky or some other rural area in the South at a later time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.