Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:00 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Chicago. I hear people trash the city because of crime and taxes.
Life long Chicagoan here. My experiences with people in the Chicagoland suburbs is that they most have a very positive feeling about the city and know how fortunate we are to have a world class city as our core. Chicago is the magnet that draws us. And if we wish to see our kids after they leave college, we have to go into Chicago to do so....because that's where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 12:05 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Detroit, Dallas, Los Angeles.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Newspaper comment sections are always filled with cranks, political/industry stooges, nutjobs, and shut-ins. It's like a rule. For example, if they're 90% against a ballot measure it still might pass overwhelmingly.

City/suburb divides are real but most people have more nuanced views than the loud voices we often hear, whether they're on talk radio or work with you.
As for Cincinnati, this is easily the situation - suburbanites loath the urban core. From idiotic talk radio to a worthless newspaper to political opportunists who hope Cincinnati will become the next Detroit, these malcontents are an insatiable and implacable adversary, especially in their contempt for any progress downtown.

This same objectionable profile is readily visible on City-Data's Cincinnati forum. Just post anything positive about the city and watch what happens. Like bottom feeders from the black depths of a pond, these suburbanites shoot up to strike any shiny lure breaking the water's surface. Personally, I liken them to a WWII U-boat wolf pack lurking in wait for some hapless Allied vessel to cross their path; the results are always the same. Positive news is torpedoed, the post is derailed and the thread is sunk.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:38 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I find it rich that any middle class or better suburbanite jumps on the negative train about the urban core's perceived issues which can mostly be attributed to disinvestment by the very same people who work in the city core, but who largely take home their disposable income to the the suburbs.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:43 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I think that every city in America has nice areas that suburbanites would like at least to visit every so often.

All of the east coast cities do.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:13 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Definitely Detroit

Old 07-09-2017, 06:13 AM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
In Tennessee, it's Memphis. Suburbanites have a palpable disdain for the city. It's the reason the Mississippi suburbs have grown so fast, because moving out of state is the only way to live in the metropolitan area and still be guaranteed to never be absorbed into a crumbling city that has grown only through aggressive annexations. In fact, Tennessee's recent law that essentially stops annexations was pretty much aimed at Memphis which now has growing movements of large swaths of city neighborhoods that want to be de-annexed. Tennessee's other major metros (Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville) have suburbanites that still love their core cities and yearn for their core cities' successes. In Memphis, it's like the suburbanites are giddy to see the core city continue to decline and refuse to step foot in the core of the city unless it's absolutely necessary.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:26 AM

62 posts, read 201,025 times
Quote:
As for Cincinnati, this is easily the situation - suburbanites loath the urban core. From idiotic talk radio to a worthless newspaper to political opportunists who hope Cincinnati will become the next Detroit, these malcontents are an insatiable and implacable adversary, especially in their contempt for any progress downtown.
Yes, it is an interesting phenomenon. It seems like in other places, suburbanites just don't have anything to do with the city proper, or they are too scared to go there, but here in Cincinnati, it is more like they want the city to fail. They seem to take perverse pleasure in anything going wrong. I remember at work a few people laughing about someone getting mugged in Over the Rhine, saying they deserved it for living there.

Of course, this could simply be the reflection of my living here and not elsewhere. Although, I do know quite a few people from Columbus, and they do not hate the city itself. But other cities do seem to have similar problems. My cousin moved to Michigan some years ago. When I asked him where he lived, he said Troy. When I asked where that was, he said 'north of Detroit'. I took this to mean he was in a small town in the northern nothingness of Michigan's thumb, so when I went to Detroit for a trip, I missed a chance to visit him not knowing at the time that Troy was immediately north of the city line of Detroit.

Going by population loss, I would have to say though that the people of Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis must hate their respective cities the most.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,656,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I've noticed this....do you wish that there were more state pride or do you feel as though you are better than the state you're in?
Aside from its natural beauty, there's not much about outstate Missouri to be proud of. The increasingly far right-wing politics and bible-thumping mentality that pervades outside the biggest metros are not only hoinf the big cities back in a thousand different ways, but they also make us a laughing stock in the eyes of the rest of the country. If St. Louis seceded from Missouri and formed its own city-state, I'd fully support it.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:13 AM

138 posts, read 151,112 times
I would say STL. The Baby Boomers (50+) in the suburbs seem to absolutely hate the city. They would take their kids to the city for the zoo, museums, etc., but once they became empty nesters, they never go back in. I've heard many just describe the city as a desolate and unsafe wasteland. To be honest, it's hard to blame them. STL has its issues. But it's better and safer than it used to be, at least in the desirable neighborhoods. In my experience, suburban Chicago dwellers know they are fortunate to live in a world class city. Chicago also has its issues, but they are overblown. It's not as safe as NY or LA, but it's a lot safer statistically than STL. The GOP focuses on Chicago, because it's their way of "proving" that progressivism, gun control, etc. don't work. And wouldn't you know it, I saw a poll where the majority of Americans listed Chicago as the city they think is most dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.