Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 03:59 PM

8 posts, read 7,720 times

Advertisements

New to this community forum so from what I can tell, I need to post under the ATLANTA thread and under the CAROLINA’s threads…

A two-part question: pick a city/town and second find the near perfect neighborhood/realtor. Atlanta area or the Carolina's? Thought about Colorado but cold!

Lost my husband 4 years ago to cancer and my fiancé recently to a heart attack so my body and brain are in pieces right now, hence turning to this smart community for guidance.

Have lived in Austin almost my entire life but now overcrowded and expensive. Staying with friends and belongings in moving Pods. I'm 50 with 2 dogs and work from home. Restaurants, nice grocery store, farmers market, being outdoors, staying active, and golf are important to me plus want a great area/neighborhood as I also host and teach cooking classes. If possible, I'd love an active golf community where there's an on-site gym, restaurant and bar with a farmer’s market near or a great neighborhood with all of the above nearby. Love having Uber and Uber eats as well. Ideally sunny, with lower humidity and heat than Austin's (90's about 4 - 5 months of year with around same in humidity) and low allergens as TX is known for very high mountain cedar levels that kill the sinuses. I've looked at housing online in both Atlanta and Carolina areas and would feel comfortable staying around $350,000. Must have open floor plan with great gas kitchen and a yard. Hmm, I guess I could rent a VRBO long-term and build if had too. The plan would be to fly in early April and stay a few weeks to explore your suggestions. I truly value your feedback on this next journey in my life. Thank you in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 05:13 PM

356 posts, read 317,112 times
Just a shot in the dark, but you might like the area near Asheville, NC. Atlanta is great but won’t accomplish your weather goal. And to be honest, most people seem to think Austin is a better than Atlanta. At least the kind of people that like what Austin has to offer.

Does Boise, Idaho get you excited? Seen that as part of the California / Austin / Colorado relocation crowd.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:51 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Just a shot in the dark, but you might like the area near Asheville, NC. Atlanta is great but won’t accomplish your weather goal. And to be honest, most people seem to think Austin is a better than Atlanta. At least the kind of people that like what Austin has to offer.

Does Boise, Idaho get you excited? Seen that as part of the California / Austin / Colorado relocation crowd.
I second this. Asheville, NC would be an excellent option, especially if one is looking for an active area with less heat and humidity in the Southeastern U.S.

Knoxville, TN would also be an excellent place to look because of the very close proximity to all of the outdoor amenities (lakes, mountains, hiking trails, etc.) in Eastern Tennessee.

One major problem though, is that the pollen and allergy issues are likely to be even WORSE out this way than in a relatively less wet city like Austin, Texas.

If you’re trying to get away from pollen/sinus/allergy issues, the Southeastern U.S. likely may not be the best place to look because of the overwhelming amount of vegetation here and because of the off-the-charts pollen count levels that this part of the country is prone to experience during dryer spring seasons.

If you are looking to be near a major city like Atlanta, the Atlanta suburb of Marietta seems to offer much of what you are looking for, especially with the farmer’s market on the popular and historic Marietta Square every weekend during the warmer weather months.

The biggest problems with Marietta and the Atlanta suburbs will be constant severe traffic congestion and overcrowding and a much more suburban feel than you might prefer once you get away from the historic Marietta Square.

Another challenge that you you face out this way is the significantly increased rainfall and wetter weather in Atlanta and the Southeast than in a moderately wet/dryer city like Austin.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
I think you should check out Cookeville, TN. Knoxville would be a second choice with Greeneville, SC coming in third.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:26 PM

25,760 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Atlanta has terrible pollen each Spring. Allergy sufferers hate March and April.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:58 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
Quote:
My first thought before I even saw this reply. Somewhere near Asheville. Easy to stay active. Definitely cooler in the summer.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:01 PM

back2atl - Hi there...my first "reply" hoping I chose the correct one, "post quick reply." I'll def look into Boise ;- I visited Asheville 30 years ago. I will add that to the list and look into the area neighborhoods. Thank you for the feedback.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I second this. Asheville, NC would be an excellent option, especially if one is looking for an active area with less heat and humidity in the Southeastern U.S.

Knoxville, TN would also be an excellent place to look because of the very close proximity to all of the outdoor amenities (lakes, mountains, hiking trails, etc.) in Eastern Tennessee.

One major problem though, is that the pollen and allergy issues are likely to be even WORSE out this way than in a relatively less wet city like Austin, Texas.

If you’re trying to get away from pollen/sinus/allergy issues, the Southeastern U.S. likely may not be the best place to look because of the overwhelming amount of vegetation here and because of the off-the-charts pollen count levels that this part of the country is prone to experience during dryer spring seasons.

If you are looking to be near a major city like Atlanta, the Atlanta suburb of Marietta seems to offer much of what you are looking for, especially with the farmer’s market on the popular and historic Marietta Square every weekend during the warmer weather months.

The biggest problems with Marietta and the Atlanta suburbs will be constant severe traffic congestion and overcrowding and a much more suburban feel than you might prefer once you get away from the historic Marietta Square.

Another challenge that you you face out this way is the significantly increased rainfall and wetter weather in Atlanta and the Southeast than in a moderately wet/dryer city like Austin.
I really appreciate you taking so much time for a well thought out reply. Sounds like you've been around ;- I'll dig deeper into allergens for the area, as I forgot that after it rains in Austin, the molds peek out.

Marietta sounds great! I'll plug that in and see what it looks like! Yes, have read about the traffic, same as Austin, crappy. I was at the super bowl last year and remember MARTA but of course no clue if it will do me any good but the best part is working from home so might just have to watch the times I drive. So much wonderful information and so much research to do...Thank you so much!!!!

Old 03-08-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:

I'll def look into Boise ;- I visited Asheville 30 years ago. I will add that to the list and look into the area neighborhoods. Thank you for the feedback.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Atlanta has terrible pollen each Spring. Allergy sufferers hate March and April.
Thank you for this info. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.