Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,105,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
I can understand if it's a rural town that just has a Wal-Mart, if that, but once a metro reaches a certain size, around 300,000+ or so, it has pretty much all most people need or frequent. Strip Malls, Bars, restaurants, department stores, etc.

What makes many of these larger metros like Atlanta or Charlotte, so much better for day to day living. Being larger?

Most of the differences are things that people dont even frequent daily. I know many people in Atlanta who havent even heard of certain suburbs in other parts of metro, let alone go there. They mostly live within their own bubble within the metro, so what difference does the larger population truly make?

What difference does it make if the "major metro" has 15-20 Targets and 50 Chick-Fil-A's Vs. 2-5 Targets and 5-10 Chick-Fil-As in the smaller metro? Does that really make ones quality of life better? I get that there are some clothing stores here and there the smaller metro doesnt have, but does it matte that much? It's just more headache and traffic to get to most of the same type of stuff.

Culture and Unique traits make much more of difference than size to me. Many of the larger metros (especially in the Sunbelt) are just a copy and paste several times over of the same things you'd find in a smaller metro.

It not worth it to me, and doesnt make much of a difference, especially with the traffic.
Better is very "subjective" and really depends on an individual's values, needs and what one is willing to compromise on.

I think employment opportunities are one of the most major differences. Metros around 300,000 include Kingsport-Bristol, Tennessee, Ocala, Florida and Evansville, Indiana. Those areas simply don't offer the same amount of economic/employment opportunities that can be found in larger metropolitan areas in those respective states.

Traffic and accessibility really depends on the specific metropolitan area as well as as where on lives in the metro area. In Columbus, Ohio (a metro of 2 million +) I find traffic to be a breeze for the most part. It takes me literally ten minutes to get from my suburban area to downtown, nightlife areas and a major university. The airport is twenty minutes away as well as excellent shopping destinations. I utilize all of those amenities on a weekly basis. In cities with more comprehensive public transportation you can utilize that to avoid traffic or even better, just walk!

As a gay man there tends to be more acceptance of the LGBT community in larger cities as well as larger dating pools and gay nightlife. Personally this makes a major difference for me but might not matter at all for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,094,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
were you responding to me?
No, the OP.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
I can understand if it's a rural town that just has a Wal-Mart, if that, but once a metro reaches a certain size, around 300,000+ or so, it has pretty much all most people need or frequent. Strip Malls, Bars, restaurants, department stores, etc.

What makes many of these larger metros like Atlanta or Charlotte, so much better for day to day living. Being larger?

Most of the differences are things that people dont even frequent daily. I know many people in Atlanta who havent even heard of certain suburbs in other parts of metro, let alone go there. They mostly live within their own bubble within the metro, so what difference does the larger population truly make?

What difference does it make if the "major metro" has 15-20 Targets and 50 Chick-Fil-A's Vs. 2-5 Targets and 5-10 Chick-Fil-As in the smaller metro? Does that really make ones quality of life better? I get that there are some clothing stores here and there the smaller metro doesnt have, but does it matte that much? It's just more headache and traffic to get to most of the same type of stuff.

Culture and Unique traits make much more of difference than size to me. Many of the larger metros (especially in the Sunbelt) are just a copy and paste several times over of the same things you'd find in a smaller metro.

It not worth it to me, and doesnt make much of a difference, especially with the traffic.
You wholly ignore the value of economic opportunity and social capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.