Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:44 PM

11,168 posts, read 7,227,160 times

Advertisements

LOL You don't have to go to Utah to find friendships not based on alchohol/partying. In fact, if you go there, you'll probably end up encountering and hating the polar opposite side of the spectrum.

Pretty much any place that isn't a college town would be a start. Any fairly large city (at least 400k) will also have a big enough mix of people.

P.S. That's interesting to hear of the culture in that part of the country (Fredericksburg, VA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 07:11 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,902,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I have lived in the Fredericksburg area of Virginia with my family for more than 10 years now. It seems that unless you are a party animal or alcoholic you don't fit in. It doesn't matter if you are 20 or 70.

I don't really like to drink nor does my spouse. I am not opposed to drinking, but it seems to be the only activity in my area. You aren't cool unless you experience an accident while drunk on a four wheeler or constantly spend all of your time drunk around strangers.

Not looking to offend anyone, but want to know of regions where drinking beer isn't mandatory.

I am not necessarily opposed to alcohol, but around here it consumes most everyone's life.

I can't understand how a 40 year old talks about what they do when they are drunk like it's the first time they ever drank.

That's all you get here and it's really hard to form meaningful relationships unless you are vomiting on a strangers carpet.

Thanks
Look for regions with lots of festivals and outdoor activities and stay out of the cities. Binge drinking has been dying out in Western and Central PA. It's looked upon as an occupation for 20 year old losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.