Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:57 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Louisville would have a lot more to offer than where I am - that's for sure. I'd rather be closer to mountains or coasts, but I could live there under the right circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:06 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
1) I'm a 31 year old single guy working as an ERP business analyst for a hospital system. I've also worked as a core banking application administrator at a small bank, and a trading software support analyst at a software vendor for the investment banking industry. I have a BA in economics from a regional state school.

I'm looking for mainly business analyst positions, or would be willing to take something more entry level outside of IT in finance if I could. Don't really want to be on the infrastructure side again. Would like to stay with a hospital system or large company if at all possible. My experience with smaller firms hasn't been as good as larger firms.

I'm at about $60,000 now. The job market is the primary concern. I want to be somewhere that if the company closes, lays off, whatever, that I won't have to leave the area. I'm planning to stay at least five years in the new location.

2) I've been single since I moved back to Tennessee. I haven't been out with anyone where I thought there was truly long-term potential, and almost no dates at all. It's almost impossible to date in this small town, and there is virtually no single, professional class. It doesn't look like me being single is going to change anytime in the near future as long as I remain in my current area. I had far more dates in Indianapolis and Iowa than I've had here in Tennessee.

I'm not getting any younger. I want an area with a decent 20s/30s dating scene - ideally with more women without kids/open to not having kids. I don't have or want kids myself.

3) Definitely looking for more amenities than what I have now. I was very used to stopping and eating something at Whole Foods, shopping at Costco, liked my gym at Lifetime Fitness, etc. There's really no substitute for any of that where I am now.

I'm a fairly big sports watcher. Mostly hockey, college football, and baseball. Pretty outdoorsy too - into hiking, kayaking, photography, occasional fishing. Area needs to have some decent hiking opportunities and access to recreational water - which was a problem in Indianapolis and Des Moines.

4) Weather isn't a huge factor as far as temps go, but don't want to be somewhere like Indy with virtually no winter sun. I can take cold and sunny. I was in Tampa back in the summer and it was not too hot either.

5) I'm fairly conservative politically but am not religious/gun nut. Politics are more along the lines of Milo than Pat Robertson. I would be OK in a blue area, as well as long as it isn't extremely in your face like Seattle.

1) Raleigh/Charlotte. These are my two nearest "big cities." Raleigh seems to be more expensive and more isolated. I'd rather be closer to the mountains/Atlanta than the beach. Both would have a wide variety of employment options. I've been to both, but haven't been to Raleigh in about ten years and haven't been to Charlotte in several years. I plan on trips to both.

Can anyone throw out some dark horse suggestions I might not be aware of?
You skipped right over Greensboro-Winston Salem, which could very well be that dark horse you're overlooking. The area has a population of nearly 2 million and along with it the amenities you're after like Whole Foods, Costco and nice gyms, nearby lakes for fishing, outdoorsy recreation with the mountains within in an hour of the area (much closer than Raleigh or Charlotte), college football along with minor league baseball and hockey teams, a moderate political climate closer to 50-50, four seasons with plenty of sun and mild winters, a significant professional class community with plenty of younger singles/dating scene and importantly a cost of living well below Raleigh or Charlotte with a similar salary.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:21 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Have you totally not considered the 'elephant in the living room' altogether, by which I mean Atlanta? The city itself may or may not be too big for you, though I think that might depend on what neighborhood you're in. But Atlanta certainly has everything else you're looking for.

And if not the city itself, several of Atlanta's suburbs are mini business hubs themselves, like Alpharetta, and living in or near someplace like that might be right for you.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
And if not the city itself, several of Atlanta's suburbs are mini business hubs themselves, like Alpharetta, and living in or near someplace like that might be right for you.
I was thinking Alpharetta might be a perfect match. It checks every single one of the OP's boxes.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You skipped right over Greensboro-Winston Salem, which could very well be that dark horse you're overlooking. The area has a population of nearly 2 million and along with it the amenities you're after like Whole Foods, Costco and nice gyms, nearby lakes for fishing, outdoorsy recreation with the mountains within in an hour of the area (much closer than Raleigh or Charlotte), college football along with minor league baseball and hockey teams, a moderate political climate closer to 50-50, four seasons with plenty of sun and mild winters, a significant professional class community with plenty of younger singles/dating scene and importantly a cost of living well below Raleigh or Charlotte with a similar salary.
I had never really thought of that, and do not know much about the Triad. With that said, I did look at some properties there on Trulia that are in much better shape and at a lower price than what I can find in my local area. There are far more options available. I'm basically looking at townhomes, condos, and small SFHs, and found many options. Here - there is very little selection and what is available is almost more than twenty years old and not updated.

I didn't think the Triad was as big as it was. My biggest problem with a Knoxville/Greenville size metro are jobs, but the Triad altogether is about twice Greenville and a good bit bigger than Knoxville as well. Depending on where I was in Greensboro, it looks like you could commute to metro Raleigh for a bit if something did happen.Wake Forest plays Louisville 10/28, so I may take a trip over there. From what I can tell, there are several lakes in the area, and it's just an hour and a half or so from Boone.

Ideally, the goal would be to rent for six months, settle into the job, and buy. I really don't want to be on the rental treadmill any longer than I have to be.

Thanks for the recommendation. What I've seen so far is very interesting.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Have you totally not considered the 'elephant in the living room' altogether, by which I mean Atlanta? The city itself may or may not be too big for you, though I think that might depend on what neighborhood you're in. But Atlanta certainly has everything else you're looking for.

I've thought about it, but I am not looking to go that big. I really don't want to go as big as Charlotte or Nashville, but those are about the minimum for jobs it seems.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:45 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
I posted this on the Raleigh forum, but I don't think it's going to be the right fit. Looking at other options.

I'm currently living and working in my small hometown in northeast TN. My employer is likely going through a merger, and while I do not feel my job is at immediate risk, there are practically no other options for me locally. I also don't see staying here longer term practical or worthwhile from several perspectives.

Before moving back to Tennessee in 2016, I spent most of the last five years in West Des Moines, IA and Carmel, IN. These areas have excellent economies, great schools, a lot of amenities, and are very safe. My hometown is none of these. I'm looking for something similar to what I had, but hopefully a bit warmer and closer to TN, although I'm considering other possibilities.

Here's some background and what I'm looking for. I'm probably moving by 2020, at the very latest.

1) I'm a 31 year old single guy working as an ERP business analyst for a hospital system. I've also worked as a core banking application administrator at a small bank, and a trading software support analyst at a software vendor for the investment banking industry. I have a BA in economics from a regional state school.

I'm looking for mainly business analyst positions, or would be willing to take something more entry level outside of IT in finance if I could. Don't really want to be on the infrastructure side again. Would like to stay with a hospital system or large company if at all possible. My experience with smaller firms hasn't been as good as larger firms.

I'm at about $60,000 now. The job market is the primary concern. I want to be somewhere that if the company closes, lays off, whatever, that I won't have to leave the area. I'm planning to stay at least five years in the new location.

2) I've been single since I moved back to Tennessee. I haven't been out with anyone where I thought there was truly long-term potential, and almost no dates at all. It's almost impossible to date in this small town, and there is virtually no single, professional class. It doesn't look like me being single is going to change anytime in the near future as long as I remain in my current area. I had far more dates in Indianapolis and Iowa than I've had here in Tennessee.

I'm not getting any younger. I want an area with a decent 20s/30s dating scene - ideally with more women without kids/open to not having kids. I don't have or want kids myself.

3) Definitely looking for more amenities than what I have now. I was very used to stopping and eating something at Whole Foods, shopping at Costco, liked my gym at Lifetime Fitness, etc. There's really no substitute for any of that where I am now.

I'm a fairly big sports watcher. Mostly hockey, college football, and baseball. Pretty outdoorsy too - into hiking, kayaking, photography, occasional fishing. Area needs to have some decent hiking opportunities and access to recreational water - which was a problem in Indianapolis and Des Moines.

4) Weather isn't a huge factor as far as temps go, but don't want to be somewhere like Indy with virtually no winter sun. I can take cold and sunny. I was in Tampa back in the summer and it was not too hot either.

5) I'm fairly conservative politically but am not religious/gun nut. Politics are more along the lines of Milo than Pat Robertson. I would be OK in a blue area, as well as long as it isn't extremely in your face like Seattle.

Places I'm not considering at all.

1) Texas. I have no desire to live in or ever visit Texas. Nothing appeals to me about it.

2) West coast or Mountain West. Too expensive/isolated. To be honest, I doubt I'd consider anywhere west of the MS River.

Some places I've considered

1) Raleigh/Charlotte. These are my two nearest "big cities." Raleigh seems to be more expensive and more isolated. I'd rather be closer to the mountains/Atlanta than the beach. Both would have a wide variety of employment options. I've been to both, but haven't been to Raleigh in about ten years and haven't been to Charlotte in several years. I plan on trips to both.

2) Greenville, SC. It is one of my favorite cities, but I worry about employment options in a metro of this size. Close to the mountains, easy to get around in, low COL, most of the shopping I need, close to Atlanta and Charlotte.

3) Louisville, KY - I spent a lot of time there when I lived in Indianapolis. Kind of a cool, funky vibe, good cost of living, but again, employment is an issue.

4) Nashville, TN - I've been there a few times and it just hasn't gelled. A lot of folks I know have moved there and loved it, but cost of living is an issue.

5) Tampa area - Been there on vacation a few times and loved it. Seems easier to get around than Nashville, better cost of living. Great weather and outdoors options.

Can anyone throw out some dark horse suggestions I might not be aware of?

What about Chattanooga? With about 550k metro, it may be too small for what you are looking for. But it is undergoing a bit of a tech boom and has tons of incredible outdoor opportunities super close by.

Not sure how the Biz Analyst market would be, but it's got a lot going for it as a city...

Old 10-14-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
What about Chattanooga? With about 550k metro, it may be too small for what you are looking for. But it is undergoing a bit of a tech boom and has tons of incredible outdoor opportunities super close by.

Not sure how the Biz Analyst market would be, but it's got a lot going for it as a city...
I went down there in April. The downtown was nice, but outside of that and Signal Mountain, it just seemed kind of run down. I'd much rather live in Knoxville if I stay in TN, and jobs are a concern as small as it is.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I didn't think the Triad was as big as it was. My biggest problem with a Knoxville/Greenville size metro are jobs, but the Triad altogether is about twice Greenville and a good bit bigger than Knoxville as well.
It's really not fair to compare the Triad as a region to just Greenville. Greenville itself is part of a larger region, the Upstate, with two other principal cities (just like the Triad) with a population nearing 1.5 million. That's not very far off from the Triad with 1.65 million. The major difference is that the other cities in the Upstate are smaller than Greenville whereas the Triad's two largest cities, Greensboro and Winston-Salem, are practically the same size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.