Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 09:41 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,618 times

Advertisements

So, what's great about where you live?

Is it pretty, or pretty cheap?

Are there things to do and see, or are you bored to tears?

What don't you like about where you live?

What would you live to see changed?

Inquiring minds want to know....Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 09:49 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
I love that weed is legal and it's pretty. I don't like the food or the lack of diversity.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:26 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
So, what's great about where you live?

Is it pretty, or pretty cheap?

Are there things to do and see, or are you bored to tears?

What don't you like about where you live?

What would you live to see changed?

Inquiring minds want to know....Thanks.
I live in Midland, Texas.It is neither....it is ugly and expensive.There's nothing to do.I dont like how its 5 hours from any big city but at least its close to New Mexico.The people are great though for the most part.Its good that my family is here.I like how it has the Friday Night Lights.I love that my church family is here.I dont like that the dating scene is horrible.I pretty much hate it here ugh.I dont like how traffic is bad here.Its too cold in the winter time for me.Im so bored all the time here Anytime,OP..

Last edited by C24L; 04-24-2020 at 08:02 PM..

Old 04-24-2020, 08:34 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Boston

I like how well maintained the city is and how clean it is. Thats a plus. Its beautiful. Every street is a new story, hence why its called the Athens of America. Gorgeous. I also like how you can have intellectual conversations with locals and tourists. Some much knowledge here, it feels like you are in a city of colleges and universities all the time. Its great. Last major positive I see is the food is amazing and theres always something to do. You can't be bored in Boston... theres literally stuff to do all the time and new areas to explore. Ive lived here most of my life and have really only navigated a quarter of this city alone. Not even taking account the suburbs or adjacent cities.

Not so great? The rent. Its horrible. The NIMBYism? Terrible. And the worst part about Boston is how strict its Blue Laws, Liquor Laws and Happy Hour Bans are. Its sucks and wipes the fun out of this city.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:32 PM

822 posts, read 858,737 times
Rhode Island .. location, location, location. It's gorgeous. Easy access to ocean, islands, mountains, forests, the Cape. In the 95 corridor with easy access to Boston, NYC, Philly and others. direct flights to Europe. Four season climate. Tons of history. It's diverse and has great food options.

things I don't like: cost of living, NIMBY attitude toward progress, crotchety old timers who still hang on to the past

Old 04-24-2020, 09:48 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,699,687 times
That's it's not a regressive republican state..

If Lindsey Graham or Mitch Mcconnell was my senator, I would leave tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:51 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
That's it's not a regressive republican state..

If Lindsey Graham or Mitch Mcconnell was my senator, I would leave tomorrow.

Its funny that you mention 2 rinos. real republicans mean freedom. not tyranny of the regressive soicalists like Cumomo or the Michigan psycho. why is it that all the tyrants are leftists? can you answer that? all the ones on the right want freedom. all the ones on the left want dictactors

Old 04-24-2020, 11:24 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,013,883 times
Fresno

Pros
Cheap COL, low traffic, friendly people, underrated food scene. 14,000 foot mountains nearby, the prettiest Vista(Yosemite) in the lower 48 is nearby(only real competition comes from Montana-GNP), great winters that are getting nicer, lovely falls and springs, dry heat for most of the summer, underrated music scene, and underrated schools

Neutral: lots of dense suburbia. Some ppl hate it, some love it, I don't mind it. Crime is middle of the road for a city its size(eventually, crime will be a pro)

Cons: downtown still needs a ton of work, occasional wildfire smoke, some heatwaves will knock you off your feet, still too many Republicans in the area(they're holding up progress), and the park system needs big upgrades. Also, People from the coast are pouring in and they're pushing the COL up

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 04-24-2020 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
NE Texas (Tyler):

It's pretty here. It's bucolic, not spectacular - peaceful, pleasant, rolling hills, pastures, plenty of trees, lakes, etc.

The cost of living is relatively low, and that's great because we're not that far from Dallas, where it's significantly higher.

Good food and shopping options - when we're not shut down everywhere.

Until this stay at home order and this pandemic, I was NEVER bored. Now unfortunately, I am, but I don't think it has anything to do with where I live.

I don't like how hot it can get in the summertime, but I remind myself then of the fabulous springs, and the mild winters. Really, that's about all that I don't like.

I like the overall vibe so I really wouldn't change anything.

What I love most of all is the sense of space. I love the big sky especially. I also love that independent cussedness of the people - I like that they are friendly, but you best not be a lazy slob or they stop being friendly! I mean, they won't generally cuss you but they'll just tip their hat and leave. That's cool.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:25 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Pros: Relatively affordable, 4 seasons, urban to rural/outdoor amenity options within minutes, landscape(Hills, valleys, Lakes, waterfalls, etc.), has legitimate black, white, Asian, Hispanic and Native American communities with diversity within each, sporting event options(D1 and high & lower level minor league), yearly festival options, underrated Arts community and good food options.

Cons: certain areas of the city need more investment and in turn the issues that come with that, winter can hang on a little bit too long, people can be a bit pessimistic and some tax rate issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.