Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:44 PM

82 posts, read 639,291 times

Advertisements

thinking of Wilmington or Charleston to visit. What city in the carolinas is overall the best, i love the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 05:19 PM

70 posts, read 320,697 times
Best city to live or visit?

Visit? Charleston hands down.
Live? Raleigh, I think.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,689 times
Charleston. Its not quite as nice as Richmond, but close.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:44 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,048 times
Wilmington rocks

Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
I've never been to Wilmington or Asheville but I've heard great things about them. I like Charleston a lot.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:15 PM

80 posts, read 461,681 times
zvercetti-

I have lived in Wilmington and have traveled fairly extensively to Charleston. To pick one over the other really depends on what you're looking for. Charleston has a larger historic district and more to do with shopping, dining, and the arts in the downtown area. Overall, I think Wilmington has more to offer with its tight integration (and short distances) between downtown, the suburbs, and the beaches. They both have plenty of water with the ocean and rivers nearby. I would definitely recommend taking boat, trolley, or carriage tours in either. They are great ways to learn about the history and architecture of the area. Both have good and attractive colleges in UNCWilmington and the College of Charleston. The College of Charleston is nicely integrated with the downtown area.

Lastly, I don't know when you're thinking about going, but I would go sooner rather than later. August in both of these cities is hot and humid.

Let me know when you decide where you're going, and I can give you more specific recommendations.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:21 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,428 times
Why Charleston Darlin, dont you know!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,533 times
"Its not quite as nice as Richmond, but close"

Is that a joke? Charleston is one of the prettiest towns in the South. Richmond is a run down dump.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
I've heard nothing but great things about:

Asheville
Charleston
Wilmington

Old 05-12-2007, 08:24 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
I live in Wilmington, and I grew up near Charleston. On the surface, they look similar, and have a lot of the same things - historic downtown, beaches, golf courses, old forts, plantations, universities.

But I'd take Charleston any day of the week. It is about twice Wilmington's size, and the historic downtown is probably 3x or 4x larger than Wilmington's. Yet, it is less congested, has better and more accessible beaches (that is important), more marsh to fish in or drive a boat, more and better restaurants & bars, better golf courses, better festivals (Spoleto vs. Azalea), and just generally more stuff to do. The local Charleston people are very polite and southern. The people of Wilmington.. well, they (we) just aren't. It draws a very odd group of people.

Wilmington is cool, don't get me wrong. It is worth visiting. It is a big surfing town, and the downtown has some cool houses, bars/restaurants, and some trinket shops. Wrightsville Beach is beautiful, and almost looks tropical. There is lots of filmmaking going on here, too. As far as history goes, Charleston was a major American city for a long time, whereas Wilmington was sort of a backwater.

I'd visit both, they are only 3 hours away, with Myrtle Beach in between. If I had to pick one, it'd be Charleston. And to the guy who brought up Richmond, VA.. ha, ha, that's pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.