Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
I wouldn't go by those stats. The town has grown tremendously in the last 7-8 years. A new census is due. California is very diverse. Hardly anyon one cares if she is black. They are 95% college educated there so it's not a racist area whatsoever. There are many Tourists in that town from all over.

I am 50% Native American but just click Caucasian on forms when asked.
My sister and father look very Native American.
Mom & I look Norwegian. No one cares
City Data has the exact same percentage as of 2016:

//www.city-data.com/city/Truckee-California.html

That's about as low as you can go in a nation that's 13% black, so the fact of the matter is that your suggestion does not fit the OP's request "to the 't'". Even Aspen, CO has a higher black percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 AM

436 posts, read 302,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
City Data has the exact same percentage as of 2016:

//www.city-data.com/city/Truckee-California.html

That's about as low as you can go in a nation that's 13% black, so the fact of the matter is that your suggestion does not fit the OP's request "to the 't'". Even Aspen, CO has a higher black percentage.
You are really fixed on this black thing aren't you? Again, these people are highly educated just like the OP is. Racism is not happening in Truckee. She'll fit in just fine, especially being an outdoorsy person. All her activities are within the town of Truckee or the outskirts. She can live where she plays. Perfect for her

So yes, Truckee fits her requirements to a "t". But again, it is pricey. My husband is a Painting Contractor, he works in Truckee alot.

Here's her post again..."while diversity is nice, it's not a requirement. I just wouldn't want to be somewhere where I'd feel very out of place as a black female."

Old 12-27-2017, 11:09 AM

Truckee has grown TREMENDOUSLY in the last 5 years or so.

Don't go by any stats. Drove thru just last night, it is CROWDED.

We tried to buy a home there recently to be around friends and outdoor activities but couldn't find
an affordable home. Finally decided upon Sierra City which is about 45 min from Truckee. But also offers an abundance of outdoor recreational activities like hiking the Buttes, Mtn Biking in Downieville (20 min away, probably the most popular town for Mtn Biking in Calif) and the summit is 5 min away. Great for snow- mobiling and cross country skiing. Many lakes like Gold lake for jetskiing and fishing

Though we'll probably stick with downhill skiing at Boreal.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:11 AM

93,272 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I think the other issue with Truckee may be in regards to Business Analyst jobs for the OP. Here are some listings from the Albany area, for an example: https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Busi...l=Albany%2C+NY

Out of the places mentioned, Albany and Chattanooga are both around a third Black.

I think what separates the Albany area is the multiple mountain options within an hour or so, it has multiple urban/suburban/small town options in the area and it’s proximity to Boston and NYC(inc. by train), while still being relatively affordable in a general sense.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-27-2017 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
No more fixed on it than the OP is. If her being black wasn't an important factor in her decision then I doubt she would've brought it up. It seems race is a touchy subject for you, so perhaps you need not participate in this discussion.

With that said, I think I'll just let her weigh in on whether or not your suggestion is adequate.
No it's you who is obsessed with race, let it go please. All her requirements have been met, despite your fixation on race issues

Old 12-27-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the other issue with Truckee may be in regards to jobs for the OP.
Yes I agree. I am not really that familiar with her line of work to say
She may need to drive just over the State border to find more work opportunities.
I drive thru Truckee to Grass Valley to work 2x per week
Arrive Wednesday then come back on Friday each week
Truckee pays on average, $3 more per hr but I haven't seen any openings for my line of work yet
Not with the schedule I hold (44 hrs in 3 days)

Better go, I am at work right now

Old 12-27-2017, 11:23 AM

The best suggestion I've heard so far is Denver metro easily. The city itself is flatter, but the great outdoors are close enough, and I can't imagine that the OP would want to hike every day. Plus, you simply aren't going to beat a 9% black population in any Western mountain town.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:42 AM

93,272 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
The best suggestion I've heard so far is Denver metro easily. The city itself is flatter, but the great outdoors are close enough, and I can't imagine that the OP would want to hike every day. Plus, you simply aren't going to beat a 9% black population in any Western mountain town.
That’s not including adjacent Aurora, which is about 15-16%. So, between the 2, there are about 115-120,000 out of about 1 million people.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That’s not including adjacent Aurora, which is about 15-16%. So, between the 2, there are about 115-120,000 out of about 1 million people.
They are both in the same metro, but I admit I didn't think any other city in Colorado would be higher than Denver itself. That number is astounding.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,954 times
cyclist1968 glad to hear you found your part time home in paradise in Sierra City!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.