Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 AM

9 posts, read 5,626 times

Advertisements

Ah, I know how that feels. But making a big move like that takes a lot of planning and it can be kind of intimidating. If we weren't so done with this area I would probably be hesitant.

I'd even consider Canada if I knew that the move wouldn't be painful and expensive. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I am from So.Indiana/Louisville, KY. I moved to the Bay Area (California) about 2 years ago. I was offered a promotion with my company that required a move to Rochester. I visited and loved it, but decided against it. I’m still not entirely sure why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 10:08 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Capitol District area of NY state is one possible area (Latham, Guilderland, Colonie, etc.). Houses can be pricey, depends on where you live, but property taxes high, too. Glens Falls possibly. Farther up North of there. Another possible area is Ulster County--Kingston or maybe Saugerties. The taxes are less expensive in Ulster overall I think. I lived in NY for years and those are my personal favorite areas. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:18 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
https://taxfoundation.org/publicatio...rden-rankings/

Old 12-29-2017, 10:21 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
OP, remember that many rural and semi-rural areas of upstate New York have been economically depressed and finding work (depending on what you do) may prove difficult. Even employment in some of the larger metros can be hit or miss. But if you can find the work you need upstate could be just fine.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:32 AM

I'm not particularly looking for NY, though that seems what everyone is suggesting. I'm still planning a road trip to check out parts of NE states. I'm still considering Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Jersey, Virginia, New Hampshire, and Maine (and small parts of Maryland)

@Gerania, thanks for the link! It was very helpful <3

Is it all of NY that has high taxes? Or is it's average over all higher because NYC is in NY.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:07 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaraine View Post
I'm not particularly looking for NY, though that seems what everyone is suggesting. I'm still planning a road trip to check out parts of NE states. I'm still considering Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Jersey, Virginia, New Hampshire, and Maine (and small parts of Maryland)

Is it all of NY that has high taxes? Or is it's average over all higher because NYC is in NY.
Property tax RATES can be high, but in much of Upstate NY, the median home prices are low. Hence this ranking in relation to median family income: https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...ity-index.aspx

https://www.nahb.org/-/media/Sites/N...l-by-rank-q317 (4th category)

That list includes property taxes into the equation and you’ll notice how high many NY areas are. Housing costs make up roughly 30% of overall cost of living, the biggest chunk.

In terms of NY State, that can range from just about as expensive as you can get(parts of NYC area) to areas that essentially come close to rivaling Southern areas that aren’t as popular(say Lewis County). So, tax burden is only one part of overall cost of living and all things should be considered.

Employment will depend on skills/education and what one is willing to do in relation to job availability. There are companies, in spite of the general narrative, that are literally looking for people in that part of the state. So, even that will depend, just like everywhere else. Say you like Geneva, perhaps places like BonaDent and ITT/Gould Pumps in Seneca Falls, Zotos International or Hobart College in Geneva or Constellation Brands in Victor or Canandaigua are some companies nearby.

Here is another way to compare cost of living by area: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...ty-map-2016-7m

Most and least expensive places in America: Regional price parity map - Business Insider

The actual source and you can view the exact rating by metro area: https://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cf...step=1&isuri=1

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-29-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 01:29 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
As far as crime, it's usually isolated in certain areas of any city anywhere. Staying out of those areas dramatically cuts down on chances of becoming a victim. That's true no matter what part of the nation you live. That's sort of the same with "culture" and more rural areas (excluding smaller college towns). No place is perfect and the "grass is greener" syndrome can easily set in. Having said that, I'd suggest Rochester, NY. It's relatively safe, affordable, and has a lot to offer in many ways. It does have brutal winters. Outside of that, it's one of the more underrated metros in the country. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2017, 11:13 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaraine View Post

I like New Jersey. I really do. But, their taxes are high. New Jersey cities aren't their selling point; it's the towns that make it worth staying there: Morristown, Princeton, Haddonfield. There are others.

If I were planning to move there, I'd go to the Philly metro area. Anything within a reasonable distance of New York City just costs too much.

My son works in Berlin, New Jersey. About six months ago he realized that he could afford to buy a house there. It's the kinder and gentler New Jersey, and you can still get to Philly pretty easily. Jazz? World class food? Yes to both.

Last edited by Gerania; 12-29-2017 at 11:24 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 05:10 AM

@ckhthankgod Thank you again for the information. I have so many tabs open to look up and read through and it is VERY helpful <3 I couldn't find anyone in person who could help me with analytical numbers like this.

By all means, I understand that every metro/city area isn't the best and crime goes up. However living in and traveling around the south all my life I've just have been around a lot of... groundless objection. Moving north is more for a change of pace rather than thinking it's all lush living and green grass.

Again, I would move out of country if I could afford it.

I figured that we could try our hand northward- we've traveled a bit up there before and I've been reading up on it a lot. The cost of living is a bit more, the taxes are higher, land is more expensive as well as houses (in some cases). We have only one or two friends who live up north and no family, so it's strictly a hope for better change.

The finger lakes area of NY seems really nice and the southern Albany area of NY is very pretty. We're planning a road trip to view cities first hand at some point (Perhaps spring?) and I'm looking forward to it. Parts of Vermont seem really nice and I wanted to visit there, but there also doesn't seem to be much for us there. So as of right now the trip would be taking us through the mountains of Virginia, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, to Rochester NY, Albany NY and then back down the coast towards NC. I'll just have to try and not see the towns through rose tinted glasses (which is why I don't want to travel in the fall- I love everywhere in the fall)

Old 12-30-2017, 05:17 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Stay out of New England, NY, NJ, and MD. Cold, high cost of living, and most are nanny states with lots of unreasonable restrictions. PA, OH, WV are more reasonable, and for the most part less costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.