Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:48 PM

40 posts, read 46,019 times

Advertisements

San Francisco.

No, not at all. I get more negative (how the hell do you live here? why? why are there so many homeless people?) comments than good ones.

It's always the same "I like coming to see you but I could NEVER live here".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 02:51 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Those comments don't sound snarky unless we are missing the tone. And yeah, a lot of my family and some longdistance friends do get jealous of where I, or rather my parents, live. I think it has a lot to do with the grass is greener on the other side.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:56 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I use to think that people where smarter and more well rounded in large cities like NYC, Chicago, DC and San Francisco. When I had the opportunity to live in Chicago I found out different. People are people regardless of where they are from. Intellect doesn't always come from a place. When I lived in the Raleigh Durham area of North Carolina, I met many smart & very sophisticated people. I know some young people in the rural south who run successful businesses, have passports, travel the world and have advanced degrees.

I do know that cities offer many things but when people get into their daily grind of working, dropping kids off at daycare, church, football league, life is becomes very similar to what people experience in smaller cities and towns.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I use to think that people where smarter and more well rounded in large cities like NYC, Chicago, DC and San Francisco. When I had the opportunity to live in Chicago I found out different. People are people regardless of where they are from. Intellect doesn't always come from a place. When I lived in the Raleigh Durham area of North Carolina, I met many smart & very sophisticated people. I know some young people in the rural south who run successful businesses, have passports, travel the world and have advanced degrees.

I do know that cities offer many things but when people get into their daily grind of working, dropping kids off at daycare, church, football league, life is becomes very similar to what people experience in smaller cities and towns.
Very much agree with this. There could be people who are more exposed to various things, but I also find the average person, even if they live in a big city, aren't on average actually exposed to as much as they think they are. In NYC and Chicago, two big cities I have lived, people will tout being in a city that has a ton of different cuisines for example, but when it comes down to it the average person doesn't know as much as they think because they aren't actually exposing themselves a lot to these things either on purpose or indirectly. They just like to brag that they're from a city with Nigerian food or something but never actually eat out at a Nigerian restaurant or have friends from the country/culture. Of course, there are many people who are in fact exposed, but on average this is what I've found. They will brag that they're from a place with 10 art museums, but only go to a few of them once per year.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:32 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
yes.
openly.
i live really close
to a world-class hospital complex.
Saudi Sheiks and Google Gazillionaires
come here for ROUTINE appointments.
of course, no one in my family can afford it.
but...they are jealous i'm 18 minutes away.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:01 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

Very good assessment. I completely agree. Stereotypes are very hard to break.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
yes.
openly.
i live really close
to a world-class hospital complex.
Saudi Sheiks and Google Gazillionaires
come here for ROUTINE appointments.
of course, no one in my family can afford it.
but...they are jealous i'm 18 minutes away.
Why is that something to be jealous of? You or your family can’t afford it, so can’t take advantage of it.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:45 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I live close to the OP in Orange County, CA. All of my family (6 siblings) grew up here but is now out of state, and not one of them has anything good to say about SoCal except one. One sister moved from Lakewood (Long Beach) to Oklahoma a few years ago, and she would give anything to come back. So would her kids. They especially love the weather here and despise the OK weather. Plus, there is a serious lack of amenities close to where they live, so they have to drive everywhere, and they don't like that.

My other siblings mostly make snide comments about traffic, smog, heat, lack of (their preferred style of) trees, cost of living, politics in California, etc. and say they're so glad they moved away when they did.

My husband's brother also grew up here, but lives in Germany. He and his family also frequently talk about the great SoCal weather, but they also brag about the benefits of living in Germany.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:57 PM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
I have a few family members and friends who are jealous that I escaped Northern Ohio. I only moved 6 hours South into Kentucky, but while they are getting feet of snow in the snowbelt of Ohio, it has not snowed once this year in Central Kentucky. Some of my friends are jealous of the recreational, boating, hiking-rock climbing and camping opportunities where I live and the milder weather, compared to Northern Ohio.

I find Kentucky to the best kept secret of the Southern States and hope it stays that way and I think some of my family has finally realized this as well.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:47 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Every place is what you make of it. If people are constantly saying they're jealous of where you live, it wouldn't seem that they're making the best of where they live.
In some areas and in some situations, you can't polish a turd no matter how hard you try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.