Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:07 PM

239 posts, read 232,380 times

Advertisements

Best Suburbs in the US:
NYC (NNJ, CNJ, Hudson Valley, LI, Fairfield and New Haven Counties in CT)
Philly (Main Line, Bucks, South Jersey, that mass of land west of Philly that isn’t the Main Line - not sure what to call it)
Boston (North Shore, MetroWest, South of Boston, Southern New Hampshire, parts of RI)
DC (I think the Maryland side is nicer than the VA side, but they are both great)
San Francisco (the Peninsula, the East Bay, Marin)

I find Northeastern suburbs to be much nicer than other cities in all the other regions. The architecture is better, they are lower densit, the transit access is better, and the schools are better. Also, the scenery is more my taste. I prefer hilly Eastern scenery to the flatness of Middle America and the unpredictability of Western cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:18 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Best Suburbs in the US:
Philly (Main Line, Bucks, South Jersey, that mass of land west of Philly that isn’t the Main Line - not sure what to call it)

I find Northeastern suburbs to be much nicer than other cities in all the other regions. The architecture is better, they are lower densit, the transit access is better, and the schools are better. Also, the scenery is more my taste. I prefer hilly Eastern scenery to the flatness of Middle America and the unpredictability of Western cities.

Its called the Brandywine Valley Places like West Chester, Kennet Square, Chadds Ford, etc. are all comprised of this area within Pennsylvania.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Its called the Brandywine Valley Places like West Chester, Kennet Square, Chadds Ford, etc. are all comprised of this area within Pennsylvania.
Oh haha!!! I have always heard it referred to as that massive land mass west of Philly that is not the Main Line! I can’t believe I have never heard its real name! Thank you for telling me! It is a very pretty area, but I do think the Main Line and Bucks are nicer.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Oh haha!!! I have always heard it referred to as that massive land mass west of Philly that is not the Main Line! I can’t believe I have never heard its real name! Thank you for telling me! It is a very pretty area, but I do think the Main Line and Bucks are nicer.
Yea I love Bucks County, it is just so pretty. Brandywine Valley is also very pretty, lots of old legacy institutions in the Brandywine Valley of PA; ranging from Longwood Gardens, Philadelphia Polo Club, etc.

Also Montgomery County, PA is also very pretty north of the city. Places like Jenkintown, Abington, Ambler, Ft. Washington, Lower Gwynedd all have remarkable homes and are lined with really great walkable towns with character and transit access

But yea I love Bucks County as well as The Main Line

Old 01-24-2018, 06:14 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times
It would be hard not to include Chicago's North Shore among the very best suburban areas in the nation.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Yea I love Bucks County, it is just so pretty. Brandywine Valley is also very pretty, lots of old legacy institutions in the Brandywine Valley of PA; ranging from Longwood Gardens, Philadelphia Polo Club, etc.

Also Montgomery County, PA is also very pretty north of the city. Places like Jenkintown, Abington, Ambler, Ft. Washington, Lower Gwynedd all have remarkable homes and are lined with really great walkable towns with character and transit access

But yea I love Bucks County as well as The Main Line
Yes, they are all great. South Jersey is wonderful, too! And the proximity to the beach is great. So is PATCO. I really think Philly punches way above its weight in the quality and wealth of its suburbs. They are spectacular and really not too far behind NYC. However, the New York suburbs are the suburbs of New York, and that makes them special. They also are wealthier, and the schools are better, overall. Philly has great suburbs, but they feel like just one section of suburban New York. Probably most like North/Central Jersey with the topographical and developmental diversity. The only area of suburban New York potentially comparable to Bucks could be Somerset/Morris/Hunterdon Counties or parts of Northern Fairfield County.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are all great. South Jersey is wonderful, too! And the proximity to the beach is great. So is PATCO. I really think Philly punches way above its weight in the quality and wealth of its suburbs. They are spectacular and really not too far behind NYC. However, the New York suburbs are the suburbs of New York, and that makes them special. They also are wealthier, and the schools are better, overall. Philly has great suburbs, but they feel like just one section of suburban New York. Probably most like North/Central Jersey with the topographical and developmental diversity. The only area of suburban New York potentially comparable to Bucks could be Somerset/Morris/Hunterdon Counties or parts of Northern Fairfield County.

Yea I think SEPA has a bit of its own flair compared to NYC suburbs and this mostly comes from the amount of open space, especially in places like The Main Line and Brandywine Valley and probably more closely resembles Boston suburbs between the 3.

But IMO the 3 best suburban regions in the USA are definitely NYC, Philadelphia and Boston. All 3 are legacy cities and therefore have some major wealth, architecture, history and character within their suburbs as well as impeccable transit access.

Things you will just not find in sunbelt metros

D.C best suburban county is Montgomery County, MD. IMO. The rest of suburban D.C is eh. Slightly more generic compared to BOS, NYC and PHL.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:45 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Quote:
I am really referring to Suburban regions. Not just one or 2 towns per say. I have always thought the topography of Seattle would make the suburbs there quite nice. Although I read and someone told me overall they are quite generic in their built environment and in terms of public schools are lacking.

Atlanta IMO is as generic as they come.
Have you even been to Buckhead? Or seen pictures of it? If that is generic, give me average all day long.

Laughable.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Yea I think SEPA has a bit of its own flair compared to NYC suburbs and this mostly comes from the amount of open space, especially in places like The Main Line and Brandywine Valley and probably more closely resembles Boston suburbs between the 3.

But IMO the 3 best suburban regions in the USA are definitely NYC, Philadelphia and Boston. All 3 are legacy cities and therefore have some major wealth, architecture, history and character within their suburbs as well as impeccable transit access.

Things you will just not find in sunbelt metros

D.C best suburban county is Montgomery County, MD. IMO. The rest of suburban D.C is eh. Slightly more generic compared to BOS, NYC and PHL.
Yes, although suburban Boston feels more piecemeal. It’s architecture also tends to be worse, IMO. But those three cities blow away the others, especially Southern and Western cities. The North Shore of Chicago is beautiful, too. DC’s suburbs are ok, I guess.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:55 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
No order:

Eastern Mass
Chicagoland
Philadelphia Area
Southern Connecticut
Detroit Area
Cleveland Area
Maryland/Northern VA
Totally agree with this list! This list would include places like Brookline, Marblehead, Wellesley, Newton in Mass; Glencoe, Winnetka, Hinsdale, Glen Ellyn, Lake Forest, Western Springs in Chicago; Villanova, Bryn Mawr in Philly; Westport, Greenwich, Darien in Connecticut; Grosse Points, Birmingham and Bloomfield in Detroit; Shaker Heights in Cleveland; and Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac in Maryland and Mclean, Vienna and Alexandria in VA.

All great towns with charm and livable.

I would add Beverly Hills, Bel Air, San Marino, and Pasadena to the list in LA, with Newport Beach, Laguna Beach and Corona del Mar as fairly historic and certainly beautiful. In SF, Piedmont, Atherton and Tiburon/Belvedere are very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.