Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:11 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Have you even been to Buckhead? Or seen pictures of it? If that is generic, give me average all day long.

Laughable.

LOL. I said suburbs not areas part of the City Proper.

If you want to compare districts within the city then fair game: With that Buckhead in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM can compare to Chestnut Hill Philadelphia

I provided a link with more photos

https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...w=1297&bih=579
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Buckhead, being the uptown district within the City of Atlanta kid of negates it as a true "suburb", but it is a lovely, leafy, exceedingly wealthy spot with many historic estates, a booming office corridor, and arguably the best shopping in the South. Perhaps it did rank as a "top suburb" before its annexation to the City of Atlanta in 1952.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 PM

405 posts, read 476,111 times
No order, cities with my favorite suburbs:

New York (obviously, homer sorry ) - North/Central NJ and Nassau County LI are my favorites, with having the best access into the city and beach access, along with some of the best public schools in the country. Taxes are AWFUL though, but I think quality comes at a price.

Chicago - Although Illinois is obviously flat, I really loved the North Shore suburbs and found them to be beautiful, as well as some of the other happening suburbs to the west like Naperville, Schaumburg, etc.

Los Angeles - OC, obviously, has some of my favorite suburbs in the country. Newport Beach, Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Huntington Beach..the list goes on. If I won the lottery, the first thing I'd buy is a house in Newport. Mark my words!

Philadelphia - Main line is obviously beautiful, South Jersey areas are nice too and can actually get decent homes in the suburbs for a good price (better than the NY suburbs in NJ)

Old 01-24-2018, 11:52 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
LOL. I said suburbs not areas part of the City Proper.

If you want to compare districts within the city then fair game: With that Buckhead in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM can compare to Chestnut Hill Philadelphia

I provided a link with more photos

https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...w=1297&bih=579
I don't think Philly can touch Atlanta in that regard, Buckhead is on another level.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:52 AM

508 posts, read 616,097 times
No particular order:

Birmingham, Alabama (Mountain Brook, Hoover, Vestavia, Pelham, Alabaster)

Los Angeles, California (Ontario, Eastvale, Corona, Chino)

Atlanta, Georgia (Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (forgot names, but I recall many)

Tampa, Florida (forgot names, but I recall many)

Old 01-25-2018, 01:19 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I don't think Philly can touch Atlanta in that regard, Buckhead is on another level.

Not saying Buckhead is not nice. I am aware it is affluent. But ugh. Clearly you have no idea of the Philadelphia suburbs. Which I do not expect you too. I mean our Quaker roots really teach us its gouache to flaunt.

This is not a contest of which Metro is the most affluent or has the most money. That is plain dumb. But because you insist Philadelphia cannot touch Buckhead. Well I am a person who just cannot stand ignorance. Because well Atlanta would loose to Philadelphia FYI.

This post is about measuring the unique qualities of and mind sourcing the 'best suburbs' of all the metros. The metrics which I outlined in the first post are not about comparing wealth. I mean to compare suburbs based on wealth alone is just plain DUMB. It is all about character, natural beauty (open space, preservation, etc.), history, transit access. etc.

There are MANY affluent suburbs in every single metro in the USA. I am not denying any of that.

But certain legacy suburbs are just on another level.

The new suburbs have houses on a golf course.

The legacy suburbs have estates the SIZE of a golf course. And that is the main difference. But I again cannot stand ignorance so I must squash your belief that Buckhead in ATL, GA is the most exclusive place in the USA. Because well it is not.

I really have no interest in getting to a wealth battle with you. Atlanta is not a poor metro. But based on size, each metro's wealth is quite relative to their size, and well honey, PHL > ATL. Again though I could care less about comparing that b.s. But I also care more about squashing ignorance.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

My question was to compare also metropolitan areas, and their entire suburban make up. Not one place within a metro. And I hate to say it. But Atlanta suburbs as a whole are nothing unique or interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Ee_6QxKN4

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-25-2018 at 01:39 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 04:36 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Ohio has the best suburbs of any state.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:55 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post

Look up basic statistics, the Philadelphia area is overall wealthier and provides a much much better range of architectural styles. Yes, Buckhead is wonderful (I have been several times), but that is in Atlanta and also one municipality. I know ATL area has beautiful neighborhoods and municipalities, but I could name 3 or 4 dozen towns in metro Philly, NYC, Boston, and Chicago (respectively) that compare to Buckhead from an economic standpoint and far exceed most ATL suburbs from an aesthetic standpoint.

There are lot of misconceptions about Philadelphia suburbs because they fall under the radar moreso than NYC, and they are often lumped with the city of Philadelphia, but there has been thread after thread about suburbs on here and PHL is consistently viewed as among the best.

We are also not talking about Philadelphia, we are talking about suburbs. Just look up stats of Montgomery County, Chester County, Delaware County and Bucks County and compare them to the counterparts in the Atlanta area, not even close. That doesn't even include South Jersey and Northern Delaware.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:57 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Does anywhere come close to the amount of major nationally famous landmarks that are in Boston suburbs? Old North Bridge, the house of the 7 gables, Walden Pond, Plymouth Rock, and Harvard Sq.? Philly has Valley Forge but that's it for places of similar acclaim, NYC has West Point, DC has Monticello, but I don't think any of them have more than 1.

I think what's telling is when someone from the Boston area goes somewhere and talks about Lexington, Concord, Plymouth, Salem, or Lowell people will say a little something about that town, but that doesn't really happen for any other Metros with a couple exceptions but Boston seems to have more.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:06 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
It would be hard not to include Chicago's North Shore among the very best suburban areas in the nation.
Absolutely.

Winnetka, Willmette, Kenilworth, Glencoe are beautiful. Lake Forest too. I'd also add the western suburbs- I love LaGrange and Hinsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.