Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
"Bible-minded" is but a subset of those who practice a formal religion. Many of the "least bible-minded cities" on this list have large numbers of Catholics, mainline Protestants, Mormons (in Salt Lake City's case, anyway). orthodox and other practicing Jews. None of these groups spend much time reading the bible (certainly not on a daily basis). Conversely, the most bible-minded cities are located in the (wait for it) Bible Belt.
Having lived in cities with high numbers of Catholics, mainline Protestants, and practicing Jews, they are places where it is easy to get along with people of differeing viewpoints, and since there is a diversity of religion and politics, people don't tend to assume you are on the same wavelength and it just doesn't come up, or if it does, people let you be you.

The tough places are places where everyone believes the same thing. If you go against the grain, you are a pariah, and if you share the popular belief, you just become a drone in the hivemind. Neither is preferable in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 06:38 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
The interior West is very low on religious adherence and also cost of living. Have you looked there?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:02 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
When I think of "Cheap" I always think comparatively. Austin to use that example is not what I consider "cheap" at all. Austin is less expensive than SOME of the major coastal cities, (even then, Philly and Baltimore are possibly cheaper.

In the State of Texas Austin is the 4th largest metro and is either the 1st or 2nd most expensive city to live in (trading off with Dallas which has a metro almost 4 times the size, major sports etc.)

In Texas the "cheap" city would be San Antonio.

San Jose aside, Austin is the most expensive city in its 2 million metro class. Comparable cities would be: Vegas, Cincinnati, KC, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Nashville and on the Smaller end (about half a million less) Milwaukee. ATX is more expensive than all of these cities. Housing is double the cost than some of them.

No knock on ATX, it is a great city, and there are plenty of reasons many people like it there, but it isn't cheap at all, not anymore.

Just because Austin has a low tax rate doesn't make it "Cheap" comparatively.

Chicago or Philly might work for you. Both are comparatively cheap for what they are and pretty liberal as well.
Alot of truth here. IDK, how it compares to Chicago price wise, but I suspect you get more for your money there.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Spokane?

Not too liberal but I'm sure it's pretty atheist.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Alot of truth here. IDK, how it compares to Chicago price wise, but I suspect you get more for your money there.
Yeah, I don't really see Chicago and Austin as comparable cities.

I think on one hand the more expensive parts of Chicago will be more expense than anything in Austin, but on the cheaper end, there are more affordable, granted, not so fashionable, urban neighborhoods in Chicago that are also safe. You could get a bungalow in Chicago much cheaper than a similar house in Austin in alot of cases due to the pure volume of them.

Austin has such a tight market that I think there is more upward pressure on the whole market, while in Chicago it's more the trendy and starting to trend neighborhoods that are pricey, but the city itself is not really growing.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:56 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
For liberal, start with university towns. For cheap, you might want to consider a more rural state, or one not on a coast at least. And for atheist - that's harder. No place is completely atheist, but you can certainly look for "less religious" places.

There are loads of places that meet your criteria in New England, just stay more rural and away from the coastline to keep it cheap. I would also think places like East Lansing, MI or Iowa City, IA would meet your needs.

Tucson, AZ may be another choice. Blue city in a red state, big university. I've lived there and it's not that religious of a place.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:31 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
For liberal, start with university towns. For cheap, you might want to consider a more rural state, or one not on a coast at least. And for atheist - that's harder. No place is completely atheist, but you can certainly look for "less religious" places.

There are loads of places that meet your criteria in New England, just stay more rural and away from the coastline to keep it cheap. I would also think places like East Lansing, MI or Iowa City, IA would meet your needs.

Tucson, AZ may be another choice. Blue city in a red state, big university. I've lived there and it's not that religious of a place.
Yeah for university towns they might consider Moscow, Idaho which is right across the border from Pullman Washington. Both are cheap and liberal and in a part of the country that isn't very religious.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:41 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
You are not going to find any especially major cities like that. Face it America is a really religious country in general.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:48 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
You are not going to find any especially major cities like that. Face it America is a really religious country in general.
Except that it isn't. Adherence vs self labeling should be considered.

In Chicago my hometown most are Catholic. I don't ever remember anyone ever approaching me about religion in all the decades I lived there.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:17 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
It seems like most of the cheap American cities are ultra conservative but correct me if I'm wrong.
Richmond, Nashville, Charlotte, Orlando, Raleigh/Durham, Norfolk, Louisville.

Not sure what "extremely" liberal means, but Richmond and Charlotte and Norfolk are all 75%+ Dem with large White liberal populations. Durham as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.