Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:47 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

These days, I live on the threshold of exurban and rural, and it's grown on me. There's less crime, noise and traffic, and more space and privacy. I have all the basics nearby. One mile to my north is the nearest traffic signal, with a gas station, a dollar store and two restaurants at the intersection. Three miles to my south is another traffic signal at the intersection of a major arterial highway, with a supermarket, pharmacy, and several more restaurants and gas stations in the vicinity of the intersection. Two miles further south is full-blown suburbia, with several residential subdivisions and condo complexes centered on a large commercial development. In spite of all that, just two miles to my east is where all suburban and exurban development ends, and the landscape becomes completely rural. It's very easy for me to "get out of town" and take a Sunday drive down on the backroads in rural Georgia. As for the city, Atlanta is close enough for a day trip, but far enough away that the rural areas nearby will remain rural for a long time to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 08:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I don't necessarily want more friends my age. It's nice to have a few, since if you're around the same age as someone else you're more likely to be in a similar career stage and have more time to hang out, but for me, having similar interests and being able to hold intellectual conversations is a lot more important.
That all sounds very nice, but the reality is somewhat different. Most of us have friends near our own ages, so it seems.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:48 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
These days, I live on the threshold of exurban and rural, and it's grown on me. There's less crime, noise and traffic, and more space and privacy. I have all the basics nearby. One mile to my north is the nearest traffic signal, with a gas station, a dollar store and two restaurants at the intersection. Three miles to my south is another traffic signal at the intersection of a major arterial highway, with a supermarket, pharmacy, and several more restaurants and gas stations in the vicinity of the intersection. Two miles further south is full-blown suburbia, with several residential subdivisions and condo complexes centered on a large commercial development. In spite of all that, just two miles to my east is where all suburban and exurban development ends, and the landscape becomes completely rural. It's very easy for me to "get out of town" and take a Sunday drive down on the backroads in rural Georgia. As for the city, Atlanta is close enough for a day trip, but far enough away that the rural areas nearby will remain rural for a long time to come.

The type of area you live in sounds perfect for me. Hopefully it's cheap to live in that kind of area. I like exurban areas with a suburb close by. I like space, privacy, less crime, and less noise. I hope living in somewhat of a exurban/rural threshold suits a young person like me.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:32 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That all sounds very nice, but the reality is somewhat different. Most of us have friends near our own ages, so it seems.
Yep. I know my position is an unpopular one, but I've always had friends of a variety of ages and I like it that way.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:12 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Yeah Glendale, and Pasadena both are very perfect for me. The only thing is the fact that I lived in the Mojave in San Bernardino County, so I was just tired of the summers, so I moved to Santa Monica,winch is perfect for me as well. Many larger cities do not have all that Santa Monica has. I never have to leave the city, or drive. Those are the type of suburbs I like. the ones that are cities within themselves.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:17 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
The thing I do not like about California is that every piece of civilization is a big city and suburban like the suburbs in NJ. California has a lot more open space and yet they have more crowded civilizations than NJ does. That is a reason why I would not prefer California as a first choice dream to live in. Also it is not worth the expensiveness of it either.
What makes things so crowded in California is how mountanous things are here. On paper there's a lot of land, but in reality its all bisected by mountains going any kind of way. it's not like the east coast where development can go unlimited, and makes it feel like things aren't so crowded.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Yep. I know my position is an unpopular one, but I've always had friends of a variety of ages and I like it that way.
I don't find anything wrong with your position. Where ever did you get that idea?

Old 03-10-2018, 05:28 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't find anything wrong with your position. Where ever did you get that idea?
Oh, I was interpreting "that all sounds very nice" as a polite way of saying "that's unrealistic". My mistake.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Cities or at worst inner ring suburbs for me. I live in a lowrise in Downtown Phoenix right on the light rail and 3 bus lines and love it

Old 03-11-2018, 10:44 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Maybe you should look into a sunbelt city, they tend to be very suburban in layout but still have the amenities you'd expect of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.