Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

If you want to further sub-divide the South, I would say that Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia (optional), and Virginia represent the Upper South. South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana represent the Deep South and Texas would be the Deep South, Great Plains, and Southwest...Oklahoma the Upper South, Great Plains, and Southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 12:08 AM

382 posts, read 1,069,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
\

Missouri is probably the closest you could get to being a northern, western, eastern, southern state all in one.
Yep, the best of ALL worlds, IMHO. And I hail from what is known as the "Deep South", and I do mean DEEP, which is considered (by us deep southerners) to be Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Depending on one's reasoning, Arkansas, Tennessee and South Carolina are included at times. Louisiana is considered Cajun country governed by Napoleonic law. An alien creature that state is, although alluring. Florida is just FLORIDA! Then we have Alaska and Hawaii. LA, FL, AK and HI are truly entities of their own.

Last edited by SassyGirl2; 04-02-2008 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
AJF, I would not say that West Virginia is "optional" to the Upper South. It is the cornerstone of the Upper South, it is a Southern "fly in amber". The residents are over 90% native born, as were their parents and grandparents. The traditions of the state go back 200 years and are still preserved. Despite the Union junta which created the State, most of the residents respect their roots. The first Confederate memorial was dedicated in West Virginia, and while Confederate monuments are under attack in Richmond, Houston, and other parts of the South, they are perfectly safe in West Virginia, where anyone buried in a Confederate cemetery has at least 50 relatives living within 50 miles. While the rest of the South is overrun by New Englanders and Jerseyites, West Virginia will be about the only place where any sort of Southern standards are maintained. Except for some of the swampier parts of Louisiana.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:03 AM

97 posts, read 766,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
If you want to further sub-divide the South, I would say that Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia (optional), and Virginia represent the Upper South. South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana represent the Deep South and Texas would be the Deep South, Great Plains, and Southwest...Oklahoma the Upper South, Great Plains, and Southwest.
The Encyclopedia Britannica classifies Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia as the 5 Upper/Upland South states. Here's proof.
Attached Thumbnails
what are the names of the diffrent regions of america? united states?-image.gif  

Old 04-02-2008, 01:10 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
When I think of the Midwest, I generally tend to think of the Corn, Grain, and Wheat Belts (Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio). .
What region do you think about when you think about automobiles, steel, tires, heavy industry?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 PM

251 posts, read 895,596 times
The Gulf Coast states. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, LA, Texas

Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM

33 posts, read 235,100 times
Google 'Census Regions'. There is a map of the US broken out into 9 divisions and 5 regions. It will show you the states that fall into each division.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGirl2 View Post
Yep, the best of ALL worlds, IMHO. And I hail from what is known as the "Deep South", and I do mean DEEP, which is considered (by us deep southerners) to be Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Depending on one's reasoning, Arkansas, Tennessee and South Carolina are included at times. Louisiana is considered Cajun country governed by Napoleonic law. An alien creature that state is, although alluring. Florida is just FLORIDA! Then we have Alaska and Hawaii. LA, FL, AK and HI are truly entities of their own.
I got a kick and a chuckle out of this post, as I have a very good friend from Mississippi by way of Alabama (probably even kinfolk along the lines somewhere, since those states are my ancestral home!) and she too limits the definition of "The True South" to just a very few states! Specifically, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia..and grudgingly (for whatever reason) includes South Carolina. She might accept Tennessee if in a generous mood, but that is about it! LOL

Otherwise, to her way of thinking (she is what I call a "Deep South Purist" ) all the rest of the Old Confederate States don't cut the mustard! Florida has too many yankees nowdays. North Carolina and Virginia are too far north, Arkansas is too hillbilly, Louisiana is west of the Mississipi River and Texas is just Texas! LOL (NOTE: This is HER reasoning, not mine. So don't anybody shoot the messenger boy! )

Leaving the rationale of the other states aside, I don't disagree with the Texas part in a lot of ways...although I know she also likes to rag and annoy me whenever the subject of what exactly is the South, comes up!

Of course, to my way of thinking (which plus a dollar will get one a draw beer and that's about it), the South is the 11 Old Confederate States plus Kentucky...but that is because I tend to define in historic terms, and dominating culture. As someone astute once said, "There are many Souths"...and more than any other region of the United States, its definition is going to depend quite a bit on personal experience and outlook on exactly what makes the South Southern! In fact, we once had a thread on this very topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-southern.html

Anyway, point is (if there is one) if the South is defined as being the almost undiluted Old South and land of moonlight and magnolias, then Deep South purists have a good point. On the other hand, if defined in historical terms (or whatever else), it will be something different.

I rambled on here...in my next post I will see if I can actually speak to the original question!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 AM

208 posts, read 605,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
AJF, I would not say that West Virginia is "optional" to the Upper South. It is the cornerstone of the Upper South, it is a Southern "fly in amber". The residents are over 90% native born, as were their parents and grandparents. The traditions of the state go back 200 years and are still preserved. Despite the Union junta which created the State, most of the residents respect their roots. The first Confederate memorial was dedicated in West Virginia, and while Confederate monuments are under attack in Richmond, Houston, and other parts of the South, they are perfectly safe in West Virginia, where anyone buried in a Confederate cemetery has at least 50 relatives living within 50 miles. While the rest of the South is overrun by New Englanders and Jerseyites, West Virginia will be about the only place where any sort of Southern standards are maintained. Except for some of the swampier parts of Louisiana.
I guess it depends who you ask. I've known people from northern WV and they cringe at the idea of being included with the South.

Growing up in NE TN/SW VA, I knew quite a few people from southern WV and they were very similiar to NC, TN, and VA. Those people proudly identified with the South.

Then there's a guy I knew from central WV and he said he doesn't identify with any part of the country. To him, WV is it's own world.

I remember reading a phrase in the West Virginia tourism guide and it said something like "West Virginia: Too Northern to be Southern, too Southern to be Northern, too Eastern to be Western, too Western to be Eastern." I think that sums it up.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
*AHEM* As to the original question, unless I missed it, the most "well-known" I would think is "Dixie" for the Southern United States. Officially, and by dictionary and historical definitions, it is the 11 Old Confederate States. All those states have equal claim to it.

In a more contemporary sense though, it is not so easy to deliniate....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.