Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:33 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Honestly you're probably just driving too slow. I don't know anyone who purposefully tailgates anyone, think of all the times you've done it on purpose, and equate that to the motives of other drivers.
Not really. I always do at least the speed limit and sometimes 5 mph over on average. Drive around the highways in Indiana and you will see the average speed is often times 15 mph over the areas with a 55 mph speed limit. And when the speed limit is 65 or 70, it is probably an average of 10 mph over the speed limit. I don't care if people speed but I have a major problem if they won't pass me in the passing lane when they can and instead choose to ride my bumper for miles on end for no apparent reason other than they expect my car to move into the passing lane to allow them to pass in the cruising lane. And I never clog up the passing lane either. Always pull over to the right if someone wants to pass. I'm not the one with the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Thank you. Everyone I tail gate is going too slow. At stop signs / relights and drive thru windows morons leave massive spaces between their car and the one in front of them. It is so selfish... people are trying to get to the drive thru speaker.. if everyone leaves a massive space people will be backed up when they should be. Put that bumper close to the car in front of you. if you are doing 29 in a 35 mph zone.. and being tailgated... maybe you should speed it up.
That ain't me. I am usually a little over the speed limit. But you get these Type A personality types hyped up on uppers or caffeine that think they are Al Unser and drive way too fast. Yes, people need to leave enough space between other cars and that would help reduce the problem. 3 second rule especially at highway speeds.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
No no no no no.........
Tailgating at lower speeds isnt the problem, even though the self-important person doing the tailgating in that situation should still back off and have some basic human decency and respect. A tap of the brakes, and you're both sitting there for the next couple of hours explaining the situation to the police.
No, tailgating between two people doing 80-85 in a 70 zone on the interstate in thick traffic is when it makes those involved look like psychopaths. A tap of the brakes there gets much freakier.
Don't think that happens? Go to any interstate in the midwest. People simply doing the speed limit should never ever be tailgated, much less should those doing 10 over.
Exactly. I drive in the Midwest daily and it is this bad here.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I see a lot of tailgate in NYC
Haven't driven there in years. Still travel to Hartford from the Midwest and the drive on I 84 isn't that bad nor I 91 when I am on it. Heard the Merritt Parkway is pretty bad and also I 95. But I 95 has been congested as hell for as long as I've been driving.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:44 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Haven't driven there in years. Still travel to Hartford from the Midwest and the drive on I 84 isn't that bad nor I 91 when I am on it. Heard the Merritt Parkway is pretty bad and also I 95. But I 95 has been congested as hell for as long as I've been driving.
NYC drivers are very aggressive with bike lanes, taxi drivers, buses, lane switching every 2 secs etc. Cars would drive on grass, sidewalk, emergency lanes just to cut in front of you.

Last edited by BPt111; 04-02-2018 at 05:56 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 12:38 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Not really. I always do at least the speed limit and sometimes 5 mph over on average. Drive around the highways in Indiana and you will see the average speed is often times 15 mph over the areas with a 55 mph speed limit. And when the speed limit is 65 or 70, it is probably an average of 10 mph over the speed limit. I don't care if people speed but I have a major problem if they won't pass me in the passing lane when they can and instead choose to ride my bumper for miles on end for no apparent reason other than they expect my car to move into the passing lane to allow them to pass in the cruising lane. And I never clog up the passing lane either. Always pull over to the right if someone wants to pass. I'm not the one with the problem.
Yep, as long as you're not in the passing lane, you shouldn't be tailgated at all for doing the speed limit. That does happen more than it should imo.

However, the people that ARE in the far left lane and using it to cruise (at any speed) get no mercy from me. Get. Over. It's quite simple.

Last edited by Mr. Clutch; 04-02-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 12:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yep, as long as you're not in the passing lane, you shouldn't be tailgated at all for doing the speed limit. That does happen more than it should imo.

However, the people that ARE in the far left lane and using it to cruise (at any speed) get no mercy from me Get. Over. It's quite simple.
That's how I am. I only get close in two situations: 1) if I'm behind somebody in the left lane who's either not passing or taking too long to pass another vehicle. 2) if I'm behind somebody and they're driving more than five MPH below the speed limit without a load. If somebody is driving the speed limit on a two-lane road, or in the right lane of a four-lane road, then I don't get close. I also don't get close if somebody is in the left lane and making an obvious attempt to pass another vehicle (or vehicles), or if somebody is hauling a load. Those people have excuses. The people blocking the left lane or driving very slow without a load have none.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:15 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
People are so impatient anymore. I drive on a semi-rural 2 lane road regularly and at any time of the day, some idiot is tailgating me or someone in the other lane driving in the other direction. And no, I am not a slowpoke. One bad winter day with slushy ice all over the roadway, I was being cautious yet still I was tailgated and honked at for driving safely. They also pass on the double yellow line. The sad thing, I just expect it and it doesn't bother me.
My drive to and from work is 40 miles of semi-rural 2-lane road and also can be any time of day...with any kind of weather. Just look at my location

I usually ignore tailgaters or just move to the right a bit to let them pass most of the time; it's their problem they are impatient. No reason for me to take it personally or let it upset me; I'm a Type B and it's just traffic. What do people expect when they get out on the road, lol? I don't poke along; I'm generally going over the speed limit if it's open road and not through a town/city.

I DO get somewhat annoyed when the roads have not yet been plowed and are a slippery mess and some arse-hat decides that it is a wonderful idea to tailgate/honk/otherwise act stupid. We had one wicked bad storm back in February where the plows just couldn't keep up. It's so windy that it's white-out conditions so you can't flippin' see where you are going, the roads are slippery since it had rained and then froze over, and there is a LOT of snow on the road. Did I mention it's also hilly terrain? I'm going along and there is a car in front of me so yes, I'm leaving room because I have no idea if that car is going to stop or how well that person can drive and if I'm going to have to maneuver to avoid an accident.

This guy in a large pickup truck gets right on top of me. He's blowing his horn and gesturing at me. I can't even see his headlights, he's that close on my rearend. The car in front of me gets nervous and slows WAAAY down so I take my foot off the gas and that apparently upsets the pick up truck because I hear the sound of him gunning his engine, see him pull out from behind me and rip around me. I then see him hit an icy patch at the top of the hill, spin out multiple times, hitting a tree, the bridge, then slamming into a parked cop car (no cop in it). I stopped to see if the guy was all right...funny thing is that right as I was talking to him, the owner of that cop car came out of the store

Old 04-02-2018, 01:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I don't mind people tailgating me, I like the company

Old 04-02-2018, 02:36 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Having been rear ended at least a dozen times by these morons
Seriously? If I were you I'd be in a permanent state of perpetual road rage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.