Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:10 PM

19 posts, read 29,057 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to get away from cold. We live in Indiana and I have been struggling with S.A.D seasonal affective disorder. We don't have small children and won't be having any more. Im in my late 30s and he is early 40s.

We are looking for a city that is not over populated, no to cold or to terribly hot, a little snow is ok... but not frigid cold, we are not over religious and we are open minded individuals. We do enjoy some outdoors activities but also enjoy a cozy home night with friends. We dont want to live in the country or in the big city life. Somewhere in between. A suburb area near a bigger city would be okay too. My husband is a government employee so he has a secure job and could transfer even if to a total new position. I myself work from home so relocating is not an issue. We have not had the privilege of traveling a lot so looking for a list of places so we can start doing our research and travel before we make a decision as where we will relocate and of course visit these cities. I was hoping for suggestions?

A few places we considered is Las Vegas (suburban of course) and we know it can get very hot there but it's only for a good 3 months and we read it's a dry heat which is different then the humid heat we get here in Indina. Also Reno, NV but haven't done a lot of research yet but I know it's more Northern so from what I read doesn't get as hot as Las Vegas. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 03:21 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Perhaps consider striking out somewhere a bit more moderate versus an 180 degree extreme from where you are now. Places like Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte and Greensboro-Winston Salem in NC or Greenville-Spartanburg or Columbia in SC strike a balance between big city and suburbs with plenty to do in milder four season climates, yet with plenty of sunshine year-round and while summers can be hot (like pretty much anywhere in the US) it's for all of three months.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:05 PM

19 posts, read 29,057 times
I also considered somewhere in California but I heard it's expensive to live anywhere in Cali.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 PM

123 posts, read 210,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet79 View Post
We live in Indiana and I have been struggling with S.A.D seasonal affective disorder.

A few places we considered is Las Vegas (suburban of course) and we know it can get very hot there but it's only for a good 3 months and we read it's a dry heat

Do not underestimate "dry heat." I currently live in the San Fernando Valley and we get that unrelenting dry heat and it lasts for more than just three months. Today it reached 96 and it's still early Spring. This will last until November. (Global warming at play.) Las Vegas will be even worse. You'll get 116 over there. I'm from New England. I've lived in both kinds of heat.

What have you tried to do to help yourself with the SAD issue?

Old 04-09-2018, 06:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
Reno kinds of fits. It doesn't get too hot but it does get cold and snows but not a lot and it's quite sunny even in the winter.

Las Vegas may fit, it depends if you can tolerate above 105 degrees for months at a time. I personally love the dry heat, but some people call me "reptilian" lol...

Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Perhaps consider striking out somewhere a bit more moderate versus an 180 degree extreme from where you are now. Places like Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte and Greensboro-Winston Salem in NC or Greenville-Spartanburg or Columbia in SC strike a balance between big city and suburbs with plenty to do in milder four season climates, yet with plenty of sunshine year-round and while summers can be hot (like pretty much anywhere in the US) it's for all of three months.
These are good suggestions, but actually anywhere in the Southeast between DC and Atlanta might fit. That area of the country has a moderate four-season climate with many sunny days in most places, even when it gets cold--and it rarely gets very cold or snows a lot. It's a little cooler in the summer near the mountains toward the west--Roanoke Va., Asheville N.C. and the like--hotter and muggier near the coast, like Savannah or Charleston, and the fewest weather extremes either way in the Piedmont. It's an area of the country worth checking out.

Of course depending on where you are there you might have to dodge a hurricane every once in a while. But what's life without some challenges!

Old 04-09-2018, 08:28 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
Do not underestimate "dry heat." I currently live in the San Fernando Valley and we get that unrelenting dry heat and it lasts for more than just three months. Today it reached 96 and it's still early Spring. This will last until November. (Global warming at play.) Las Vegas will be even worse. You'll get 116 over there. I'm from New England. I've lived in both kinds of heat.
I beg to differ that it's going to be over 90 from now until November. (I live in OC and it was 96 here today too. It was a fluke. It won't be this hot tomorrow).

But I DO agree that Las Vegas is more than just a little hot and while it may be dry heat, 110+ is pretty darn unbearable.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:42 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Rio Rancho is a suburb of Albuquerque and the 3rd largest city in NM behind Las Cruces. The elevation is about 5500 ft with four distinct seasons. There will be a little snow in winter but it is gone in a few hours. Summer temps might reach 100 for a couple days. Humidity is low, sometimes single digit. Most houses use evaporative coolers rather than AC which works well and is less expensive than AC It is sunny almost every day. This is the high desert but in close proximity to mountains with plenty of things to do. Albuquerque is across the Rio Grande and Santa Fe is an hour away...Taos about 2 hours or slightly more.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post

What have you tried to do to help yourself with the SAD issue?[/font]
That's not normal, it was a record high after all. The normal high in Riverside today is only 74° and doesn't hit 90° until June 23rd

In Las Vegas today's normal high is 77°, up to 90° May 17th, and 100°+ from June 17th to August 31st

Old 04-10-2018, 01:22 PM

123 posts, read 210,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I beg to differ that it's going to be over 90 from now until November. (I live in OC and it was 96 here today too. It was a fluke. It won't be this hot tomorrow).

But I DO agree that Las Vegas is more than just a little hot and while it may be dry heat, 110+ is pretty darn unbearable.
My poor choice of words is evident since two of you showed disagreements. What I meant is when it does heat up it is pretty relentless and stays that way until November. The Valley is much hotter than the rest of the city. Even 6 degrees for some reason feels so much hotter than when you're just over the hill in Hollywood. That's how it was last year. It wasn't permanent like all the way through, but it would come back time after time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.