Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:14 PM

260 posts, read 323,988 times

Advertisements

What states are the most old-fashioned and "behind the times" in regards to technology and lifestyle?

Or better yet, even more specifically, what areas of states are like this? Folks who still farm and ranch, know their neighbors (if any), value family and/or community, etc?

If the typical "2018 America" lifestyle includes rampant use of social media and residing in an upscale, newly-built condo, then what states/regions/counties represent the opposite lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Even the boonies are connected to facebook nowadays. But, you're talking about any area that's the least populated, for the most part. Areas with ranching, and smaller farms. Even CA has a lot of areas like that.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:58 PM

260 posts, read 323,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Even the boonies are connected to facebook nowadays. But, you're talking about any area that's the least populated, for the most part. Areas with ranching, and smaller farms. Even CA has a lot of areas like that.
Facebook is one thing. Everybody uses that platform, from the global elites to the inhabitants of Brazil's most dilapidated favelas.

But I see young, working-middle class suburbanites abusing Twitter and Instagram like it's their drug of choice. Young people (of my age) with their heads buried in their phones, no ability to communicate or socialize in person. Is this as common in every town/county in the U.S.? I don't know about you, but I see nothing wrong with face-to-face interactions. Are there areas where face-to-face interactions are more common? Perhaps rural and isolated, lower-income areas where Internet connection is very spotty at times?

Old 05-03-2018, 12:05 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Not with the younger people who have cell phones with good connections, I don't think. Except when they're working at a job where they can't be looking at their phones.

I moved from a really small town last year, but even the seniors I knew there (I'm also a senior), would often get together for face to face time together over coffee, etc., and even then, they'd get interrupted by texts and snapchat, etc., and start texting someone back while talking, etc.

I think this is just our new world for the most part.

If I had a family with kids now, I'd require everyone to come to the dinner table without any devices, so we could talk about our days over dinner. But, odds are they'd be thinking about their phones or wanting to get back to some device as quickly as possible.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:49 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah have a lot of people straight out of the 1800s.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
The Amish?

Old 05-03-2018, 09:48 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
What states are the most old-fashioned and "behind the times" in regards to technology and lifestyle?
The Dakotas.

Quote:
Or better yet, even more specifically, what areas of states are like this? Folks who still farm and ranch, know their neighbors (if any), value family and/or community, etc?
This type of area can be found in every state.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:02 AM

82 posts, read 105,068 times
Predominantly Mexican-American towns along the U.S.-Mexico border. I've been to Nogales, Naco, and Douglas, AZ as well as Brownsville and Progreso, TX. I see families out together a lot in these places. The area seems a bit old-fashioned, too, like young girls headed off to school with dresses and matching bows in their hair. I don't know how hooked on technology people are along the border, but socially, the area strikes me as conservative, like from a couple of generations ago.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:13 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:

If the typical "2018 America" lifestyle includes rampant use of social media and residing in an upscale, newly-built condo, then what states/regions/counties represent the opposite lifestyle?
Oklahoma City.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Southwest Virginia. There are plenty of places in Virginia without internet access or municipal utilities. Focus is on church and family. The economy is awful and it's a bit backwards in a lot of ways, but some people really like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.