Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 PM

108 posts, read 502,564 times

Advertisements

Is there some kind of list or check off questionaire that you have found or created that gives you some kind of suggestion as to where to live in big ole country?

How did/do you prioritize what your looking for when deciding where you want to move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:05 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,317 times
For the best site, hands down, that will help you find a place that's right for you, go to Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

You'll answer questions about weather, taxes, economy, schools, hospitals, sports, recreation, museums, airports, crime, population, weather, geography, etc., and then it will list out the places that best fit what you're looking for. 75% of the people I've shown this site to love it. The other 25% said it was fun, but it didn't help them much.

After you take their test, you'll be asked to put in your personal information to get the information. You can just make up information because as soon as you hit ENTER, it gives you your results. VERY NICELY ORGANIZED RESULTS!

Let me know what you think! Actually, I think I'll go take it again myself. It's been awhile so we'll see if anything's changed!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,476 times
Took the quiz. I just moved to the boonies outside Ava, Missouri. The quiz named Branson and Arrow Rock, Missouri as two places I might like.

I love my area. The views are fantastic, the people are great. I do not care for city living, I don't want to open my window and shake my neighbors hand. Having plenty of space is what I looked for before moving. Low taxes, no building/zoning codes in my area. The government isn't telling me to buy a permit to put up a dog house!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Ehh...the quizzes are fun, but I don't really like them. Simply because they leave a lot of great places out, and the questions they use are a bit too black and white. And sometimes they're just plain inaccurate. I like living in a mid-sized, but bustling, city. Find Your Spot mostly gave me places like Danbury, CT.

I'd never trust a quiz to decide where I'd be most happy. I prefer to get personal input and hear from people who have first hand experience with the different cities. That's where CD comes in...

Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
I look at surroundings foremost. I like mountains and rivers and a little bit of geography. I hate plains and flatlands. Then I look at size; I prefer towns around 80,000-200,000. Then the big pull is cost of living, which is often disappointing...

Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,317 times
True, the quiz can't possibly include every city and town, but they do give you a great idea of what AREAS might work out for you. If you DON'T answer certain questions, then it disregards those points when matching you up with cities and towns in it's database. You just fill out what matters to you.

As far as putting 100% stock into their answers, of course you shouldn't do that. It's just a tool to give you a good headstart in looking in the right direction.

I have to say, though, when I was moving back to the states from Ireland, I was considering either Bellingham, WA or Asheville, NC. That's when I found this test and took it. My top three choices, according to the test, were 1. Bellingham, WA, 2. Asheville, NC and 3. Tacomah, WA. So, it pegged me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.