Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 01:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It's going on right next to you in Brooklyn, I wasn't taking about Duchess County. And yes, daily life in the City of New York is being affected by it, in a very scary way.

I also happen to live in area where it isn't 'in your face.' Most of the Metropolitan South is exactly the same way. I have never been asked what religion I am, nor have I ever been invited to someones Church here as so many like you insist is the norm.

At this point I don't believe you actually are from Georgia. In fact, I don't believe that you've ever even been here.
Where in Brooklyn? It's happening in Rockland. I have not heard of any outbreaks in Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
It's going on right next to you in Brooklyn, I wasn't taking about Duchess County. And yes, daily life in the City of New York is being affected by it, in a very scary way.

I also happen to live in area where it isn't 'in your face.' Most of the Metropolitan South is exactly the same way. I have never been asked what religion I am, nor have I ever been invited to someones Church here as so many like you insist is the norm.

At this point I don't believe you actually are from Georgia. In fact, I don't believe that you've ever even been here.
Who said I am from GA?

I am definitely not from GA, lol.

And yes I have been there.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I lived in GA for ten years and loved it. Northwest Georgia in particular is beautiful and the people are great!

Old 06-25-2019, 02:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
When my best friend and I retired from the Army in Kansas, he moved to Maine and I moved to Florida. It's all about comfort levels and what makes you personally happy.

I noted that lot of people are moving to Idaho. Crappy weather but a great place to live.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Where in Brooklyn? It's happening in Rockland. I have not heard of any outbreaks in Brooklyn.
Then you haven't been paying attention, look it up.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:14 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
The south is winning on numerous fronts: cost of living, warm weather, friendly people, and good quality of life.
No, it's not.

That used to be the premise but the reality for those that do their homework is the cost of living (especially housing) is no longer the big bargain it once was in many major Sunbelt cities, and jobs pay a good bit less than other parts of the country while housing costs have soared with rental values in particular approaching much like what is seen in more expensive markets in the Northeast or Pacific Northwest.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:16 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No, it's not.

That used to be the premise but the reality for those that do their homework is the cost of living (especially housing) is no longer the big bargain it once was in many major Sunbelt cities, and jobs pay a good bit less than other parts of the country while housing costs have soared with rental values in particular approaching much like what is seen in more expensive markets in the Northeast or Pacific Northwest.
Those are the main things that are causing people to move there though. You have so many people in the northeast who complain about weather and cost of living and envy how
simpler it is down south. Midwesterners might feel more content with there lives since it's has a lot of similarities to the south but with harsher winters and people being less polite to strangers. Most Northeasterners i met down here in NC stay here for the longrun while the midwest people who come here tend to move back.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:29 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Those are the main things that are causing people to move there though. You have so many people in the northeast who complain about weather and cost of living and envy how
simpler it is down south. Midwesterners might feel more content with there lives since it's has a lot of similarities to the south but with harsher winters and people being less polite to strangers. Most Northeasterners i met down here in NC stay here for the longrun while the midwest people who come here tend to move back.
That's a good way to put it, and I totally agree. People from NYC/Philly/Boston who leave tend to not return, as the weather ain't the best, it's very crowded, traffic sucks, and overall COL is high almost all over that entire region. The only place in the Midwest that has people leaving is Chicago due to the increasing COL (though it's still cheaper compared to multiple east coast cities), but that's about it. Despite even worse weather in the upper Midwest, population in many places like Madison, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Grand Rapids, and Omaha are growing pretty well, maybe not Charlotte or Phoenix fast, but definitely healthy growth.

Also as someone who is from Chicago and still lives here, I've seen a lot more people who left years ago for sunny weather returning back.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:48 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
What do you think?

Because that's what they are, uptight people.
People in south are not generally aggressively chatting up strangers in stores and restaurant, to include people in small towns like Clemson.

It is not uptight to be accurate.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
People in south are not generally aggressively chatting up strangers in stores and restaurant, to include people in small towns like Clemson.

It is not uptight to be accurate.
I find Clemson citizens to be friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.