Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 08:21 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
So, where is the "outward migration" moving to, if they're priced out of the South? I thought we were discussing everyone moving to the South, and now, you're saying, they're moving out. I know Chicago is losing a fair amount of their poor to the south....

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I was writing about the high cost of living Northeast Corridor. If you're making $50K to $75K household income in Boston or NYC tri-state, you're priced out of the housing market and are apt to bail out to the South. DC has the same housing math and typically gets lumped into the Northeast Corridor bucket even though it's south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

We also have retirees bailing out for the same affordability reasons though state & local taxes and climate tend to be bigger levers than housing cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 08:25 AM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Many of the northern states have much better public schools. Perhaps most students aren't from the south, for that reason. If I still had children in school, the south is not where I would choose to live, and have them educated.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/reneemo.../#32e5269b3897
And yet according to your own link, VA is ranked above every midwestern state including your beloved WI.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:30 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
And yet according to your own link, VA is ranked above every midwestern state including your beloved WI.
I'm aware of that, as I posted the link. Virginia and Maryland are ranked well....then, there's the rest.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:48 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
If 33 percent of the students are from southern states, that means 67 percent aren't. So my statement is still correct: most students at Vanderbilt are not from the South.
Yes I understand that. I was adding to your point only bc there are some people on here who like to drag the south

I agree with the point you were making to that person.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:05 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Oh we're still considering VA Southern even though the entire political/economic engine is NoVa which is basically an extension of the Northeast? And lumping in MD with the South is far from reality in today's world.

"Everyone" is moving South because they think that their entire life will be better when they live in a warmer climate in a bigger house. For some people, yeah, that's great. But they don't always consider the fact that the South doesn't provide as much for its citizens. Worse public schools, worse public transit, worse social safety nets, worse job protections, lower incomes, etc. The South is a fine place for millions of people, but in my experience it tends to attract people who don't consider all the variables and just see "housing cheap South good" without realizing the negatives to a cheaper COL.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:30 AM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh we're still considering VA Southern even though the entire political/economic engine is NoVa which is basically an extension of the Northeast? And lumping in MD with the South is far from reality in today's world.
I don't recall mentioning MD. Perhaps you can quote where I did.

As for VA - clearly you don''t know a lot about the state to think the "entirety" of the economy is based in NoVA much less to consider NoVA an extension of the Northeast.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
You couldn't pay me enough money to relocate to the South from the Northeast Corridor. The major problem I have with the South is two-fold: a lack of dense cities, as well as a lack of public transportation. Living in Philadelphia, I can wake up at 7:50AM, be ready to leave my apartment by 8:10AM, take a minute-long walk to my subway stop, catch either a local or an express train, and be at my office tower by 8:30AM. The office is also walkable/bikeable from my place.

Having to purchase a car and live in an unwalkable environment with a lack of decent public transportation would kill my quality of life. I wouldn't be interested in any city that requires having a car to function.

Also, the South has a lack of interconnected interesting cities. If I want to spend a long day and night in NYC, I could catch the 7:44AM SEPTA train out of 30th Street Station, transfer to the 9:59 NJ Transit train at Trenton, arrive in NYC shortly after noon, spend the day doing whatever, head to my favorite bar in Brooklyn, leave at 4AM (that's when the bars close up there), and catch the first NJ Transit departure to Trenton. There is literally nowhere in the South where I could do something like this, let alone via public transit.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:47 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

"Everyone" is moving South because they think that their entire life will be better when they live in a warmer climate in a bigger house. For some people, yeah, that's great. But they don't always consider the fact that the South doesn't provide as much for its citizens. Worse public schools, worse public transit, worse social safety nets, worse job protections, lower incomes, etc. The South is a fine place for millions of people, but in my experience it tends to attract people who don't consider all the variables and just see "housing cheap South good" without realizing the negatives to a cheaper COL.
None of this is true.

Thousands of people have gone to school and college in south and work in high paying professions now. This could not be possible if the schools are terrible

You may not be able to make more money in the south but don't speak for other people

Old 07-26-2019, 10:02 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:

As for VA - clearly you don''t know a lot about the state to think the "entirety" of the economy is based in NoVA much less to consider NoVA an extension of the Northeast.
I know you didn't mention MD. Someone else did.

Ok. Exaggeration. Not the entirety. But a huge portion of the VA economy is NoVa.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:

So you're trying to claim that NOVA isn't an extension of the Northeast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.