Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:19 PM

1,094 posts, read 809,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Before Chicago got its bad and undeserving rap for being a dangerous city, it was hyped up constantly by the national media as well as internationally. And, I don't think Chicago was ever "America's Best Kept Secret" because it had a lot of hype surrounding it plus many celebs and things were launched there like Oprah, Michael Jordan and the Bulls, "Soul Train", "Siskel & Ebert", Blues, Quincy Jones, house music, Kayne, etc. It's also still a tourist destination in spite of its negative rep. Now, on the other hand, my city Cleveland has gotten a lot of crap from the national media over the years. Most people still see it as "The Mistake By the Lake" and its never changed from its Rust Belt (I hate that term) image. Hell, they want LeBron out of Cleveland in the worst way because they feel we don't deserve him. Wanna trade? LOL!
It's pretty interesting how Chicago is now getting a bad rep among the media nowadays, but nobody was talking about Chicago's crime during the crack-epidemic during a time when most major cities in the US was crime-ridden. If you tell a Black person you're from Chicago they'll automatically think you live in the worst hood in the world. Whereas places like Detroit doesn't get nearly as much bad rep (even though Detroit crime is far worst). Detroit does get it fair-share of negativity from the media as being a run-down city, it doesn't get nearly as much scare as Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 10:25 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
It's pretty interesting how Chicago is now getting a bad rep among the media nowadays, but nobody was talking about Chicago's crime during the crack-epidemic during a time when most major cities in the US was crime-ridden. If you tell a Black person you're from Chicago they'll automatically think you live in the worst hood in the world. Whereas places like Detroit doesn't get nearly as much bad rep (even though Detroit crime is far worst). Detroit does get it fair-share of negativity from the media as being a run-down city, it doesn't get nearly as much scare as Chicago.
Since that Chicago rapper and media came to light in 2012 the reputation of city went down in 2011 the reputation wasn't so bad in 2011

Old 06-06-2018, 10:46 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Chicago’s bad rep is because of political narratives. “What about Chicago” is the biggest scapegoat for 2A’ers and people who respond to people complaining of police brutality.

Whenever someone says “that cop shot that guy, he was unarmed”, the reply is almost always “what about all the shooting in Chicago? Why arent you mad at that.”

And when someone says we need gun control, the response is “Chicago has tough gun laws, but look at them!” Also President Obama is from Chicago so they use that as fodder as well.

I visited Chicago last year and it became an instant favorite. It gets positive hype because of its picturesque qualities and good food, but the negativity is alsmost always politics related. CD is the only place ive seen people comment on Chicago’s growth rate. In real life its always “what about Chicago!?” Or “wow! Chicago!!!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Since that Chicago rapper and media came to light in 2012 the reputation of city went down in 2011 the reputation wasn't so bad in 2011
Chief Keef was nowhere near big enough to influence the entire perception of a city.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:52 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Chicago’s bad rep is because of political narratives. “What about Chicago” is the biggest scapegoat for 2A’ers and people who respond to people complaining of police brutality.

Whenever someone says “that cop shot that guy, he was unarmed”, the reply is almost always “what about all the shooting in Chicago? Why arent you mad at that.” Also President Obama is from Chicago so they use that as fodder as well.

I visited Chicago last year and it became an instant favorite. It gets positive hype because of its picturesque qualities and good food, but the negativity is alsmost always politics related. CD is the only place ive seen people comment on Chicago’s growth rate. In real life its always “what about Chicago!?” Or “wow! Chicago!!!”

Chief Keef was nowhere near big enough to influence the entire perception of a city.
The murder rate went up starting 2012

Old 06-06-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I was hearing bad things about Chicago before 2012 which is funny because I visited Chicago in 2012 and when I told some of my family members I was visiting Chicago they were like "be careful" "Chicago has a lot of gun violence". The first time I saw Chicago in a negative light was watching an episode of 106 and Park on gang violence back in 2009.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:19 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
I think the rise in Chicago's gang violence coincided with its one by one removing of its failed notorious housing projects. IMO

they are all gone but remnant town-housing. But its gangs spreading over the city definitely could cause more fighting. The last to go was notorious Mother Cabrini. Near Chicago's most sought after neighborhoods. In the 2012 era. Not sure if any studies have ben done. But a possible correlation?

Locals know the notorious areas and avoid them as it is easy to do.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:53 AM

Atlanta is another city that suffers from media hype, it's considered the black mecca and the capital of the south which is a good thing, but it's growth in the last 2 decades made it suffer because of the genterfication and the hollywood esque culture it brings.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:08 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Judging anyplace solely by Media Hype is beyond foolish. With all the information readily available on the Internet and the ability to travel and make firsthand observations of a city, there is no reason whatsoever to take the word of any one or more sources that touts or degrades a place for whatever reason, usually just to get on a bandwagon to follow a trend. And that’s usually to sell something like newspapers, magazines or air time.

If you want to learn the real facts about a city, do your own research. Look up your own stats. Visit and stay awhile. Talk to its inhabitants. Media hype good or bad is usually not much more than fake news. There may be a bit of truth in there somewhere but it mostly consists of tired old cliches that don’t give the whole picture.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
The murder rate went up starting 2012
I'll repeat. Chief Keef was never big enough to influence the perception of a major city, or create a murder rate rise on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I was hearing bad things about Chicago before 2012 which is funny because I visited Chicago in 2012 and when I told some of my family members I was visiting Chicago they were like "be careful" "Chicago has a lot of gun violence".
I was told the same "be careful" stuff last year. Visited Baltimore city last year too. Was supposed to go with a friend once as just a day trip, and she backed out because "people told her it was dangerous." Both cities have become two favorites. I'll actually be in Baltimore again this month and I'm excited.

Media narrative can create an easy stigma, and then it's hard to get rid of. When I was in Baltimore I saw a bunch of girls in yoga pants walking small dogs. Didn't see any of the doom and gloom that media and people try to paint all of the city as.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I'll repeat. Chief Keef was never big enough to influence the perception of a major city, or create a murder rate rise on his own.

I was told the same "be careful" stuff last year. Visited Baltimore city last year too. Was supposed to go with a friend once as just a day trip, and she backed out because "people told her it was dangerous." Both cities have become two favorites. I'll actually be in Baltimore again this month and I'm excited.

Media narrative can create an easy stigma, and then it's hard to get rid of. When I was in Baltimore I saw a bunch of girls in yoga pants walking small dogs. Didn't see any of the doom and gloom that media and people try to paint all of the city as.
I visited Baltimore in 2013 and I had no problems. If the crime rate wasn't so high in Baltimore it would get more love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.