Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:45 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
But did you know, on a national scale, SACRAMENTO is one of the Coolest major metros for summer mornings, nights and evenings.

No one is saying that Sacramento doesn't get hot in the summer or that it doesn't have the occasional heat wave. The whole point is that for a city that is a hot summer weather city, the climate is mild in the Summer due to abundant cool weather from the Cold Pacific and comfortable temps for 12-20 hours a day, consistent cool nights, evenings and mornings. And thats why folks find Sacramento's weather appealing, especially if they are NOT from the Cali Coast.

Sacramento is almost always in the 50's and 60's all night until noonish the next day. It makes a big difference in your A/C bill, how well you sleep, and to experience actual cool weather EVERYDAY despite warmer daytime highs. This why we tend to be "early birds" in the summer.

This morning June 6, 2018 7:00am - adjusted by 2 or 3 hour difference in time.

Sacramento - feels like temp 53F

New York City feels like temp 62F

Austin - feels like temp 84F - A/C needed 24/7, thats brutal to sleep through and start your day, never happens in Sacramento.
I have no issue with the heat ha. Even gets a little snow in the Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureamongplaces View Post
Is Sacramento underrated and a place to keep an eye on?
Yes, Sacramento is a place to keep an eye on, see this article from Thrill List. Sacramento is about to blow-up as a major Food Destination City.

This is why chefs like Brad Cecchi, who earned a Michelin star at Solbar in Calistoga, California, returned to his hometown to helm the kitchen at Canon in East Sac.

“I’m going into Sac for the same reasons I went into downtown LA (in 2009),” Marvin says. “It’s ready for takeoff. It feels like Portland or Seattle did 10 years ago. There’s a craft culture here, and you see chefs starting to branch out and do their own thing. It’s a phenomenal opportunity to be in Sacramento now.”

Full article here:
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...g-food-city-us

Old 06-07-2018, 07:49 AM

422 posts, read 397,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGateMyst View Post
Compared to the coastal cities in California, it's fairly redneck and the climate is brutal.
Sacramento is hardly "redneck." There may be outlying areas that have a bit of a country feel, but in the central city core is one of the most diverse places in the country. In regards to the climate--Sacramento has one of the nicest year round climates(Mediterranean) with true four seasons. Does it get hot in the Summer? Sure, however it's only for a short time frame and typically always cools down in the evenings. Most of the year it's about as pleasant as it gets.

I would certainly agree that our city is a hidden gem and get's slept on by most posters on CD. Is it as glamorous as LA, world class as SF--certainly not. But it's a city that doesn't pretend to be something its not and most people either love it or hate it which is fine in both regards. The city is having re-defining it's identity and it's great to see all the development, influx of people from across the country(aside from the worsening traffic) and true community non pretentious feel.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:02 AM

603 posts, read 932,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsaeed View Post
Sacramento is hardly "redneck." There may be outlying areas that have a bit of a country feel, but in the central city core is one of the most diverse places in the country. In regards to the climate--Sacramento has one of the nicest year round climates(Mediterranean) with true four seasons. Does it get hot in the Summer? Sure, however it's only for a short time frame and typically always cools down in the evenings. Most of the year it's about as pleasant as it gets.

I would certainly agree that our city is a hidden gem and get's slept on by most posters on CD. Is it as glamorous as LA, world class as SF--certainly not. But it's a city that doesn't pretend to be something its not and most people either love it or hate it which is fine in both regards. The city is having re-defining it's identity and it's great to see all the development, influx of people from across the country(aside from the worsening traffic) and true community non pretentious feel.

Four seasons? When I think of four seasons, I think of at least occasional cold weather and a little snow. Sacramento doesn't have that. I think it has a great climate but I wouldn't call it four seasons.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 AM

422 posts, read 397,163 times
^^^
It may not get as cold as the East Coast, but to us Californians 30 degree lows are considered cold. We don't get much snow, but have been hit with hail flurries this year in Sac and true snowfall is only 50-70 miles to the East.

Average weather Sacramento, CA - January
Average high temperature: 53.8°F
Average low temperature: 38.8°F
Average temperature: 46.3°F
Average Precipitation: 3.62 inch
Average snowfall: 0 inch

This should be able to show the true seasonality of the Sac region in regards to weather.
http://abc7news.com/weather/hail-fal...-snow/3144489/

Old 06-08-2018, 10:40 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
If it makes the OP feel much better:

Quote:
Sacramento is the only place in California I would consider moving to.
(Though Los Angeles is very tempting.)

Quote:
However, upon deeper review. Sacramento seems to have an appealing Mediterranean climate, not so over the top housing, and great access to the outdoors.
Sacramento has a more appealing climate than Austin. Those dry, western Chihuahuan Desert winds in San Antonio and Austin during the summer are terrible! At least San Francisco is nearby to cool-off.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:54 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Four seasons? When I think of four seasons, I think of at least occasional cold weather and a little snow. Sacramento doesn't have that. I think it has a great climate but I wouldn't call it four seasons.
Sacramento has very similar Winter Weather to Austin and Atlanta.

In the 3 months of Winter: the amount of sunshine and clear days listed below:

Austin - 49% sunshine, 27 clear days - slightly colder than Sac
Atlanta - 51% sunshine, 25 clear days - slightly colder than Sac

Sacramento - 54% sunshine, 23 clear days - averages 18 inches of cold rain in the 3 months of winter.

So where do you draw the line? Does Austin or Atlanta have a 4th season called Winter, or is it too warm, lack of snow to be considered winter.

Even if you think Sacramento doesn't have a 4th season called Winter, if you drive less than 30 minutes to the East, not only is it cold and wet enough to be surely called Winter, they also get an average of 100-200 inches of snow. This is Sacramento's "Hill Country". We call it the "Gold Country". If you drive another hour, as you go up the Sierra's, they average 300-500 inches of snow per year. A Mountain Winter Wonderland is between 1-2 hours drive from your Sacramento home.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-08-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 08:10 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
Quote:
Austin is a media darling and rapidly growing. Sacramento is sometimes an after thought, considered to be anemic and without a calling card like "the live music capital."

However, upon deeper review. Sacramento seems to have an appealing Mediterranean climate, not so over the top housing, and great access to the outdoors.

What do you folks think? Is Sacramento underrated and a place to keep an eye on?
Sacramento is underrated in my opinion, but it isn't a city that a majority of people are going to visit and be amazed by it. The only thing that stands out is it comes across as more clean and orderly than the typical big California city.

Sacramento weather like every thing else looks like it is also middle of the road. Relatively cool with chilly nights in the winter and very hot days with a quick cool down at night in the summer.

I remember the few days I was in Sacramento in the late spring. It was close to 100 during the day with a very rapid cool down in the evening. Austin doesn't cool down nearly as much.

Sacramento also has relatively cool and wet winters with chilly over night-time lows with many warm winter days. With Austin, they have a very wide variation of temperatures in the winter with some very warm days.

From the short-time I was there, I wouldn't recommend or not recommend it. Some might like it and some might not.

I didn't find Sacramento friendly or rude. It was just so-so.

I have been to both and Austin in general has more going for it in my opinion economically.

Sacramento is underrated but it isn't really a city that would be my first choice. I wouldn't take a vacation there again but it certainly is a decent city.

I will say Sacramento is very clean especially for a California city.

The city had lots of trees, flowers, rose gardens which is nice but it felt extremely mellow and quiet for a city of it's size.

It is more of a basic, no-frills, clean, orderly, family city. There really isn't a unique element to it like Austin.

Midtown Sacramento seemed like a more low-key, family-oriented area. I don't think there is anything that comes close to 6th street in Austin to Sacramento

Sacramento is extremely affordable compared to other California major cities.

My impression of Sacramento was that it extremely clean for a big city. It isn't a vibrant city in my opinion and it is also a very married, family oriented city which is good for some but not so good for others.

Much of the reason why Sacramento is such a married, family-oriented city is because of the much, much lower housing costs compared to other major California cities.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:00 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:

Sacramento - 54% sunshine, 23 clear days - averages 18 inches of cold rain in the 3 months of winter.

So where do you draw the line? Does Austin or Atlanta have a 4th season called Winter, or is it too warm, lack of snow to be considered winter.

Even if you think Sacramento doesn't have a 4th season called Winter, if you drive less than 30 minutes to the East, not only is it cold and wet enough to be surely called Winter, they also get an average of 100-200 inches of snow. This is Sacramento's "Hill Country". We call it the "Gold Country". If you drive another hour, as you go up the Sierra's, they average 300-500 inches of snow per year. A Mountain Winter Wonderland is between 1-2 hours drive from your Sacramento home.
I think the issue with Austin weather is the length of the summer

Old 06-09-2018, 02:10 PM

603 posts, read 932,111 times
Quote:

I've spent 20 years in Austin. I do not consider it to have four seasons. Average high in the low to mid 60s doesn't sound like winter to me.

I'm not sure what the percent of sunshine has to do with winter. I also don't see where you get that Austin is colder than Sacramento in the winter. According to wikipedia, "winter" high temps

Dec Jan Feb

Sacramento 53.9 53.8 60.3

Austin 62.7 61.5 65.2

I don't see either place as having a real winter. I think most people would agree. The distance to somewhere that actually does have a real winter is irrelevant. Proximity to somewhere else doesn't change the weather in Sacramento.

For what it is worth, I think Sacramento has a wonderful climate, far better than Austin's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.