Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will become the third largest metropolitan area by 2020?
DFW 59 28.10%
Chicago 151 71.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 PM

56 posts, read 118,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
DFW tried to become number 3???
Chicago tries to make the city all dense???
NO! You can as if each city has its own master plan to out do the other....

By the way...that is NOT Dallas Fort worth...that's Los Angeles...
Houston's Clear Thinkers: In defense of urban sprawl (http://blog.kir.com/archives/002561.asp - broken link)

Check your photos next time before you look like a fool.

Aurora shares a small part of the the same county...there in the same metropolitan area, either that or Chicago's metropolitan area is NOT 9 Million.

Yeah....Chicago is real dense...

With the 'dense' part of Chicago in the distance...

I never said DFW wasn't sprawl, and I'm not objecting to Chicago being denser... There are however Denser parts of DFW.
I was originally attacking you for posting manipulated data and ignorant statements... such as "DFW will NEVER pass Chicago"
And the the idea that you rejected DFW as a metropolitan area...
Most of the area between Dallas and Fort Worth is developed, what isn't belongs to DFW international Airport.
now your trying to be passive aggressive. you said the "dense" part of Chicago, meaning your sarcastic, but now your arguing that you don't think it is not dense?

and i never said the picture was DFW, i said this would be your typical DFW neighborhood. Now who looks like the fool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
Well I suppose so, but seeing as you've never been here you really don't have any room to say something like that...I know you've never been here because:
The only parts that look that sprawled out is towards the outer part of DFW.
Houses don't have half a mile between each other...Your 'typical Chicago neighborhood' is roughly what a Dallas neighborhood looks like as well.
When i put 'denser' in quotations, i was intending to mock you because you speak as if Chicago was all like Downtown Chicago...which may I remind you...is not the case.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Your 'typical Chicago neighborhood' is roughly what a Dallas neighborhood looks like as well.
When i put 'denser' in quotations, i was intending to mock you because you speak as if Chicago was all like Downtown Chicago...which may I remind you...is not the case.

I dunno, Chicago's burbs sprawl, but the 3 million people living in the city cover a LOT of land with quite dense housing. It's 237 square miles of density in the city. Only a few pockets on the southwest and northwest side are more typical with houses and side yards.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:39 PM

I have no doubt that Chicago is denser than Dallas, or even more beautiful architecturally.
That wasn't why I was 'fighting'

Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt that Chicago is denser than Dallas, or even more beautiful architecturally.
That wasn't why I was 'fighting'

Really? You've never said Chicago isn't dense? What about this remark:

Quote:

Your credibility, is gone. You go back and forth too much. Obviously DFW will continue to grow, but no where near the rate it has been. The housing markets too bad right now. Chicago will continue to grow as well, and there is no way that DFW will have 9,800,000 people within the next couple of decades.

I think DFW gets passed up by Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, or even Minneapolis before it passes Chicago...You also seem to rule on one huge factor. If there is a huge demand for an area, prices of housing go up, meaning its not as cheap to live their anymore. It becomes just as expensive as New York, L.A, and Chicago.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:09 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracra1 View Post

Your credibility, is gone. You go back and forth too much. Obviously DFW will continue to grow, but no where near the rate it has been. The housing markets too bad right now. Chicago will continue to grow as well, and there is no way that DFW will have 9,800,000 people within the next couple of decades.

I think DFW gets passed up by Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, or even Minneapolis before it passes Chicago...You also seem to rule on one huge factor. If there is a huge demand for an area, prices of housing go up, meaning its not as cheap to live their anymore. It becomes just as expensive as New York, L.A, and Chicago.
You think cities only grow because of one market? Did you ever think of the job market? The cost of living? DFW continues to grow even with the credit crunch. Now, will DFW slow down, more than likely yes. But it will continue to sustain a healthy growth because of it's aggressiveness to create jobs and to bring more jobs to the area. There is also space in the area for it to continue to grow. The city of Dallas is now starting to attract residents again.

What part did you not understand when I said that Boston is already ahead of Dallas? Did you not see me say that Washington-Baltimore is already ahead of Dallas as well? Baltimore metro and Boston metro itself will not surpass DFW at anytime.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:32 PM

27 posts, read 103,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Please don't compare NYC to Chicago. They are completely different. Chicago is the best US Cosmopolitan city while NYC is USA's best International City. They have totally diff. vibes.
I love Dallas. Again not comparable to NYC or Chicago. But Dallas is not for everyone.

Thank you!! There is always those who want to compare Chicago and NYC and I think the way you characterize the cities was on target.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:55 PM

89 posts, read 380,477 times
Sure, I think it's possible. But don't think it can surpas chicago in terms of pride or being famous.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You think cities only grow because of one market? Did you ever think of the job market? The cost of living? DFW continues to grow even with the credit crunch. Now, will DFW slow down, more than likely yes. But it will continue to sustain a healthy growth because of it's aggressiveness to create jobs and to bring more jobs to the area. There is also space in the area for it to continue to grow. The city of Dallas is now starting to attract residents again.

What part did you not understand when I said that Boston is already ahead of Dallas? Did you not see me say that Washington-Baltimore is already ahead of Dallas as well? Baltimore metro and Boston metro itself will not surpass DFW at anytime.
I don't understand what you're trying to say. DFW's growth decreased a lot because of the poor housing market. Its going to take at least ten years before the market was at where it was in late 2006, right before the crash. Anyway, I never said cities grow on one market, I'm saying you need a large amount of white collar jobs for a city to grow. If you took away all the Commercial Office jobs out of Chicago, It would NOT even be on the map. The industrial Chicago failed terribly in the 1950's, resulting in a massive population loss. Now, the new Chicago (based mainly on Commercial Office jobs) is thriving again. So Chicago, is essentially growing on one type of market.

Okay, back to my first point you said that Boston is already ahead of Dallas, and changed to DFW is larger than Boston and Baltimore-DC. It may have been a typo but I'm confused. Anyway, DFW will grow, but not to a 10 million plus one. Its sooooo sprawled out that its just going to come back to hurt them. It may end up like L.A. Poor planning leads to poor efficiency, and commuters sit in 2 hours of traffic going to work, and coming home.

Here is what I think DFW looks like number wise compared to Chicago:

DFW- 8,000,000-9,000,000
Chicago - somewhere near 11 million.

It may be more put who knows. And if you think Chicago is too high, in 2000 the metro was 8,000,000, now its 9,800,000. DFW maybe be a little higher, or lower. Depending on how things work out for it

Old 11-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracra1 View Post
Really? You've never said Chicago isn't dense? What about this remark:

ARE YOU SERIOUS???
JUST SHUT UP, now you are just being a troll.
how does that remark disprove my 2nd statement???
I said I have no doubt Dallas is not as Dense as Chicago, correct?
then you threw the fact i said that YOU though Chicago was this dense dense city like downtwon Chicago...except the whole metropolitan area.
My credibility is still here, I've had my credibility and I try to be unbiased and I fail greatly, but I try...but you??? you have no shame in being arrogant...
You don't prove your point and when I nail you to the wall with face and quote contradicting yourself you refuse to respond, and when I bring it up you act as if you have no Idea what I'm talking about...
and example:
I told you a page back that you posed unfair figures... and you don't know what I'm talking about until I point out spade called you out on it...then you refuse to respond. Then you bring up totally insignificant factors like the density of the metropolitan areas...
Sir, if anybodies' credibility is gone, it is yours... I do not care if Minneapolis or Philadelphia passes Dallas.
But I do care that you make these stupid arrogant remarks about things you know absolutely nothing about.
I don't hate Chicago, and I don't thin DFW will pass Chicago by 2020, but I do think IT WILL... at the rate of growth...
The job market here...is amongst the best in the nation
The price of land and gas is cheaper then Los Angeles and NYC
We have nothing blocking our way to become a more sprawled out metropolitan area unlike NYC and Los Angeles.
I doubt you will take any of my words to heart, as you find them insulting...and I would too...but please at least and try to analyaze your flaws?
No one is perfect...trust me I will tooo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.