Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:17 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Exactly. Sacramento heat makes Gulf Coast summers seem like a cakewalk. These past couple of weeks, though, has been way below average, temperature wise. Just so you know, if you google "Sacramento weather" right now, it's hardly representative and Sac is typically much hotter than now.
But it cools down at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 01:24 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Cools down a bit TOO much in Sacramento. Sure, at 9 pm it might still be 70 degrees, but it's nothing compared to the lovely warmth you get at 10pm at night in Houston when it's still 85 degrees. And, Houston's low temps (i.e. right before sunrise) during the summer get no lower than 75 degrees, making it perfect for a sunrise walk in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops, or even just lounging on your porch.

As others have said, even 100 degree days in Sacramento can start off with people bracing the 55 degree, chilly early mornings in sweatshirts.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM

68 posts, read 66,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Dallas is several leagues above Sacramento as a city and as the DFW metro area, this is not a fair comparison at all. If you were to compare DFW against a similarly sized metro area like the San Francisco Bay Area, then you'd have a more legit argument.

I personally feel Sacramento is actually quite underrated because it's in California and has a lot of competition against the more "glamorous" coastal cities in the Bay Area and Southern California. It has a good location between the mountains and coasts. If Sacramento were the Capital City of a smaller state or a state that didn't have two Alpha Metro Areas, it would get more praise. Sacramento is a lot more comparable to Austin or Nashville in terms of size and amenities.

This sounds more like a rant against California, Californians, and posters on C-D than a legitimate poll/looking for other posters opinions or a stealth way to get people to bash Texas. Dallas isn't my favorite city by a long-shot, but I'd rather live there than many cities, and comparing it to a mid-sized city is ridiculous.

Put Sacramento in somewhere like New Hampshire or Vermont and it would gain some major popularity.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:35 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
July 2016 - Summer

How many 100F Heat Index Days?

Phoenix - 28 Days - heat index

Austin - 26 Days - heat index

Dallas - 26 Days - heat index

Sacramento - 3 Days - heat index

Old 06-22-2018, 08:51 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Cools down a bit TOO much in Sacramento. Sure, at 9 pm it might still be 70 degrees, but it's nothing compared to the lovely warmth you get at 10pm at night in Houston when it's still 85 degrees. And, Houston's low temps (i.e. right before sunrise) during the summer get no lower than 75 degrees, making it perfect for a sunrise walk in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops, or even just lounging on your porch.

As others have said, even 100 degree days in Sacramento can start off with people bracing the 55 degree, chilly early mornings in sweatshirts.
Different strokes....if it's 85 at 10 pm, that's too hot. I'm in shorts in 55.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:17 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Let me clarify. The reason I hate Sacramento's climate is not because it is hot; I comfortably wore three layers yesterday and DFW heat without problem and I do so often. What I hate about Sacramento climate (or that of most Californian cities) are the lack of rain, excess sunlight which do hurt my overly light sensitive eyes, and lack of seasons, even more than DFW (though doesn't apply as much to Sacramento). I love thunderstorms, hail sometimes, and occasional cold snaps that let me wear my pea coats.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:13 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Dallas is the worst, humid hot endlessly, all summer long all day and NIGHT long. Dallas is much lower in latitude than Sacramento as well, hence more intense UV rays in Dallas.

Dallas Winter cold snaps in the teens with deep freezes and black ice never happens in Sacramento.

Of all the major metros in California, Sacramento has the most distinct Fall and Winter. It averages 10 degrees colder than LA, and 5 degrees colder than SF both highs and lows in the Winter.

In the 3-4 months of the wet season in Sacramento averages 20 inches of rain/yr and in the larger region, the average is up to 40 inches of rain/yr. Lots of snowpack is 1 hour away.

Sacramento is in Northern California, its greener, wetter, more snow than SoCal.

A winter in Sacramento will give you days and weeks that look and feel like Portland, Oregon: rainy, damp, wet, cloudy; yet you can also have days that are as mild as LA in the winter. In Sacramento, you actually need a winter coat and you will wear it, not needed in LA.

Another plus for Sacramento is in 1 hour drive time you can find deep snow and a real winter climate in the mountains where there is World Class Snow Skiing. In further east suburbs of the Sac Region, the winter climate is much colder than downtown Sacramento.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-22-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 01:35 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
I know Sacramento is wetter than Southern California, but it still only gets like half or two thirds the amount of rain as Dallas, which even I consider a bit too low.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:11 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Plus it's close to San Francisco (and the rest of the Bay Area) if it gets too hot during the day.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:56 PM

422 posts, read 396,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Plus it's close to San Francisco (and the rest of the Bay Area) if it gets too hot during the day.
Irrelevant post. No body from Sacramento goes to SF or the Bay during the day if it gets too hot and then comes back in the evening. In most places in the Easy Bay from Hayward down to San Jose, it's as hot if not sometimes hotter than Sacramento. SF being directly on the waterfront has a cooler element but its far from a escape zone from the dreaded Sacramento heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.