Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:11 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,681 times

Advertisements

I have read on some forums in CD where some posters said regarding tourist destinations: "Tourist destinations are great visit but Hell to live in." I'm just curious, what are the advantages and disadvantages of living in tourist destinations? Or, do you think that it's just Hell to live in altogether? Or, is it just indifferent? Is it better to live in tourist destinations than non-tourist destinations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Las Vegas.
Vegas is great for 2 days, then its time to go, no explanation needed.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:54 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,971,727 times
I lived on a nightlife destination street in NYC, and you have no idea how obnoxious drunk people are until they’re yelling/fighting/puking outside your window on a Tuesday night.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:03 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
I think some of the advantages is you have more amenities and its more vibrant than it otherwise might be.

Disadvantages would be the lack of respect some people have because they are just visiting, additional congestion, and AirBNB's disrupting neighborhoods and taking away housing from local residents.

I lived by the beach in San Diego (Pacific Beach) with tons of tourists. I didn't really mind it at all. Lots of tourists in SF too, doesn't really bother me either. I think some of the complaining people do about tourists is dumb and do it to show off some stupid local pride or whatever.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:31 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
I live in Williamsburg, VA and love living in a tourist destination. It helps that the tourist area is somewhat apart from where most people live. So we can still walk/bike to the colonial area but tourits aren't too likely to venture into the neighborhoods.

Advantages:

1. Extremely low property tax, thanks to the taxes and other expenses tourist pay. We only pay $0.60, compared to $1.45 where we used to live.

2. Small town living, but with all the cultural amenities of a larger city. It's not like NYC or anything, but there are events, concerts, lectures, dance, and theater events going on all the time to benefit the tourists. I benefit, too.

3. The same goes for shopping, restaurants, museums. We have a lot more than a town this size would usually have. Our library just won 2nd place in the national competition for best library, competing against libraries in much bigger cities. Why is ours so great? Tourists who come here to do research are part of the reason.

4. Locals get a discount to all the tourist attractions. And some are even free for the locals.

5. Our roads are in good shape. You don't want a bunch of potholes in the winter discouraging visitors, after all. Hospitals here are good, too.

6. As a retiree, if I really need a job I could probably get something at one of the tourist attractions. Not that I would like a job like that, but it's an option if I really needed it.

Disadvantages:

1. Traffic can be bad at times. Although you learn back roads and also what times/days to avoid driving. It's not usually a problem for us

2. Some communities have problems related to rentals to tourists (Air BNB, etc.) Our HOA banned this, so not a problem for us.

3. Tourists don't always respect local customs or leave trash. Not so much an issue with Williamsburg, which tends to attract people who aren't really the trash-throwing type. But nearby Busch Gardens sometimes has a problem. For the most part, though, Williamsburg takes great pride in being a very clean, well groomed area and I think people respond to that.

4. Panhandlers. We get our share. They put up signs asking people not to give money to them, but we do see them from time to time. Not a big problem, but we have more panhandlers than other small towns our size have (I think).

Last edited by Piney Creek; 07-11-2018 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 01:33 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,887 times
Williamsburg, VA is a great place to live and visit!

Maybe for great place to visit, but hell to live - I'm thinking much of Hawaii would fit the bill.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:47 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
I think it depends on the type of town and tourism. Also whether the tourism is seasonal or not.

Towns that are remote and rural and rely mainly on low paying service industry jobs do not sound fun to live in. I just happened to read this last night.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/11/62735...tay-motel-trap

Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,037,727 times
Duluth, MN is somewhat of a summer tourist town and winter college town.

Pros:
1. The diversity of events and outdoors activities throughout the summer basically doesn't allow you to be bored. If you are bored, you aren't trying.
2. Tourism supplies A TON of our revenue due to a high sales tax. Canadians (mostly from Thunder Bay), MSPers, and Chicago-landers spend a lot of money here which helps with #2. Property taxes are lower than they would otherwise be (presumably).
3. The city spends money on these touristy type things, which makes the quality of life so much nicer for the residents.
4. Tourists go away in Winter.

Cons:
1. Our city has the highest sales tax in Minnesota (8.375%). The city even wanted to raise it another 0.5% for roads, but the state legislature tabled the vote near the end of the legislative session.
2. The fun areas are all concentrated in one spot (downtown and Canal Park) and away from the residential areas. Parking is not reduced or free for residents so residents have to double pay for infrastructure they already help pay with property taxes.
3. Chicago-land brings its people and driving habits.
4. Traffic is significantly worse in summer (although, not bad compared to large metro areas).

Old 07-11-2018, 01:50 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,451,625 times
New Orleans. Fun to spend a few days, hell to live in.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
There's also a difference in towns that see tourism and tourist towns. NYC is a perfectly functioning city that also sees large amounts of tourists. Las Vegas on the other hand would look a lot different if it weren't for tourism. Not to mention small towns like Jackson Hole or Destin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.