Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

I'll ask that you limit your response to one, although I'm sure there are many. I'll also ask that you provide a link (or photos).
I'd love to catalog your recommendations, so much thanks in advance! I'll begin:

GEORGIA:

In the SE corner of the state is the beautiful and unspoiled Cumberland Island National Seashore. Accessible only by boat and light plane, there is only one hotel on the island, the Greyfield Inn. Originally a winter retreat for members of the Carnegie family, the inn is now run by descendants of the same family. It retains its turn of the century charm while offering modern conveniences. The food is superb; the recipes are regional and the ingredients mostly homegrown. But the real appeal is in its surroundings: Eighteen miles of secluded beaches coupled with primeval maritime forest and and an amazing variety of wildlife. It's an unforgettable experience.

Greyfield Inn

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/fi...greyfield-inn/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/t...ncounters.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:45 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
This one is definitely on the list for Colorado:

https://www.devilsthumbranch.com/

That being said, my favorite romantic and secluded getaways involve a 5 mile hike in with a backpack to a secluded high alpine lake and sleeping in a tent.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
In Minnesota it is probably somewhere along the North Shore.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:24 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
I like Half moon bay.

In California, there are a lot of secluded getaways, some even more secluded than above. But I love the convenience (1 hour drive, easy AirBnB) from San Francisco.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:15 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I like Half moon bay.

In California, there are a lot of secluded getaways, some even more secluded than above. But I love the convenience (1 hour drive, easy AirBnB) from San Francisco.
Funny, HMB came to mind when I thought of California.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:54 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This one is definitely on the list for Colorado:

https://www.devilsthumbranch.com/

That being said, my favorite romantic and secluded getaways involve a 5 mile hike in with a backpack to a secluded high alpine lake and sleeping in a tent.
Yes. Anywhere you have to walk, hike, climb long enough, far enough, to be away from people.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:29 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
In Indiana it would have to be a secluded spot in the Indiana Dunes overlooking Lake Michigan with a view of the Chicago skyline shimmering over the horizon of the water.

Although very few south of tge Kankakee river are aware of it.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:26 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes. Anywhere you have to walk, hike, climb long enough, far enough, to be away from people.
Oh man, anywhere you need to walk off with a roll of toilet to the bushes isn’t very romantic. I’ve done plenty of hiking in camping, and I can appreciate your point of view.

California is a tough one, such a big state with so many choices. I’d probably go with an easy one for Southern California, Catalina. Having to take a boat, or pulling out all the stops and taking a helicopter there, only adds to the romance at the beginning of the trip. Avalon is a charming little town, and you can have the rest of the island pretty much to yourself if you decide to leave it and go exploring. While not exactly the epicenter of LA’s food scene, there’s a few good restaurants for a romantic dinner. Even walking around Avalon at night it seems like you have the place to yourself. Highly recommend for anyone who hasn’t gone.

I agree with the other posters about Half Moon Bay, great choice for Northern California.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:20 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
In Minnesota it is probably somewhere along the North Shore.
Grand Marais was actually my first thought when I saw this thread. It's basically a little slice of heaven; almost never gets too hot in the summer due to the constant breeze off icy Lake Superior, and also doesn't get as cold as most places elsewhere in Minnesota due to the same lake influence. Of course, the entire North Shore is very scenic..though maybe not secluded, especially in the summer and fall.

Another place that immediately comes to mind is Ely, only a few miles from the Canadian border at the entrance of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Gorgeous little northwoods town surrounded on all four sides by pure boreal wilderness and hundreds of interconnected lakes. I was there last summer with my boyfriend and it was amazing.

Lanesboro is my pick for southern Minnesota.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
My first thought for romantic was Monterey, CA. For secluded, I thought of the giant redwood forests outside of Crescent City, CA.

Crescent City isn't romantic, but it's a quiet place to stay while you spend your days finding secluded places to walk and sit in the redwoods or on the mostly secluded beaches there.

I couldn't think of one spot that was both romantic and secluded, at least not by my definitions. When I think romance, I don't think of mosquitos lol. I think warm, comfy bed and a big window with a view and a bottle of wine and a hot tub. But, that's not usually found in seclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.