Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:49 AM

724 posts, read 503,678 times

Advertisements

So back in the 70s and 80s practically all longhaired ( generally white and male ) youths who listened to rock music , did poorly in school , didn't follow the rules , and had a general " screw the world and party hearty " attitude were labeled as " burnouts " . Metalheads , surfers , stoners , skaters , etc. , were all generally part of the same tribe ( at least in the eyes of mainstream society ) and there was also a good bit of overlap between these subcultures if I'm not mistaken ...

Of course times have changed and there aren't nearly as many youngsters like that around , but I'm curious as to what extent they have faded away . I for one have never seen any young people fitting this description in the area that I currently live in , which is weird to me since I was part of a rather large " burnout " crowd in middle and high school and I'm still under 30 .

So how badly has this loose cultural group faded away in the US ? Are there any areas in the country where you can still find plenty of jean jacket wearing teens who chug cheap beer and get stoned while listening to Iron Maiden and Metallica in the woods ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 07:56 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
So back in the 70s and 80s practically all longhaired ( generally white and male ) youths who listened to rock music , did poorly in school , didn't follow the rules , and had a general " screw the world and party hearty " attitude were labeled as " burnouts " . Metalheads , surfers , stoners , skaters , etc. , were all generally part of the same tribe ( at least in the eyes of mainstream society ) and there was also a good bit of overlap between these subcultures if I'm not mistaken ...

Of course times have changed and there aren't nearly as many youngsters like that around , but I'm curious as to what extent they have faded away . I for one have never seen any young people fitting this description in the area that I currently live in , which is weird to me since I was part of a rather large " burnout " crowd in middle and high school and I'm still under 30 .

So how badly has this loose cultural group faded away in the US ? Are there any areas in the country where you can still find plenty of jean jacket wearing teens who chug cheap beer and get stoned while listening to Iron Maiden and Metallica in the woods ?

I think they'd be like 45 and had to get a job

Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
lol, I've noticed the same and we were just talking about this at a reunion the other day. Some of the stuff we did back then was just plain crazy! I can totally relate to your description, although we all wore green army jackets, but I had a jean jacket too. Great memories, but seems like times have changed!

Old 07-30-2018, 09:17 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
You guys must just not get out of the house much. Go to any lower to middle class blue-collar town or neighborhood in America and you'll see more youth burnouts than people with ambition.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
You guys must just not get out of the house much. Go to any lower to middle class blue-collar town or neighborhood in America and you'll see more youth burnouts than people with ambition.

I'd guess it's the same as it was in the 60's or 70's. There are still young engineers, accountants and teachers.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:25 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
So back in the 70s and 80s practically all longhaired ( generally white and male ) youths who listened to rock music , did poorly in school , didn't follow the rules , and had a general " screw the world and party hearty " attitude ..
You tripped, stumbled, and dropped the ball early on in your intro. I'm very familiar with that time, but can't agree one bit with your assessment and theory.

As I remember well, the 70's and 80's were a great time of happiness and fun. It was very much laid back compared to now; a virtual paradise compared to modern times.

"Burnout" comes to mind as a recent phenomenon, of the 21st century, as people overwork to keep up with bills and expenses, as cost of living outpaces pay. Much of it is due to the race race. Others are trying to keep up with the Jones.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-30-2018 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 09:31 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Lol, this ^^. Just because the look may have changed, doesn’t mean the person has. I see just as many able bodied twenty somethings begging for change on the streets as I do old degenerate drunks.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:34 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Didn't "Burnout" culture peak in the early 90's, back when grunge deathmetal and punk-rock where big? Either way it certainly still exist today, just not as prevalent in major metro areas.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:14 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
Restaurant kitchens are full of these people, the dumb ones flipping burgers at your neighborhood bar, the smart ones in fine dining. Ironically most cooks have to work harder than 95% of the rest of the US workforce.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:

we were more into Tull and Zep, now between acid flashbacks and brief moments of lucidity, I have to decide (eenie, meenie, minie, moe) on which of our global industrial plants to close to boost up our stock price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.