Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 01:05 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Birmingham was hurt by overreliance on the steel industry, and steel industry magnates were all too happy for the city to continue getting negative press for its racial issues because it highly discouraged outsized investment which would have threatened steel's monopoly on the city's economy.
Way to hit the proverbial nail on the head once again, Mutiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:23 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,211,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think most of the cities in the Mississippi river basin have underachieved, this region is America's heartland with a naturally built in transportation network, yet All the major cities seem to be on the periphery of the basin and not actually in it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ver-new-01.png

Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, New Orleans etc.

The only cities in this basin that seem to be doing well are Minneapolis and Denver.
Nashville is one of the most trendy, well publicized cities in the Central time zone and is growing rapidly. I wouldn't say Des Moines, Omaha or Columbus are under-achievers either - they have healthy, well rounded economies and plenty of urban amenities for their respective size brackets. Kansas City and Indianapolis have significant urban decay in some parts but the metro areas as a whole are performing well.

I do think with the exception of the Twin Cities, the metros immediately along the Mississippi and Ohio rivers tend to be on a slow track and have seen a long-term decline in relative importance. But there is plenty of potential for more favored locales in the central parts of the US to shine in the future as the major coastal urban centers get ever more crowded and expensive. They have a lot of assets to build on that are sometimes under-appreciated.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:32 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
I heard they almost put Hollywood in Cincinnati back in the early 1900s but the city passed on the film industry so they went to LA.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:22 PM

233 posts, read 344,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I heard they almost put Hollywood in Cincinnati back in the early 1900s but the city passed on the film industry so they went to LA.
Can anyone corroborate this?

Old 08-06-2018, 04:28 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Birmingham was hurt by overreliance on the steel industry, and steel industry magnates were all too happy for the city to continue getting negative press for its racial issues because it highly discouraged outsized investment which would have threatened steel's monopoly on the city's economy.
I think that one of the things that people keep saying is a lot of these old south cities didn't boom, Birmingham, Memphis, Richmond etc. that hit a wall, much like their Northern counterparts. But they hit a wall because they had an urban core. Meanwhile cities that didn't really exist before WWII like Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Miami, were able to mold themselves into exactly what people wanted at the time because they were a blank slate.

Save for a few cities like Houston and Atlanta that had geographic reasons that they basically needed to be in that exact location.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:36 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Can anyone corroborate this?
I've never heard of such a thing but would love to see a link to such.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Jacksonville florida.... it passed on Disney amongst many other opportunities. Also, due to location it used to be the main vacation spot in florida. I wish I could find the link listing all the things Jax passed up/blew, but basically Jax should be Florida's king but instead is basically nothing but subdivisions and a few skyscrapers. No one goes to Florida to visit jacksonville
Wow! I had no idea about Jacksonville and the possibility of Disney buying up land near there. I just looked that story up and whoa, what an absolute massive mistake that Ed Ball guy made...yikes. Ooof.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:54 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think most of the cities in the Mississippi river basin have underachieved, this region is America's heartland with a naturally built in transportation network, yet All the major cities seem to be on the periphery of the basin and not actually in it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ver-new-01.png

Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, New Orleans etc.

The only cities in this basin that seem to be doing well are Minneapolis and Denver.
This is not true at all. These cities are all doing extremely well--Nashville is booming, Des Moines, Omaha, Indianapolis, Columbus, Kansas City and Cincinnati are all growing and doing very well.

Arguably only Memphis, Little Rock, New Orleans and St Louis out of your list, are performing somewhat slowly, when compared to the other cities on that list. But even these cities are gentrifying and growing steadily well. (St Louis' metro is doing very well--while the city continues to lose people)

Old 08-06-2018, 05:31 PM

58 posts, read 99,494 times
I think that the most underachieving city is Memphis. Memphis is lagging in a progressive state such as Tennessee. It is the only major city in the state that is not showing signs of growth. Memphis's metro has been stagnant so long that Knoxville's metro may surpass it in population soon.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:20 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think that one of the things that people keep saying is a lot of these old south cities didn't boom, Birmingham, Memphis, Richmond etc. that hit a wall, much like their Northern counterparts. But they hit a wall because they had an urban core. Meanwhile cities that didn't really exist before WWII like Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Miami, were able to mold themselves into exactly what people wanted at the time because they were a blank slate.

Save for a few cities like Houston and Atlanta that had geographic reasons that they basically needed to be in that exact location.
This is an interesting angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.