Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:03 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times

Advertisements

https://www.bird.co/

Not every city that has them now is listed.

For example, Louisville has had them for a few months, off and on. Louisville banned them but 2 weeks ago allowed 100 scooters on a "test basis" for 30 days with all kinds of regulations. There have been all kinds of complaints and no one is wearing helmets or using bike lanes, mostly sidewalks.

I was in Cleveland today and they are getting them for the first time now. Raleigh and many more places got them too, but Bird has not updated their location maps....

Are these scooters good for many of the mid sized cities in which they operate which may have hot nodes of urban activity but they may be 3-5 miles apart in some cases?

What are everyone's thoughts? I am not interested in discussing bike share here, as almost every major city has that by now. Let's talk specifically about Bird. A few cities in which Lime operates they now have Lime-S scooters. Feel free to mention your city and those too. Now Uber and Lyft are launching their own companies....

I have been seeing them in Louisville's urban neighborhoods for a couple months. They are restricted to the urban core inside the inner beltway there by emergency ordinance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 10:15 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Go to the San Diego forum, countless posts on them. Search the San Diego Union Tribune as well, plenty of articles written on them too. They’re everywhere here, especially at the beach.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:58 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
San Diego uniquely in the country had a simultaneous dropping of multiple both bike share and scooters companies in February and unlike just about every other major city even though it experienced all the same issues and problems has had a mostly lassez faire attitude towards them. Other than a couple of tiny cities cracking down and banning them things have now mostly settled down on their own, in a positive way.

We live in the core of the city in a hip, streetcar suburb neighborhood adjacent downtown that typifies the kind of area that would be the market for the scooters and it has embraced them. Every morning dozens and dozens of scooters are dropped off all over here as well as other core neighborhoods in addition to downtown where there are hundreds. The bike share bikes are still there as well but there are far fewer. We can look on the apps on our phones and have them ready to roll a three minute walk away from on our front door.

By the middle of the morning there will be mostly young folks starting to cruise all around the city on these scooters as if they have always been there, and yes with hardly anybody wearing a required by law helmet. There may be anecdotal stories of horrific accidents and conflicts going on because of irresponsible scooter riders but honestly things just seem to be going on just fine as a citizen who uses them and also has to deal with the irritating new riders and tourists who toll along the sidewalks.

As a couple of 57 y.o. guys we are not in the typical demographic of the scooter users but we use them frequently and love them. We used to take the bus but we now almost always take the scooters for trips in the city under five miles or so, and have a blast doing it. We love parking our cars for the weekend and never get in them. Walking, biking, scooters, transit or the occasional ride share is the only way we get around our very busy social/cultural schedule.

I think they are potentially transformative in many cities depending on the built environment, topography, weather and demographics of a city. For our city they are quickly becoming another part of the urban transportation matrix. We just had another electric scooter company drop last week here, Razor, so obviously the companies also feel there is something right about this city for these fun as hell, green, non-polluting little electric scooters- ridden by mostly chill folks and more than a few clueless idiots.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
San Diego uniquely in the country had a simultaneous dropping of multiple both bike share and scooters companies in February and unlike just about every other major city even though it experienced all the same issues and problems has had a mostly lassez faire attitude towards them. Other than a couple of tiny cities cracking down and banning them things have now mostly settled down on their own, in a positive way.

We live in the core of the city in a hip, streetcar suburb neighborhood adjacent downtown that typifies the kind of area that would be the market for the scooters and it has embraced them. Every morning dozens and dozens of scooters are dropped off all over here as well as other core neighborhoods in addition to downtown where there are hundreds. The bike share bikes are still there as well but there are far fewer. We can look on the apps on our phones and have them ready to roll a three minute walk away from on our front door.

By the middle of the morning there will be mostly young folks starting to cruise all around the city on these scooters as if they have always been there, and yes with hardly anybody wearing a required by law helmet. There may be anecdotal stories of horrific accidents and conflicts going on because of irresponsible scooter riders but honestly things just seem to be going on just fine as a citizen who uses them and also has to deal with the irritating new riders and tourists who toll along the sidewalks.

As a couple of 57 y.o. guys we are not in the typical demographic of the scooter users but we use them frequently and love them. We used to take the bus but we now almost always take the scooters for trips in the city under five miles or so, and have a blast doing it. We love parking our cars for the weekend and never get in them. Walking, biking, scooters, transit or the occasional ride share is the only way we get around our very busy social/cultural schedule.

I think they are potentially transformative in many cities depending on the built environment, topography, weather and demographics of a city. For our city they are quickly becoming another part of the urban transportation matrix. We just had another electric scooter company drop last week here, Razor, so obviously the companies also feel there is something right about this city for these fun as hell, green, non-polluting little electric scooters- ridden by mostly chill folks and more than a few clueless idiots.
T Damon, I first saw the scooters in San Francisco late last year. I have been following them all over the country in my travels and every city paper is running the same story.

People generally love them in Louisville too, also in the same kind of streetcar suburb you live in.

Are there any major cities that DONT have something like this? Come to think of it, I didn't see any in NYC last year! With the pedestrian and traffic density, maybe it wouldn't work?

And here in Louisville, 100 is not nearly enough. We could probably handle 1000 scooters here but I guess the city wanted to limit them to control their release first.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...od/1051559002/

Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
T Damon, I first saw the scooters in San Francisco late last year. I have been following them all over the country in my travels and every city paper is running the same story.

People generally love them in Louisville too, also in the same kind of streetcar suburb you live in.

Are there any major cities that DONT have something like this? Come to think of it, I didn't see any in NYC last year! With the pedestrian and traffic density, maybe it wouldn't work?

And here in Louisville, 100 is not nearly enough. We could probably handle 1000 scooters here but I guess the city wanted to limit them to control their release first.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...od/1051559002/
They’ve actually been booted out of San Francisco, Denver, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and several other cities, with new, limited presence warily allowed back in a few. I see the issues with bad riders not following the rules but it should be the riders that get the hammer, not the scooter companies. There is a place for these mostly innocuous, useful little transportation devices as part as the overall city scope of things I say.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:00 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Denver has them all over downtown. I think they look very useful. I don't think New Orleans has them, not since 2017 at least.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:38 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Milwaukee had them, but has banned them.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee had them, but has banned them.
Louisville initially banned them but has invited them back on a trial run.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:09 PM

749 posts, read 1,317,055 times
They’re all the rage for workers in and around Downtown Charlotte.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:19 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Bird, lime, and I think a couple others are all over DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.