Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 10:08 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
From the Midwest where people are nice to the Northeast where people are mean.
Or from the Mountain West where people have a chip on their shoulder to the Midwest where people are nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 11:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
From the Northeast where people openly express their feelings to the PNW where everyone is shocked and offended at the slightest expression of a negative sentiment.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:35 AM

631 posts, read 562,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Culture shock. Climate. Politics. Etc.

What’s the hardest adjustment?
For culture shock, I would say from Kiryas Joel (NY) or Bird-in-Hand (PA) to Greenwich Village (NYC).

For climate?... maybe Brownsville (TX) in the summer to Seattle (WA) (or Alaska) in the winter.

For politics, Lubbock (TX) to Berkeley (CA).

Old 09-01-2018, 02:24 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
Agreed with other posters who said that climate differences slap you upside the head immediately while culture shock might take a bit longer.

I would say the biggest shock would be someone moving from the Northeast to the South, a Southerner moving to the West, or someone moving from a small town to a large city or vice versa.

My dad took a job transfer to South Carolina during my senior year in high school from Upstate NY. We moved down there in June, right after the school year had ended. It was in the lower 70's when we took off with the moving truck from our 'burb in Upstate NY and to our shock it was in the upper 90's in South Carolina...and just as humid as Upstate NY was. The culture shocks came shortly afterwards

Old 09-01-2018, 06:06 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
One can be culture shocked when moving within the same state as well...

Old 09-01-2018, 07:07 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
One can be culture shocked when moving within the same state as well...
Absolutely.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:32 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Maybe Northern California or the Pacific Northwest to the southeast. Politics, demographics, culture, food, and weather are all different. Like San Francisco to Charlotte or Nashville.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:11 PM

511 posts, read 399,731 times
From San Francisco to Jackson, MS

From Alaska to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas.

From Hawaii to Lincoln, NE

From Seattle to South Florida.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:59 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
It isn't just about location though. The individual has a lot to do with it.

As I grew up in rural NY, I had no problem fitting in with rural Louisiana. I was already a country feller. The only major hitch being the people who assumed I was all urban and Ivy League just because I was from NY... so I just started telling people I was from the Appalachians and let them do the guess work.

I had a very hard time fitting into Baton Rouge, however. I just could not live the city life, and living in BR was a miserable, crime-filled experience. Plus I had become the racial minority and let me tell you, blacks CAN be racist.

My point being, somebody who is already of the rural or small town mindset will not find it hard to settle into a similar place half the nation away. With a few exceptions. In New England states things are run so differently that it's nearly like another country altogether, so that could throw anybody off (even just going from upstate NY to NE it feels so different).

That said, I think it would be harder for the urban set. Cities have such different flavors by region and population density.

Climate is the biggest shocker, along with its flora and fauna.

Next would be politics. If you are somebody who is an ideologue, you will not like anything outside of your hugbox, be it right or left. I am a moderate, so I can fit nearly anywhere with a degree of welcome.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:45 PM

511 posts, read 399,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It isn't just about location though. The individual has a lot to do with it.

As I grew up in rural NY, I had no problem fitting in with rural Louisiana. I was already a country feller. The only major hitch being the people who assumed I was all urban and Ivy League just because I was from NY... so I just started telling people I was from the Appalachians and let them do the guess work.

I had a very hard time fitting into Baton Rouge, however. I just could not live the city life, and living in BR was a miserable, crime-filled experience. Plus I had become the racial minority and let me tell you, blacks CAN be racist.

My point being, somebody who is already of the rural or small town mindset will not find it hard to settle into a similar place half the nation away. With a few exceptions. In New England states things are run so differently that it's nearly like another country altogether, so that could throw anybody off (even just going from upstate NY to NE it feels so different).

That said, I think it would be harder for the urban set. Cities have such different flavors by region and population density.

Climate is the biggest shocker, along with its flora and fauna.

Next would be politics. If you are somebody who is an ideologue, you will not like anything outside of your hugbox, be it right or left. I am a moderate, so I can fit nearly anywhere with a degree of welcome.
Yes, racial tension is very palpable all across the Deep South. Some random guys would approach me and call me in a racial slur back in AL. You'd probably do better in Texas in terms of politics and racial relationship, but the flora and fauna and climate will be pretty much more identical than where you originally came from. With a possible exception of Houston and Atlanta, anywhere in the lower South will be a huge culture shock for anyone from outside the region. I grew up in Alabama, but humidity is something I still have hard time adjusting to. I still prefer the South any day, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.