Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:54 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
the city of Boston has an institutionally racist mindset to majority/historically black areas like in Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury and Hyde Park. There is a declining share of Black Americans in those areas. Right now we see Black Americans heading to suburbs south of Boston, to places like Brockton, Randolph, Stoughton and Holbrook.

Brockton went from 12% to 40% Black/African in the past 27 years (1990-2017). Theres about 100k residents there.
Randolph went from 7% to 40% Black/African in the past 27 years (1990-2017).
Stoughton went from 3% to 15% Black/African in the past 27 years. (1990-2017)
Holbrook went from 2% to 10% Black/African in the past 27 years. (1990-2017)

These four towns (Among others) are becoming a safe haven, an area for representation and a cultural assimilation point for Greater Boston. I am excited for this area to grow in AA/Black Americans the same way the Malden/Quincy/Metro West is rapidly increasing in Asian American population/concentrations. I think in about 20 years, Brockton will serve as a city with strong AA routes, that self thrives and works on highlighting the Greater Boston diversity.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2019/05/08...port-takeaways
https://www.bostonindicators.org/rep...plore-the-data Amazing diversification of Metro Boston linked here.
Malden and Quincy also have notable black populations. especially Malden, can't forget Everett and Lynn. But Yea the south shore-i mean go to South Shore Plaza and it's very black- Avon Dedham Holbrook Stoughton Milton Brockton Randolph Bridgewater and down to New Bedford Taunton and Fall River. You see lots of black folks shopping in places in the region even if hey don't live in the towns themselves..Braintree Foxboro Wrentham Dedham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I wonder if Mississippi will ever become majority black? The last time I was in West Africa was also the last year I visited Mississippi. You might not believe it, but Mississippi reminded me of being in Africa in many ways, its rural population, some dirt roads, easy going slow pace.

I don’t really trust the accuracy of the estimates they do....more so the trends. Let’s see what the next census shows.
I wouldn't count on it in the near future. Mississippi is not a place many people want to move to. In fact, many young Black people are leaving Mississippi. What's keeping Mississippi's Black population stable are retirees moving there.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:02 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Malden and Quincy also have notable black populations. especially Malden, can't forget Everett and Lynn. But Yea the south shore-i mean go to South Shore Plaza and it's very black- Avon Dedham Holbrook Stoughton Milton Brockton Randolph Bridgewater and down to New Bedford Taunton and Fall River. You see lots of black folks shopping in places in the region even if hey don't live in the towns themselves..Braintree Foxboro Wrentham Dedham
Yeah the SSP definetly adheres to AA/CB communities. Lots of people from Hyde Park, Mattapan, Dot and around come to shop here. Its nice to see though. In about 20 years when Randolph and Brockton are both about 60% Black I think the Greater Boston area will start gaining a new reputation besides racist.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah the SSP definetly adheres to AA/CB communities. Lots of people from Hyde Park, Mattapan, Dot and around come to shop here. Its nice to see though. In about 20 years when Randolph and Brockton are both about 60% Black I think the Greater Boston area will start gaining a new reputation besides racist.
Personally, I'm more interested in the demographic change in the smaller towns, Stoughton, Holbrook, Bridgewater, Avon, Milton, Quincy. If you get a real collection of towns that are 10-25% black it can really shape politics and public policy in the MetroSouth region. I think that region already has developed differently than MetroWest or North so I look forward to the future.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:50 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wouldn't count on it in the near future. Mississippi is not a place many people want to move to. In fact, many young Black people are leaving Mississippi. What's keeping Mississippi's Black population stable are retirees moving there.
Actually the growth is still progressing albeit slow and yes there are a few young blacks that remain here to support their locale. Literally is heading towards being half Black.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:20 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Well....you could get to that point either via black population growth exceeding white population growth or via black population loss being less than white population (as percentages). If fewer whites are moving to Mississippi and more whites are moving from Mississippi, then it can happen. I wonder what the median age is for blacks in that state vs whites.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:57 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Well....you could get to that point either via black population growth exceeding white population growth or via black population loss being less than white population (as percentages). If fewer whites are moving to Mississippi and more whites are moving from Mississippi, then it can happen. I wonder what the median age is for blacks in that state vs whites.
Black growth have been higher than white. From 2000 to 2010 census, Black growth was 6.25% to white growth of .40%. Generally , Median age of Blacks are younger than Whites nationally so it's the same for MS.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
The divestment has already started in some places like Atlanta though the gentrification of the city may reverse that. I think that's one reason a place like Nashville seems to be so much popular in the business world right now. It's not viewed as being as black as Atlanta. Eventually Georgia, then Texas will flip due to the black migrations and Florida may turn blue permanently. But yeah the loss of black populations in swing states like Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Pennsylvania is a major region Trump won the election. Michigan and Wisconsin really aren't even swing states but there's no way he could have won those states if their black population hadnt been declining so much. I still don't fl that's a legitimate reason for us not to move to the area where we feel is best for us. The political process is ultimately going to screw us over anyway no matter who wins.

Why do you believe Georgia will turn blue before Texas when the latter is already a majority-minority state? Most of the big cities in Texas are already blue/purple. The state legislature, though GOP-controlled lost seats last year to the Democrats and many conservatives didn't like the GOP Speaker of the House because he was found not to be conservative enough for them getting some bills held up in committee. Georgia is definitely more conservative. Look at recent legislation and boycott threats there.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Why do you believe Georgia will turn blue before Texas when the latter is already a majority-minority state? Most of the big cities in Texas are already blue/purple. The state legislature, though GOP-controlled lost seats last year to the Democrats and many conservatives didn't like the GOP Speaker of the House because he was found not to be conservative enough for them getting some bills held up in committee. Georgia is definitely more conservative. Look at recent legislation and boycott threats there.
Georgia is commonly considered to be more likely to flip quickly because the black population is rising, and black people already vote in high numbers. In contrast in Texas, besides general Latino demographic growth, you'd also have to see an "awakening" among the Latino electorate (e.g., if Texas Latinos already turned out like California Latinos, it would already be a swing state).

Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
The thing about Texas large cities is that while they do have a significant and growing black populations, the cities don't have a "black city" feel. Texas cities have a "minority feel", with the Latino population likely being larger than the black population. The same is true for California large cities. These cities/metros feel "Hispanic", while cities/Metros like Atlanta, Memphis, Detroit.....feel much blacker, even if they have less blacks than Dallas or LA.

In Texas (and the southwest in general) Hispanics are the dominant minority group. In the Southeast, African Americans are the dominant minority group. This is why, to me, Texas does not feel as culturally black as Georgia or Mississippi, regardless of the growth of its black population because blacks in Texas play third string behind whites and Hispanics, overall.
The latino population is twice as large in Texas but AA aren't playing third string if you look at:
1. state legislature representation. The majority of minority election victories last year were AA;
2. Mayors of Dallas and Houston are AA as is that for Plano, a very large suburb with a number of Fortune 500/Global corporations there with large campuses; What prominent cities in Georgia, NC, Tennessee, Florida have AA mayors that are cities not-majority black?
3. Chief of Police in Dallas, FW are AA and neither are majority AA;
4. HCBUs in D/FW and Houston.
5. College education and pay are comparable to Latino residents;
6. States to the east of Texas have higher AA populations %-wise I see more of a struggle than one would expect for equity. This includes Georgia where you can't even get Confederate monuments removed, the abortion bill passed and the state is trying to take Hartsfield from Atlanta.
7. Feeling black ..how much has that helped in this century places like Memphis? Its second tier now to Nashville. Detroit? Smh, a city that once had 1.7 million residents now has 700,000! Didn't help them. Chicago? Still a great town but most of its population loss the last 15 years is due to black folks leaving. I have a cousin who left due to the environment there.

Funny that a Texas state holiday, Juneteenth, is now celebrated, at least unofficially, by AAs across America...and remember what President championed Civil Rights legislation and appointed the first AA to the Supreme Court...a native of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.