Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 09:32 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
But is that not also true for Hispanics in those metro areas?
Not really an argument, since there are areas of DFW that feel overwhelmingly Black and areas that feel overwhelmingly Hispanic, just wanted to list. Only two suburbs, Cockrell Hill and Mobile City, in DFW have a Hispanic majority and they have a combined population below five thousand. Despite there being a smaller regional population, African/Black Americans make up the majority of five suburbs, Cedar Hills, DeSoto, Forest Hill, Lancaster, and Neylandville, with a combined population over one hundred fifty-four thousand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 09:39 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Not really an argument, since there are areas of DFW that feel overwhelmingly Black and areas that feel overwhelmingly Hispanic, just wanted to list. Only two suburbs, Cockrell Hill and Mobile City, in DFW have a Hispanic majority and they have a combined population below five thousand. Despite there being a smaller regional population, African/Black Americans make up the majority of five suburbs, Cedar Hills, DeSoto, Forest Hill, Lancaster, and Neylandville, with a combined population over one hundred fifty-four thousand.
You are referring to this part of the DFW area(minus Neylandville & Forest Hill): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Southwest (the demographic information needs to be updated, as that is a predominantly black area)

Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
But how dominant the Hispanic culture feels depends on where you are in Texas (just like the U.S.). It does not feel dominant in Beaumont, Texarkana, Desoto, Missouri City, etc.

It's common knowledge that both Houston and Dallas have more Hispanics, but these are still urban areas with more than 1 million blacks in each. I think it's flawed logic to only look at percentages and ignore raw numbers.
I don't agree, overall as a whole the Hispanic culture still feels more dominant and I don't know why you think percentages don't matter. If Dallas and Houston both have 1 million black people but also have 2 million Hispanics a piece, how is the Hispanic culture there not more dominant? Sure you can also pick a few enclaves here and there where a certain culture doesn't feel as dominant but as I'm saying as a whole in general, the Hispanic culture in Texas feels more dominant than the black culture compared to other areas of the country where blacks are concentrated. Doesn't mean there's not also a prominent black culture there, but that's how it feels there to me.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:45 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post

You can generally go to any metro area and find a concentration of black people and if you just hang out there....it seems like a black area. However, I would dare say that the Hispanic influence in the entirety of the metro area is greater than the black influence. The Hispanic influence on the principle city of the metro area is probably greater than the black influence. The way your describe Dallas, blacks seem like they have their areas "off to the side" and away from the places that get seen when a visitor comes to town. That is not unique to Dallas, however, as that is generally how blacks get treated and seen in America.

The thing about Atlanta, though, is that it DID have that. Blacks dominated Atlanta in the places a visitor would see when they came to Atlanta. They were not "off to the side". They were running things. They still do today, but to a lesser degree. A person still kind of get that feel in Atlanta and other cities, but not places like Dallas. Yes, Dallas has black people but those blacks are not really running things.....you don't get that feel.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:46 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
We are kind of seeing an end of an era......akin to the end of areas like Harlem and Watts and what they represented for black people culturally. It was the intense segregation and racism of the era that gave birth to places like Harlem and Watts. Those places are no longer as black as they once were and are likely getting increasingly less black as time goes on.

The era of black dominated major cities is going the same route of the Harlem's and Watt's. The era peaked with major black cities like Washington, DC, Atlanta, Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Memphis, etc. These places represented the apex of black politics as the local level, to run the principle cities in a major metropolitan area. In about 20 years, only one or two of these cities will still be majority black, if gentrification trends continue.

Those cities came about as the corollary of racism and white flight. New cities that are booming in the era of improved racial relationships are not creating those culturally strong black areas like they used to....as there really is no pressure to create such places anymore. There will never be a new Harlem, Watts, DC, Atlanta, Detroit, etc and what they represented for black people and culture. Those realities were born from intense racial oppression.

The new places sprouting up now, like Dallas, for example, just don't have a city with that type of historical legacy or cultural feel. The thing about places like Atlanta and DC, however, is that they have transitioned into being culturally strong metropolitan areas for blacks, if not black dominated major cities any longer. I don't that such can happen in Dallas or Houston because the Hispanic influence and growth is too strong.
Yeah, see we open a messy can of worms when we start talking about "feels".

The fact that Texas saw less action during the Civil Rights era seems more to do with its isolated location than anything else. Houston and Dallas were young, only recently booming cities far removed from the major media markets on the coasts, but blacks were the largest minority group in both cities all the way up until the 1980s and the history goes all the way back to slavery.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:56 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Yeah, see we open a messy can of worms when we start talking about "feels".

The fact that Texas saw less action during the Civil Rights era seems more to do with its isolated location than anything else. Houston and Dallas were young, only recently booming cities far removed from the major media markets on the coasts, but blacks were the largest minority group in both cities all the way up until the 1980s and the history goes all the way back to slavery.

What I am essentially saying that we are in a new era. This era and things booming and growing in this era will not produce the type of black cultural strong holds as what existed in previous eras. Dallas is a new era city and does not carry over much of the legacy of the previous era for blacks.....because its so new and has a large influence by other minority groups. Atlanta is also booming but it does have the historical era of being a strong cultural strong hold for black people.

Yes, you are right, Dallas was isolated from it. Whatever the reason it did not happen in Dallas....it did not happen, but it did happen in other places. Like I said....I just don't see things moving in the direction in Dallas to ever create what existed in the past and currently exists to a lesser degree in other areas of the country.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
You can generally go to any metro area and find a concentration of black people and if you just hang out there....it seems like a black area. However, I would dare say that the Hispanic influence in the entirety of the metro area is greater than the black influence. The Hispanic influence on the principle city of the metro area is probably greater than the black influence. The way your describe Dallas, blacks seem like they have their areas "off to the side" and away from the places that get seen when a visitor comes to town. That is not unique to Dallas, however, as that is generally how blacks get treated and seen in America.

The thing about Atlanta, though, is that it DID have that. Blacks dominated Atlanta in the places a visitor would see when they came to Atlanta. They were not "off to the side". They were running things. They still do today, but to a lesser degree. A person still kind of get that feel in Atlanta and other cities, but not places like Dallas. Yes, Dallas has black people but those blacks are not really running things.....you don't get that feel.
Define "running things". Is it having a black mayor? Because Houston and Dallas have had that. Or are you simply talking about the fact that in Atlanta you'll see far more black service workers than you would in most of Texas? If I'm being honest, that was the most outstanding difference I noticed between these places. In Atlanta there was always a black cashier behind the counter. None of my bosses were black, however.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:06 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:

The areas are generally off to the side because they tend to be suburbs, not ethnic or racial ghettos, and there is a difference. The two Hispanic majority suburbs, Mobile City and Cockrell Hill, are poorer and more likely to be unemployed, with its residents having lower education attainment than the city of Dallas. Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, and Neylandville, on the other hand, are more affluent than the core city and it isn't fair to claim they are just cities off to the side for hiding the African American population. The claim is no more valid than claiming Plano, Richardson, and Carrollton (not majority Asian but disproportionately so) are ways Dallas likes to put its Asian American population off to the side where visitors won't see them.

Forest Hill isn't on the same level as the other four but are more aligned with Dallas in these statistics, better off for the average resident there than those in Mobile City or Cockrell Hill.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:07 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Its hard to say what city is more attractive, based upon where people are moving. It's not like everyone gets to spend two weeks or more in the top 25 metro areas to test the area as a place to relocate. I would think many people who moved to Dallas have never even been to Charlotte and many people who moved to Charlotte have never even been to Dallas. Thus, its not like people are actually choosing one city over another after having been to all 25 and deciding on the one that they like the best. That is now how people choose where to relocate.

I think often times its just about word of mouth or knowing someone who has moved to a place and says good things about it. Some cities get to be seen as a consequence being located on a major east/west or north/south corridor and hence its location allows it to be seen by many people passing through from one place to another. I image that many people driving from southern California to the deep south may pass through Texas and therefore places like Dallas might get a lot of blacks who leave California because its probable the nearest southern state with opportunity.

I don't think that when people choose a city that they are choosing it over all other cities, as being a better choice. I think they are just choosing it over the place that the left. Thus, its hard to say, simply by where people are moving, whether or not blacks find that place more attractive than another place blacks are moving.
This is true, but in the context of Dallas and Charlotte, we're talking about two Sunbelt cities that aren't all that different in terms of offerings and economic opportunity, controlled for size. It would be a different type of comparison if the cities were fundamentally dissimilar from each other. I think size is probably the biggest differentiator when it comes to these two cities.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:35 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Define "running things". Is it having a black mayor? Because Houston and Dallas have had that. Or are you simply talking about the fact that in Atlanta you'll see far more black service workers than you would in most of Texas? If I'm being honest, that was the most outstanding difference I noticed between these places. In Atlanta there was always a black cashier behind the counter. None of my bosses were black, however.
When I lived in metro Atlanta, I had four or five bosses and three were Black.

You see more Black people on all socioeconomic levels in Atlanta. Politically, it's not just about having *a* Black mayor; Atlanta has had a successive string of Black mayors for nearly half a century now. Then you have all the Black police chiefs, fire chiefs, judges, county executives, college/university presidents, entrepreneurs, etc. Now obviously you still have White political figures and executives controlling most of the money and resources, but were speaking in relative terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.