Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:27 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
7. Feeling black ..how much has that helped in this century places like Memphis? Its second tier now to Nashville. Detroit? Smh, a city that once had 1.7 million residents now has 700,000! Didn't help them. Chicago? Still a great town but most of its population loss the last 15 years is due to black folks leaving. I have a cousin who left due to the environment there.

Funny that a Texas state holiday, Juneteenth, is now celebrated, at least unofficially, by AAs across America...and remember what President championed Civil Rights legislation and appointed the first AA to the Supreme Court...a native of Texas.
What's your point? You make it seem like you believe that an area having a lot of black people is a huge negative. If you are one of these boot-licking black people that think they are better because they have less ties with black people then I really feel sorry for you. The decline of Detroit is due to a number of reasons. That has nothing to do with what was stated about Georgia possibly turning before Texas. That was stated simply because the thought process is black people tend to vote more liberal thus the higher black population might lead to Georgia turning before Texas. This idea comes from politic experts who study voting trends and demographics. It will be close and can go either way though so I'm not sure even sure why you're making a big deal about this except that you're completely obsessed with anything Texas and feel like it has to be first and best at everything.

Juneteenth is nice, but Texas simply doesn't have the black history significance of other areas in the country and that's fine is still has had many significant historical events for black people in history. But to pretend is does is completely generous be we all know you exaggerate everything when it comes to Texas on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
The same is true for Texas. Blacks are overwhelmingly concentrated in the eastern third of the state. Houston's black population is more dispersed, but DFW has entire suburbs that are predominantly black.
One thing to keep in mind when comparing Houston to Dallas is the former is a city that is much larger in miles (669) that Dallas (385), a difference of 284 square miles. That difference is bigger than Chicago (234 sq. miles) and far larger than Atlanta and D.C. proper combined. Houston city is 150 miles larger even than Los Angeles. So where Dallas may have a few suburbs that are majority AA, if you overlay those areas to Houston, they would actually be inside that city's boundaries. Just some perspective for those, not saying you in particular, who sometimes don't think in terms of city limits.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
We are kind of seeing an end of an era......akin to the end of areas like Harlem and Watts and what they represented for black people culturally. It was the intense segregation and racism of the era that gave birth to places like Harlem and Watts. Those places are no longer as black as they once were and are likely getting increasingly less black as time goes on.

The era of black dominated major cities is going the same route of the Harlem's and Watt's. The era peaked with major black cities like Washington, DC, Atlanta, Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Memphis, etc. These places represented the apex of black politics as the local level, to run the principle cities in a major metropolitan area. In about 20 years, only one or two of these cities will still be majority black, if gentrification trends continue.

Those cities came about as the corollary of racism and white flight. New cities that are booming in the era of improved racial relationships are not creating those culturally strong black areas like they used to....as there really is no pressure to create such places anymore. There will never be a new Harlem, Watts, DC, Atlanta, Detroit, etc and what they represented for black people and culture. Those realities were born from intense racial oppression.

The new places sprouting up now, like Dallas, for example, just don't have a city with that type of historical legacy or cultural feel. The thing about places like Atlanta and DC, however, is that they have transitioned into being culturally strong metropolitan areas for blacks, if not black dominated major cities any longer. I don't that such can happen in Dallas or Houston because the Hispanic influence and growth is too strong.

Ironically, Atlanta's first black mayor, Maynard Jackson, was born in Dallas where his father was a minister who relocated to Atlanta.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I don't agree, overall as a whole the Hispanic culture still feels more dominant and I don't know why you think percentages don't matter. If Dallas and Houston both have 1 million black people but also have 2 million Hispanics a piece, how is the Hispanic culture there not more dominant? Sure you can also pick a few enclaves here and there where a certain culture doesn't feel as dominant but as I'm saying as a whole in general, the Hispanic culture in Texas feels more dominant than the black culture compared to other areas of the country where blacks are concentrated. Doesn't mean there's not also a prominent black culture there, but that's how it feels there to me.

Define dominance?
Look at the local political leaders. It pretty obvious which is more prominent. AA

Businesses? I would say Latino is more prevalent as owners, especially, when you consider the dining industry.

Cultural centers? There's a Latino Cultural center but also an AA Museum at Fair Park. Influence of city hall...removal of Confederate legacy symbols benefits both but its the AA community who has been more vocal.

Based on cultural events, festivals, sports? I can't say any is more prominent than the other.

Education? Both are improving their graduation rates.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Detroit is closer to 670k than even 700k nowadays. I’ve never heard anyone black say “I’m moving to Detroit” in my short lifetime.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM

38 posts, read 28,243 times
I'm just curious, why would someone be concerned about the demographic growth of a particular race? I would deem this potentially racist.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:59 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDScoop View Post
I'm just curious, why would someone be concerned about the demographic growth of a particular race? I would deem this potentially racist.
Everything racial isn't racist. Get a grip.

Certain groups tend to be attracted to certain cities for particular reasons. Don't know why you're bothered by that, but it's a fact.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
You can generally go to any metro area and find a concentration of black people and if you just hang out there....it seems like a black area. However, I would dare say that the Hispanic influence in the entirety of the metro area is greater than the black influence. The Hispanic influence on the principle city of the metro area is probably greater than the black influence. The way your describe Dallas, blacks seem like they have their areas "off to the side" and away from the places that get seen when a visitor comes to town. That is not unique to Dallas, however, as that is generally how blacks get treated and seen in America.

The thing about Atlanta, though, is that it DID have that. Blacks dominated Atlanta in the places a visitor would see when they came to Atlanta. They were not "off to the side". They were running things. They still do today, but to a lesser degree. A person still kind of get that feel in Atlanta and other cities, but not places like Dallas. Yes, Dallas has black people but those blacks are not really running things.....you don't get that feel.
What big corporations in metro Atlanta are AA run? Do you realize Atlanta and Dekalb County combined are only 20 square miles larger than Dallas City itself! The newly elected mayor of Dallas is AA. Dekalb and Fulton County are 805 square miles combined. Dallas county is 909 square miles.
Dallas city mayor - AA
Dallas County Commissioner - AA
Dallas County DA - Aa
Dallas city Police Chief AA

And those Dallas suburbs - Lancaster, DeSoto, Cedar Hill that are majority AA, have similar political influence and control. So if anything, there is more influence over a similar area as the two core counties of metro Atlanta. Now the big difference is that Atlanta has its HBCU complex that DFW just does not have. Houston has a little more with TSU and Prairie View.

The median family income for Atlanta and D/FW is comparable, so one must ask if there is greater influence in the former, why isn't that reflected in earnings? Influence should enable a higher return.
One thing I noticed about Atlanta, and not the only one, was the dislike several large suburbs, and even north Fulton county, had for the city itself. While there is competition in DFW amongst/between the big city here and suburbs, there is definitely less rancor. Maybe in Georgia, that arises from Atlanta also being the state capital and having politicians who don't see the city through the same prism as many others?

Old 06-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Detroit is rapidly changing too.....do a refresh. AA are moving to the suburbs while whites are pouring into the central city neighborhoods....and billions in development is attracting more and more whites into the city. In 20 years Detroit will barely be majority black. But it will be ringed by majority to tall black inner ring suburbs.
Billions in development is fool's gold...

As of 2016, Detroit's estimated population is just over 677,000, a steep decline from a peak of over 1.8 million in the 1950s.
Detroit's population in 2000 was 951,270,
Which dropped to only 713,777 by 2010.
In 2016, the city's estimated population was 677,116.

Detroit's population has been declining for more than 60 years, and its 2016 estimated population of 677,116 represents a 0.94% decrease from its 2010 population

Old 06-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I just mention those, because a lot of people may not know about them.

Also, NY is interesting in that while people think of it in one respect, many don’t know that it had slavery until 1827. On the other hand, there are people that think that Harlem was the first neighborhood in NYC with a black concentration, but places like Weeksville in Brooklyn, Seneca Village in Manhattan(now Central Park) and the Sandy Ground community in the Rossville neighborhood in Staten Island are a few that go back even further. So, my point is to bring out aspects about the state that many people don’t know about or to give another side. That’s all.

Good talk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.