Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
gladhands,

You are thinking like a simple Northeast Metro.

Atlanta is multi-polar city. Like, Los Angeles and several others.

The question of Newnan's and Sharpsburg's distance to "core Downtown Atlanta" is a non-starter unless one can only, and obtusely, think of cities in one kind of way.
Atlanta is not multi-polar like LA. It does not have a Long Beach, Santa Monica, Pasadena...you get the point. If you insist on calling some small town, forty miles away from a Atlanta a suburb, I can’t stop you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 11:08 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Atlanta is not multi-polar like LA...
Are you serious?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:38 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Since you mentioned it in your original post, you can get a nice house within the city limits of San Diego, but with a very family friendly suburban feel, or in some of its suburbs, both with good schools (8-10 rankings) for under $750K. Live in a city with great weather year round and drive 2 hours to see snow anytime you want during the winter.

There’s no shortage of activities for your kids while they grow up, and crime in these areas is pretty much nonexistent. When they’re older California’s UC and CSU system of schools is tops in the nation, and relatively affordable for in-state residents.

With your budget I wouldn’t settle on a low cost of living state with lousy weather. Your kids will thank you when they’re older for raising them in Southern California.

I moved here when I was 6 from Seattle and there’s no better place to be a kid. Being able to be outside practically everyday of the year, in comfort, riding your bike, playing sports, surfing, or just hiking around the hills/mountains in your neighborhood is something really special growing up, still is as an adult. I spent many winter/summer breaks growing up, as well as my college years in the Midwest, and it can’t compete. You sound like a good father, and I’m sure you’ll do just fine wherever you and your kids go. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:58 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
gladhands,

You are thinking like a simple Northeast Metro.

Atlanta is multi-polar city. Like, Los Angeles and several others.

The question of Newnan's and Sharpsburg's distance to "core Downtown Atlanta" is a non-starter unless one can only, and obtusely, think of cities in one kind of way.
^^^Very well put.

I've had this same rodeo before with another New Yorker, so their response hardly surprises me.

Last edited by citidata18; 09-24-2018 at 06:07 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
He/she needs to drop that criteria.
HA!

Everyone has their own preferences for their own reasons.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
But, hey, you can get a much bigger house in B*mf•ck, GA.
And there it is...

Tell us how you *REALLY* feel.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
gladhands,

Newnan and Sharpburg are suburbs of Atlanta. This is not hard.

Also, the home above is zoned for good schools. Again, not hard.
Apparently, it *IS* hard for some (although it shouldn't be).

Old 09-24-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Atlanta is not multi-polar like LA.
Nothing about LA is multipolar. See the definition below:

"this structure of urban region do not have one dominant central city but several interacting main cores. All urban nuclei are of similar size."

A multipolar city would be Minneapolis or Dallas. Even San Francisco is arguably multipolar.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:55 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Nothing about LA is multipolar. See the definition below:

"this structure of urban region do not have one dominant central city but several interacting main cores. All urban nuclei are of similar size."

A multipolar city would be Minneapolis or Dallas. Even San Francisco is arguably multipolar.
LA isn’t the metroplex, but I think you’re giving Long Beach short thrift. Nearly a half million people and one of the most important logistics hubs in the country. No Siri in the Atlanta MSA comes close to that level of importance. While we’re at it, you might want to check out some of the companies headquartered in Burbank.

That said, I don’t want to get into a discussion comparing and contrasting Los Angeles with Atlanta. My point remains: if you were willing to spend 750,000 on a house and two hours behind the wheel each day, you can find live well in any metro. And yes, it is all a matter of personal preference. You referenced bang for your buck, but that’s not as simple as dollar per square foot. For many, driving two hours each day is the opposite of value.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
No Siri in the Atlanta MSA comes close to that level of importance.
I never said Atlanta was multipolar (IMO, it's not). But neither is LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.