Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:23 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Not everyone is in love with “the California way of life”. Liberalism gone amok, over-consumption, that’s the way we did it in California, tear down perfectly decent homes to build an architectural nightmare to block your neighbors’ views, why don’t you have xyz store, etc. We just returned from a long camping trip to rural Nevada. We spoke with quite a few disgruntled locals who do not like the changes that former Californians brought to their towns.
I clearly said not everyone wants it, but when it comes you're pretty much powerless to stop it. No single state in the country is as capable as California to change many areas due to population statics alone. Most of the states with highest growth are single handedly due to CA transplants. I can't think of one city west if the MIssissippi that's growing rapidly that isn't so due to in part because of CA transplants.

When it comes to being aware of human overconsumption I think no state is as aware as California. Most SF homes in CA are smaller, with less land, and less water consumption, most cities aren't over ran by mcmansions on half acre lots slowly eating up prairieland. Part of this is due to price as well it took me moving over here to realize that larger isn't always better especially if a small home is $1 million. lol

Last edited by sean1the1; 10-28-2018 at 02:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 08:45 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
Go to a Rust Belt state. There are parts of the Rust Belt that are actually losing population. Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania has less than half the population it had in 1940.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:54 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
All it takes is dumb high ratings and publicity on Forbes, other other "best of" lists. People accept them as "gospel", and begin making their relocation plans.

I've learned from this, and will never go with one of the "top rated" cities/towns again. I'll only go with those off the radar...

Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
Greed is a difficult thing.
It isn't he Californians that create the problem so much as those seeing the opportunity to make something out of the deal.

rent goes up because the locals are doing it . a new comer is not choosing higher rent .
locals are exploiting the opportunity .
Now I can see a problem when some one moves in with big money and puts in an expensive home and the taxes are jacked up on every one else because e of it ,this is a governmental issue though, the fault of the greed is clearly in the local government.
Parents move their kids to other places hopefully to find a better environment to raise them in , unfortunately there are the same troubled kids they are avoiding, are all over the world .

I hope that some day I might be able to move some where new ,but being Californian I dare not say where I'm from, even though I am a conservative .

Old 10-29-2018, 10:29 AM

513 posts, read 499,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I wouldn't say a population boom, just a constant growth of population just a restructuring of where people have lived. The west is still the newest frontier, and has always been sparsely populated so people from the East, and midwest that made their way in droves throughout the 20th century to California now have had kids who are making their way to other places in the west. JUst populating places that historically have not had that many people.

People love to complain for one as there are many many many places that don't have that many people so they have tons of options looks at Alaska twice the size of Texas with less than one million people there's plenty of places to move.

California is the largest state by far so of course it would have the largest amount of people moving to other states, and many from CA are less afraid to move to remote places in the west as they are very similar to how California was just a few decades ago. It's nice to see Californians moving to spread our way of life to these others states it's only a matter a time before the entire west is New California, and there's nothing the natives can do about it. LMAO they don't have the numbers to put up a fight.
Hmm - if California is so great, why do people want to leave.

Signed, a liberal who does not like the California way of life.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:44 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Some states go overboard thinking they're so great, and give off an air of superiority. Then, the very residents choke, gasp, and whine when people buy into the PR and relocate to their state.

Either back off of the state-promotion, or accept the people that come in.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:56 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Some states go overboard thinking they're so great, and give off an air of superiority. Then, the very residents choke, gasp, and whine when people buy into the PR and relocate to their state.

Either back off of the state-promotion, or accept the people that come in.
Maybe Nebraska has it figured out?

Nebraska: It’s not for everyone, state declares in new ad campaign

Old 10-29-2018, 11:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Go to a Rust Belt state. There are parts of the Rust Belt that are actually losing population. Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania has less than half the population it had in 1940.
Rust Belt? I hate that term because we all know what most people mean when they use that term.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
All it takes is dumb high ratings and publicity on Forbes, other other "best of" lists. People accept them as "gospel", and begin making their relocation plans.

I've learned from this, and will never go with one of the "top rated" cities/towns again. I'll only go with those off the radar...
What was your experiences in the "top rated cities/towns"? And which cities that you like that are off the radar?

Old 10-29-2018, 11:27 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
I find a subtle irony in when people brag of their area, only to have that area welcome scores of transplants and change everything.

I've heard this of many places too, especially the west coast. The Pacific Northwest's beauty is no longer a secret (was it ever?), and people are looking to it in their escape of California.

There is a large influx of Chinese into Canada, but most of their real estate purchases on the US West Coast (among other popular real estate markets) are really just an offshore investment in case of Chinese economic hardships. The Chinese government itself is cracking down hard on this, as they do not want cash to be flowing to other countries. As such, I think outside a few notable examples (Vancouver), most of the price spiking in places like Bend is from other Americans moving in. I'd also like to add that Americans themselves are often the cause of high prices, namely the slow construction response to meet demand, and I've heard that in certain cities like San Francisco, the rich hold immense sway and can block new buildings if it ruffles their feathers.

America is not in a population boom. America just has many people moving to particular places, construction companies have taken a while to respond to demand for housing due to various issues, and everyone is just more aware of people's discontent because of the internet. You speak of Oregon as if this is a new problem.... in the 60s and 70s, Oregon actively campaigned for people to not move to their state, this is not some new phenomena.

Also, rents have actually stagnated in many places this year, due to construction finally catching up in many places.

EDIT: I found the exact historical fact I referred to: Tom McCall, a former Oregon governor, popularized the notion of "don't move here" in 1971. So no, this is not a new thing.
Yep, I moved to Portland from Chicago in 1978. Oregonians were complaining vehemently about Californians moving in and destroying their state. But the Oregonians were happy to sell their homes for two and three times their value to these same West Coast invaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.