Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 02:52 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Nice! That's more like it. They probably learned not to be like next-door neighbors Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 07:58 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Population trends are pretty uneven across the US. Hopefully this crowding will influence people to consider the interior Northeast and upper Midwest which has many cities that were built to house many more people than are currently living in them. I would love to see Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Detroit, St. Louis, etc. healthily reaching their previous peak populations and be bustling cities.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:05 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Nice! That's more like it. They probably learned not to be like next-door neighbors Colorado.
Everyone I know who lives there hates the campaign to an almost comical level. They have a lot of pride in where they live and don’t like the message.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:33 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Hmm - if California is so great, why do people want to leave.

Signed, a liberal who does not like the California way of life.
I mean it's still the greatest state in the country by far, but even I realize there are 49 other states out there to explore it's not because the other states are any better it's just a change of scenery, and bringing some prosperity to some of those small interior western towns. Fun fact California still added 300,000 people in 2017, and that's with all the people "leaving" so the notion that there's a mass exodus that many people wish for is just not true.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:37 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I mean it's still the greatest state in the country by far, but even I realize there are 49 other states out there to explore it's not because the other states are any better it's just a change of scenery, and bringing some prosperity to some of those small interior western towns. Fun fact California still added 300,000 people in 2017, and that's with all the people "leaving" so the notion that there's a mass exodus that many people wish for is just not true.
In your opinion.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:44 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
That's your opinion, you can't speak for everyone living in California. There maybe people there who don't like living there for various reasons but can't afford to leave or their job is too good. Just I can't say that everybody lives in my city love my city or everybody that works at my job loves working there.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
That's your opinion, you can't speak for everyone living in California. There maybe people there who don't like living there for various reasons but can't afford to leave or their job is too good. Just I can't say that everybody lives in my city love my city or everybody that works at my job loves working there.
The thing is I don't remember saying I was speaking for everyone I can only speak for myself, and population statistics.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:55 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
No state gets the excitement and wonder factor around the World as California. Instant recognition. NYC surely can .... but not the state. Las Vegas might ..... but not Nevada. Few even know what state the Grand Canyon is in. But still instant recognition. Florida as a state is another ..... but not the same level. Texas can in the world ..... But with less interest that a California and even a Florida does.

That it never looses. Just IMO. So to the World. California IS our greatest state and of course by GDP.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
No state gets the excitement and wonder factor around the World as California. Instant recognition. NYC surely can .... but not the state. Las Vegas might ..... but not Nevada. Few even know what state the Grand Canyon is in. But still instant recognition. Florida as a state is another ..... but not the same level. Texas can in the world ..... But with less interest that a California and even a Florida does.

That it never looses. Just IMO. So to the World. California IS our greatest state and of course by GDP.
The point I was trying to make as well as with my actual experiences. People don't move to California in droves because of COL, or public transit. People move here because California is California and really no state offers as much hence why COL is so high. I didnt even think about economic might, and a $2.7 trillion dollar economy larger than France and the UK both the 5th and 6th largest economies in the world. That's why it's nice to see Californian's spread that prosperity to other less prosperous states.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:29 PM

227 posts, read 198,087 times
Quote:
The point I was trying to make as well as with my actual experiences. People don't move to California in droves because of COL, or public transit. People move here because California is California and really no state offers as much hence why COL is so high. I didnt even think about economic might, and a $2.7 trillion dollar economy larger than France and the UK both the 5th and 6th largest economies in the world. That's why it's nice to see Californian's spread that prosperity to other less prosperous states.
I think it's fair to say California is our nation's greatest state in regards to GDP, influence, climate, geographical features, entertainment, diversity and probably a few other areas.

But it's also too expensive and overpriced. Debt-to-income's for a large portion are just astronomical. Entire families go homeless - or are pushed far out to dumpy little towns and spend 2-3 hours a day traveling to their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.