Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:41 PM

514 posts, read 438,679 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your reply, yeah Cleveland clinic is world renowned! Took at look at that link, it looks really nice! The tricky part I find for remote IT jobs is that not all employers are always open to it, meaning a full time job with benefits but completely remote and not requiring any commute to physical locations..I would love that as it does give one the location flexibility. Healthcare (at least where patient contact is a must) is tied to location.

CA and NYC type of places really charge a premium and one needs to have a real reason to be in those areas. If the same/similar income can be had in other parts of the country (I see IT as one such field) then it doesn't make sense to live in those areas. To each their own of course!

You may send me a PM/DM, would love to compare notes on the remote IT aspects.

Let us know how you find Raleigh. Yes, have heard good things about NC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
We were in a similar situation with the wife in medical and me in remote IT. Coming from the Bay Area we wanted to buy a house in a nice neighborhood and save money for early retirement. Wasn't possible out there. We've also lived in Chicago, Minneapolis, Madison, WI. Ultimately, we chose Shaker Heights in Cleveland. We bought an amazing house in an amazing neighborhood nearly outright, have an RTA station two blocks from us, we're ten minutes to all the cultural institutions at University Circle and some wonderful food in Little Italy, nearby great shopping, and the wife get's to work at the Cleveland Clinic - which she loves!

Minneapolis, Philly, Baltimore, Houston... are also good choices (each with their own respective pros/cons). Actually, we're planning on visiting Raleigh this winter because we've heard so much good about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 01:47 PM

514 posts, read 438,679 times
Thanks for your reply! Looks like a good combo..right IT and healthcare.I think these type of couples get
along well..because they don't understand what each one does

I would love to get in touch to compare notes, feel free to PM/DM me. Another one for NC!! What's it with NC, it keeps coming up..maybe that's for a reason!

Austin I thought was quite up and coming.. from what I gathered from Tim Ferris's (four hour workweek fame) move to Austin from NY (or was it from CA..I don't remember) but then again he is single and have no kids so maybe it doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

I don't like the old houses in Boston or NY area or if you want newer housing, it will cost your a pretty penny! Good to know that newer housing stock in Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
OP just forget about CA. I am in the tech field as well (work from home) and my girlfriend is a nurse. We are choosing to move to either Raleigh or Charlotte down in NC. Much better winters than where we are from in NY. The economies of Raleigh and Charlotte are booming compared to upstate NY. Lots of northeastern transplants to NC as well which is nice I suppose.

Newer housing stock in Charlotte with very good pricing. Raleigh is more expensive but it's the state capital and I'm sure it's a bit more recession-proof than anywhere else in the state because of that.

I have lived in Raleigh for the past year and a half. Don't want to live anywhere else for the time being. I've lived in Atlanta, Austin, Sarasota, Albany (NY), and out of everywhere my favorite state is NC. If you like mountainous areas, go to Asheville. If you like big urban cities, go to Charlotte. If you like a less stressful, more suburban feel, with a tech vibe, go to Raleigh. If you like the beach, go to Wilmington.

NC is the best bang for your buck in my opinion.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:12 PM

422 posts, read 396,960 times
Sacramento has a growing tech scene and plenty of healthcare jobs. You can easily find a brand new home in your price range is many parts of town. Aside from the recent smoke great weather as well.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
The OP's request has the Research Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) written all over it.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:03 AM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The OP's request has the Research Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) written all over it.
Unless he has f/t remote work on his plate you are absolutely correct.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:49 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
OP just forget about CA. I am in the tech field as well (work from home) and my girlfriend is a nurse. We are choosing to move to either Raleigh or Charlotte down in NC. Much better winters than where we are from in NY. The economies of Raleigh and Charlotte are booming compared to upstate NY. Lots of northeastern transplants to NC as well which is nice I suppose.

Newer housing stock in Charlotte with very good pricing. Raleigh is more expensive but it's the state capital and I'm sure it's a bit more recession-proof than anywhere else in the state because of that.

I have lived in Raleigh for the past year and a half. Don't want to live anywhere else for the time being. I've lived in Atlanta, Austin, Sarasota, Albany (NY), and out of everywhere my favorite state is NC. If you like mountainous areas, go to Asheville. If you like big urban cities, go to Charlotte. If you like a less stressful, more suburban feel, with a tech vibe, go to Raleigh. If you like the beach, go to Wilmington.

NC is the best bang for your buck in my opinion.
CA is definitely more expensive, but for IT, and nursing CA can't be beat average salary for a nurse nationwide is less than $70k, but in CA average nurse makes $102k a year. Don't even get me started on IT.https://nursesalaryguide.net/nurse-salary-by-state/

Old 11-24-2018, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 716 times
I would recommend someplace more halfway than the usual relocation to FL or TX that many from the Northeast jump at to escape winter. While warm winters may seem nice consider the brutal eight months of heat and humidity that constitutes "summer".

Old 11-24-2018, 08:03 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Agree! that's a better measure. Would you say, property tax plus sales tax is a good way to start for evaluating that?
Or even overall cost of living, as housing makes up the biggest portion of COL(about 30%). This may help give an idea in regards to that aspect: https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...ity-index.aspx
4th section: https://www.nahb.org/-/media/Sites/N...CD32ABFF197A5E

Or this information: https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...-affordability

So, this is another aspect to keep in mind.

You can also look at regional price parities for metro areas, which also gives an idea about overall cost of living. https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.c...step=1&isuri=1

There’s also income factors that you can consider as well by looking at this information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm

Old 11-26-2018, 08:33 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
That's actually what I was thinking. With the RTP, Duke, and UNC within a close proximity to each other.

I would also say Ann Arbor, MI. Excellent schools, tech companies and University of Michigan hospitals in close radius as well.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
That's actually what I was thinking. With the RTP, Duke, and UNC within a close proximity to each other.

I would also say Ann Arbor, MI. Excellent schools, tech companies and University of Michigan hospitals in close radius as well.
Michigan has harsh winters and the OP doesnt want harsh winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.