Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If it were to ever happen again, what states do you think would join the new CSA?
FlORIDA 27 20.15%
GEORGIA 96 71.64%
ALABAMA 116 86.57%
MISSISSIPPI 116 86.57%
SOUTH CAROLINA 108 80.60%
NORTH CAROLINA 61 45.52%
TENNESSEE 78 58.21%
ARKANSAS 79 58.96%
LOUISIANA 85 63.43%
TEXAS 50 37.31%
OKLAHOMA 38 28.36%
MISSOURI 27 20.15%
KENTUCKY 55 41.04%
WEST VIRGINIA 46 34.33%
VIRGINIA 38 28.36%
MARYLAND 11 8.21%
DELAWARE 7 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
On the one hand, the South's boosters would have people believe that the region has moved past the racism, ignorance, backwardness, and violence that it's historically been associated with.

On the other hand, you have all these Southerners flying confederate flags, reminiscing about the Confederacy, whining about "Yankees", etc.

It's hard not to be skeptical about how much has actually changed.
Some people just fly Confederate flags because they're proud of where they're from. I do not personally but I'm just saying.

The only reason I personally do not want Yankees here is because they are indirectly (or even directly) influencing the South's Southerness. I have no problems with them as people.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 AM

246 posts, read 1,057,079 times
Default highliner

To all those who continue to amaze me, by predicting that Kentucky would ever join a new CSA, may I humbly suggest that you examine the results of our latest primary? Ain't no Confederate sympathizers-ever-gonna vote Hillary Clinton against ANYBODY! Yet, she won our state overwhelmingly.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
To all those who continue to amaze me, by predicting that Kentucky would ever join a new CSA, may I humbly suggest that you examine the results of our latest primary? Ain't no Confederate sympathizers-ever-gonna vote Hillary Clinton against ANYBODY! Yet, she won our state overwhelmingly.
I read that because in KY and WV they are of Scotch-Irish descent and Scotch-Irish are naturally scrappers and they liked Hillary because she was trying to fight to the finish.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
You southerners also gave us John McCain and George W Bush. Thanks for nothing!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I read that because in KY and WV they are of Scotch-Irish descent and Scotch-Irish are naturally scrappers and they liked Hillary because she was trying to fight to the finish.

The amount of Scots-Irish in the southern gene pool is quite overstated even in the mountainous areas. There's a great deal of English and in the mountains alot of German, I mean German going back to the 1700s.

Being Celtic is currently cool and many claim Celticness from being Scotch-Irish but the lowland Scots are primarily Germanic and about as Celtic as a Norwegian or Dutchman. Highland Scots came from Ireland and are Celtic but the Scots-Irish were Lowlanders. Rangers fans.

However some Kentuckians did vote for Clinton because they admired her grit, like me. And I voted for Obama for senator when I was in Chicago and as a Democrat will vote for him in November. But yeah, I threw Clinton a vote.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
lol

i'm not white or black.....so ask me who's side i'd take on this stupid flag and how it helps human consciousness...

yup

Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
lol

i'm not white or black.....so ask me who's side i'd take on this stupid flag and how it helps human consciousness...

yup
Oh hell, yes...we are ALL anxiously awaiting -- like the premier of Gone With the Wind -- to know which side YOU would take! And for sure, your perspective on how it does or doesn't assist "human conciousness."

Matter of fact, the other day, I stopped in this gas station somewhere the other side of Bowie, Texas...and this ol' feller says, he says, "you know? I been wonderin' lately how ol' John Stark feels about all this stuff..."

Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
You southerners also gave us John McCain and George W Bush. Thanks for nothing!
Sorry for Bush but we gave you McCain? Isn't he from Arizona and he's not the president now.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Lol seeings how McCain helped to get the rebel flag off of the top of the South Carolina Statehouse(it was then moved to a a Civil War monument) and said it was hateful... I don't think we really gave him to everyone. He and Huckabee were so close in the polls in SC and Huckabee would've won if they brought up the rebel flag issue sooner instead of 2 days before, IMO.

Oh well this is getting too political for this semi-political thread. =)

Old 06-05-2008, 10:45 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Some people just fly Confederate flags because they're proud of where they're from. I do not personally but I'm just saying.

The only reason I personally do not want Yankees here is because they are indirectly (or even directly) influencing the South's Southerness. I have no problems with them as people.
Well said, GP! Especially the "Flag" part. Backtracking, in a post of last night, I probably came across as a smarta$$ and unnecessarily rude to another poster. I didn't really intend it that way, per se. But yes, I do have a serious problem with an outlook which simply and reflexively assumes and takes for granted that Southerners who display the Confederate Flag do so out of either overt or latent "racism" or "ignorance" or etc. ad nauseum.

But anyway, I won't go any further with that. There are countless other threads on which to debate the topic. And as you said in your last post...it gets too political and off topic!

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-05-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.