Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:15 PM

3,591 posts, read 3,098,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Yes. I am disgusted by it, but I have to ask if it was what dropped their crime rate so significantly by so aggressively targeting people uncontrollably?

I hear time and time again how crime plummeted, but never much of what actually brought the numbers down.
Many claim it is the reason, but most other US cities - which did NOT have the same policies as NYC - also saw major drops in crime.

There is another interesting observation about the reduction of crime rates in the 90s, the Donohue-Levitt hypothesis:
http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levi...alized2001.pdf

And here is a response to critics of the hypothesis who suggested alternate causes:
Abortion and crime: who should you believe? - Freakonomics Freakonomics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,985,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Many claim it is the reason, but most other US cities - which did NOT have the same policies as NYC - also saw major drops in crime.

There is another interesting observation about the reduction of crime rates in the 90s, the Donohue-Levitt hypothesis:
http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levi...alized2001.pdf

And here is a response to critics of the hypothesis who suggested alternate causes:
Abortion and crime: who should you believe? - Freakonomics Freakonomics
Almost every city’s crime dropped dramatically NYC’s dropped slightly more. NY has very tough gun laws, and unlike Chicago, the neighboring states also have tough gun laws. There is no Indiana sitting 7 miles away from the Bronx. Couple that with the city’s massive, rapid gentrification and lack of entrenched gang culture and you have a recipe for lower crime.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:09 PM

1,094 posts, read 814,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Almost every city’s crime dropped dramatically NYC’s dropped slightly more. NY has very tough gun laws, and unlike Chicago, the neighboring states also have tough gun laws. There is no Indiana sitting 7 miles away from the Bronx. Couple that with the city’s massive, rapid gentrification and lack of entrenched gang culture and you have a recipe for lower crime.
It's crazy how NY was considered the most dangerous city in America as recent as the early 90s. As someone who was born in 1996 I never got to experience that grit that older NY'ers had. I always viewed Manhattan as the boro where the rich people lived at (at least before you reach Harlem). I couldn't imagine being afraid of time square since it's the most touristy place in the world right now. The New York I grew up with was multi-cultural, blue-collar, fast-paced, loud and adventurous. I left nyc in 2007 but still continued to visit every summer and man has it evolved. There was gentrification but not nearly on the scale it was in the 2010s. Brooklyn was still viewed as the hood when I was living in NY.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:18 PM

9,400 posts, read 9,384,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
It's crazy how NY was considered the most dangerous city in America as recent as the early 90s. As someone who was born in 1996 I never got to experience that grit that older NY'ers had. I always viewed Manhattan as the boro where the rich people lived at (at least before you reach Harlem). I couldn't imagine being afraid of time square since it's the most touristy place in the world right now. The New York I grew up with was multi-cultural, blue-collar, fast-paced, loud and adventurous. I left nyc in 2007 but still continued to visit every summer and man has it evolved. There was gentrification but not nearly on the scale it was in the 2010s. Brooklyn was still viewed as the hood when I was living in NY.
Its quite amazing the transformation that almost the entire city has made, even far North in Manhattan is livable these days.

The old gritty New York of the 70s and 80s has always intrigued me, but I am happy to live in 2019 New York and wouldn't trade it for another era.
You always hear old people going on nostalgia trips about "the good ole" days, no matter what time period we are in, that will never end... But I wish more of them would appreciate how safe New York has has become, even from a social and acceptance standpoint.

The only downside is how absurdly expensive the city has become, and its a struggle to make ends meet if you make under $100k a year.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:28 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,406,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Is it wrong to suggest Centralia, PA?

In all seriousness though, NY's crackdown on crime is impressive. I've never read much in depth as to what the most effective strategies were. Was it the stop-and-frisk?
No, there's little evidence that stop and frisk did anything. Crime continued to drop when the practice was discontinued. This article sites gentrification, lower unemployment, community based policing as contributory factors but the truth is that no one really knows. Crime rates rise and fall and no one has ever been able to figure out exactly what the cause is, if they did then I guess we could eliminate crime.

Why Does Crime Keep Falling in New York City?

Old 02-24-2019, 02:26 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,985,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I grew up during the crack years. Back then, Times Square, the East Village and LES we’re still pretty dangerous.

Brooklyn’s gentrification is older than you think. Brooklyn Heights was always nice. Park Slope was gentrified by the early 90s. By 2000, Williamsburg, Ft Greene and Prospect Heights were gentrified. 2010 is when hyper-gentrification went into effect, and places like Crown Heights, Bed Stuy and Bushwick gentrified.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:01 PM

222 posts, read 283,209 times
Fort Worth Texas.

Went from 195 homicides with 400,000 people to like 50 homicides with a population of over 800,000.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:51 PM

307 posts, read 332,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, there's little evidence that stop and frisk did anything. Crime continued to drop when the practice was discontinued. This article sites gentrification, lower unemployment, community based policing as contributory factors but the truth is that no one really knows. Crime rates rise and fall and no one has ever been able to figure out exactly what the cause is, if they did then I guess we could eliminate crime.

Why Does Crime Keep Falling in New York City?
I truly believe a lot of the reason why crime has dropped so much in the last decade or two is because with the cheap technology these days it's very hard to get bored like it used to be. People are also staying inside more and more and being inactive, once again because of cheap easily accessible technology. It's also much harder to get away with crime these days because you guessed it, technology.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:00 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,406,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
I truly believe a lot of the reason why crime has dropped so much in the last decade or two is because with the cheap technology these days it's very hard to get bored like it used to be. People are also staying inside more and more and being inactive, once again because of cheap easily accessible technology. It's also much harder to get away with crime these days because you guessed it, technology.
That's interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if you are right.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:17 AM

2,610 posts, read 4,677,244 times
Washington DC of course!
1989-1997 DCs average murder rate was 65.9
1998-2008 DCs average murder rate was 39
2009-2016 (Obama years) rate 19.2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.