Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 PM

213 posts, read 166,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Take in mind your children for a moment... places youre looking for (outside of SoCal) weather wise will most likely be scorching hot in summer, which is right when your children will be out of school. Are you ready to be entertaining them outdoors when its 90-100+ degrees for months on end? You would most likely say "yes" now, but you haven't lived that reality. As a father with child, we moved to AZ for almost those same reasons. I didn't take into consideration just how long and hot the summers really are. And telling him its too hot outside to play when he was off on summer break was heart breaking. We had to hold playtimes til evening or very early morning before it got too scorching out. I'm talking deadly heat. Sure we don't have snow, but he often misses it. He was ecstatic when we got snow in Scottsdale a few days ago. We drove up the road and spent some time taking pictures and playing in it.
I couldn't agree more.

Few weeks ago during a small snow storm we went with my son sledding on bunny hills. He was so happy.

As others have said, California LA, San Diego fits most of your criterias
Also,
Philly or Atlanta might work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 12:46 PM

9 posts, read 6,377 times
Well, relatively to Minneapolis, I supposed it's not that bad... But it's still pretty bad. Especially with small kids - by the time you end up bundling / unbundling everyone, half the time it's not even worth it... My dream is to open the door and roll out...

Old 03-06-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Agoura Hills, CA checks all the boxes except the walking part of #9. As for #7, sacrifice less square feet, as you can spend more time outdoors!

On the periphery of LA with all its jobs, culture, airport. Top public schools, family friendly. No place is as diverse as California. Beach is 12 miles away. Parks, hiking trails, biking. Oh, and super-low crime and Prop 13 are bonuses.

Adjacent is Oak Park and Thousand Oaks, equally good choices.

I know Lincoln Park well. These places are not LP. There is no close-in neighborhood feeling. About the closest in SoCal to it are Pasadena or Santa Monica, both out of your price range.

EDIT: There are a few places in Pasadena if you are ok with a vintage house. However, the schools aren't great so you might have to go with private. Close to LP in spirit, and walkable.
Thank you! I will definitely check these out!

Old 03-06-2019, 12:51 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musthavesunshine View Post
Well, relatively to Minneapolis, I supposed it's not that bad... But it's still pretty bad. Especially with small kids - by the time you end up bundling / unbundling everyone, half the time it's not even worth it... My dream is to open the door and roll out...
I disagree. Most adults are not as eager to go on adventure in the winter wonderland as our kids. My kid spent most of her pre-adopted life in Ventura, CA and is always excited to go on winter adventures even in the sub-zero temps. Now, if your kids are also miserable in winter, maybe it follows a long lineage of non-winter types.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
For the record SD to NYC is usually well under 5.5 hours (often around 5 hours) because of the jet stream. The return flight is the one usually around 6 hours, +/- 15 min. My wife is from NYC and we usually fly back several times a year. Hawaii has very similar flight times and I’ve made countless trips over the years. I’m not saying I love them, but you do get used to them after awhile. Besides, most business travelers are working on the flight anyways.
Good to know! Thank you.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Take anywhere in Florida off your list.
I agree with the other posters, it seems only CA could meet your list.
Really? Nothing in FL? Which criteria would push FL off the list? I was really hoping (for the sake of my husband's commute) that there would be a few magical pockets / areas in FL that might fit the bill...

Old 03-06-2019, 01:01 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musthavesunshine View Post
Really? Nothing in FL? Which criteria would push FL off the list? I was really hoping (for the sake of my husband's commute) that there would be a few magical pockets / areas in FL that might fit the bill...
It isn't that FL doesn't meet your criteria; it is that CA meets it better for all of the other things. It has the diversity and outdoorsiness you are looking for. If you housing budget was ~$300k or if being in the eastern part of the US were top priorities, then CA would be out and FL would be in.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Take in mind your children for a moment... places youre looking for (outside of SoCal) weather wise will most likely be scorching hot in summer, which is right when your children will be out of school. Are you ready to be entertaining them outdoors when its 90-100+ degrees for months on end? You would most likely say "yes" now, but you haven't lived that reality. As a father with child, we moved to AZ for almost those same reasons. I didn't take into consideration just how long and hot the summers really are. And telling him its too hot outside to play when he was off on summer break was heart breaking. We had to hold playtimes til evening or very early morning before it got too scorching out. I'm talking deadly heat. Sure we don't have snow, but he often misses it. He was ecstatic when we got snow in Scottsdale a few days ago. We drove up the road and spent some time taking pictures and playing in it.
Thank you for your perspective! Very good to know as AZ has been on our radar...

Old 03-06-2019, 04:04 PM

555 posts, read 501,159 times
Quote:
This is spot on. Yes, winter gets old. Cabin fever is a thing. However - during those coldest months, kids are in school and it's dark earlier in the evening. They can't do much outside anyway. In the summer, if you live anywhere hot (and especially hot and humid, like the Southeast), your kids will spend a LOT more time inside than they will in Chicago. Everyone goes from air conditioned building to car to another air conditioned building. You can't spend all your time in the pool or at the beach, so there will be a lot of indoor activities. Video games, TV, etc. Even the evenings, after dark, bring little relief if it's a humid place like FL or the Carolinas. You will break a sweat walking the dog after 10 pm in FL in the summer time due to the high humidity. You'll keep the house shut up - no open windows - for months at a time in the summer, much like winter in the Midwest. You will have to take measures to combat mold as a homeowner (in the SE part of the country, again). If anyone suffers from allergies or asthma in your house, be very very sure they will not be affected by a different climate.

This is why I say all of the time that it's not worth it to move an entire family for reasons of climate alone. (Unless moving for health reasons as well.) Yes, we all want the experience of easy living we get on vacation in the winter. But the reality is you'll be trading in one set of issues for another. Be sure you want that other set of issues and would prefer them to the ones you have now.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:18 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
You sit indoors for six months of the year? Do you not go outside unless it's above 60 degrees? Chicago winters aren't even bad.
Agreed. I can't take this thread seriously, because of the six month thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.