Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city (metro) is most defined by its teams?
Boston 31 35.63%
Chicago 10 11.49%
Dallas-Ft Worth 14 16.09%
Denver 1 1.15%
Detroit 3 3.45%
Los Angeles 2 2.30%
Miami 1 1.15%
Minneapolis-St Paul 3 3.45%
New York 3 3.45%
Philadelphia 18 20.69%
Phoenix 0 0%
Bay Area 0 0%
Washington 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Houston isn't even an option?

Pro baseball since 1898- Houston Buffs
MLB team- Houston Colt .45s/Astros (short for Astronauts)
NBA- Houston Rockets
NFL- Houston Oilers + Houston Texans

I'm not saying they are the best but not even an option???

Edit: ok,, because we don't have an NHL team YET.

Come on Uncle Tilman, get those Coyotes from Phoenix!
Im not surprised. I dont think its top 10 based on the topic.

Green Bay, San Antonio, Boston, and Chicago would be the tops ones IMO. Dallas maybe too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 01:59 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Go to Boston and say the Sox/Pats/Bs/Clts suck, you will be in an alleyway getting your ass kicked in. You might actually die.
That's just, well.. That's just not even close to being accurate.

I understand that was likely true, but everyone will tell you that has changed in a big way since the Sox won in 2004. I haven't seen a single fight at Fenway. That place is behind only Wrigley field for most pink hats at a park. It's more of an event than a baseball game until the playoffs start. Then it gets rockin, and the diehards find the coin to leave the bars for Fenway. Celtics fans are predominantly white collar, affluent, and have very little interest in dogging other teams not named LA. The Garden gets loud, even very loud, but it's not an overtly aggressive crowd by nature. Pats fans are quite literally one of the nicest fan bases I've ever seen, and I'm not being sarcastic. Obnoxious, absolutely. But go to Gillette.. For every two guys with leg tattoos and brass knuckles from Springfield, there are 10 families from Andover in brand new Tahoes.

Now, the Bruins.. That's really the only exception. It's a pretty rough crowd that has maintained that old Boston blue collar attitude. Very aggressive, very forward, very interested in fighting Montreal fans.

If you want to see crowds like you described, I'd recommend going to Philadelphia or Oakland. Or, if you want to see a psychotic, self loathing fan base, go to Buffalo. Place is a riot.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
That's just, well.. That's just not even close to being accurate.

I understand that was likely true, but everyone will tell you that has changed in a big way since the Sox won in 2004. I haven't seen a single fight at Fenway. That place is behind only Wrigley field for most pink hats at a park. It's more of an event than a baseball game until the playoffs start. Then it gets rockin, and the diehards find the coin to leave the bars for Fenway. Celtics fans are predominantly white collar, affluent, and have very little interest in dogging other teams not named LA. The Garden gets loud, even very loud, but it's not an overtly aggressive crowd by nature. Pats fans are quite literally one of the nicest fan bases I've ever seen, and I'm not being sarcastic. Obnoxious, absolutely. But go to Gillette.. For every two guys with leg tattoos and brass knuckles from Springfield, there are 10 families from Andover in brand new Tahoes.

Now, the Bruins.. That's really the only exception. It's a pretty rough crowd that has maintained that old Boston blue collar attitude. Very aggressive, very forward, very interested in fighting Montreal fans.

If you want to see crowds like you described, I'd recommend going to Philadelphia or Oakland. Or, if you want to see a psychotic, self loathing fan base, go to Buffalo. Place is a riot.
Buffalo is not aggressive at all. I’ve been to the Key Bank Center a few time for Sabres games and they are all pretty nice. And the Bruins are one of their rivals. I’ve also been to a Sabres Devils game up there just cause it was like $15 and nobody was interested in fighting Devils fans or anything. Sad but nice.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:33 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Buffalo is not aggressive at all. I’ve been to the Key Bank Center a few time for Sabres games and they are all pretty nice. And the Bruins are one of their rivals. I’ve also been to a Sabres Devils game up there just cause it was like $15 and nobody was interested in fighting Devils fans or anything. Sad but nice.
Atmosphere at Key Bank is miles away from atmosphere at Ralph Wilson Stadium...during hockey games, that arena can be eerily quiet. Football, I'd imagine that Bills fans are the rowdiest in the league, Seahawks' decibel level notwithstanding. Much as with mwj's description of the varying atmospheres at the different Boston venues, it's much different for football v hockey in Buffalo. Now, maybe if you were to travel back in time to the Memorial Auditorium in the '90s for Sabres hockey...but even then, it was only a bit rowdier than it is now, as far as I remember anyway

Old 05-24-2019, 04:35 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
as OP, you have nothing to apologize for. Sidetracking is part of the life blood of all these threads.

Threads here are like the old game of "telephone" where kids sat in a circle with one person saying a sentence or two into the next person's ear and that sentence passes around the whole group....and the last person says it out loud and everybody realizes it sounds nothing like where it began.

So Matt, stop apologizing and stick to the topic and answer the question: Which makes walking more difficult and painful: blister or bone spur?
lol...appreciated. There are some people here who don't have your attitude, heh

Old 05-24-2019, 06:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
I have to say NYC here, because of the Yankees and the Giants...truly iconic teams in their respective sports.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:55 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Dallas is defined by its teams. unfortunately.

You can start with the Cowboys, i.e. “America’s team” (no hint of modesty there!) and loudmouth obnoxious crass Mark Cuban’s ownership of the Mavs. And of course the Rangers are notable for lodgings straight World Series and once being owned by W — Mr. Weapons of Mass Destrution and Mission Accomplished.

Says more about Dallas than I want to know. I sure hope the REAL Dallas isn’t represented by these teams ‘cause they do not give city a good rep.
What's unfortunate is you are judging a city based on who owned a sports team and as if Dallas has a say on who owns the teams. It is ridiculous that would say anything about Dallas. The Cowboys did not name themselves America's Team. It was given that name by NFL Films.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:39 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
lol...appreciated. There are some people here who don't have your attitude, heh
There are people here who have attitudes that I wouldn't wouldn't want to share the space of a back alley at midnight.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:41 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I have to say NYC here, because of the Yankees and the Giants...truly iconic teams in their respective sports.
and think of all those years they shared the Polo Grounds (respective sports being AL and NL).

Old 05-25-2019, 08:25 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Its clearly Pittsburgh. You should have added it to the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.