Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:14 PM

153 posts, read 135,668 times

Advertisements

I have the option to live where is best for us as I work from home. Just need internet. We love salt water and the idea of no state tax, but I'm reading so much bad about Florida I'm not sure. We were looking at the Treasure Coast area. We need to rent awhile, trying to keep it under $1500 for a SFH, maybe a 10 minute bike ride to the beach. We lived in that area many years ago and we did OK with the heat and humidity.

Looking for ideas for those that know. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 05:23 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Your housing budget is way off market value for a SFH within a 10 minute bike ride from the beach. $1700-$1900 will get you into areas like Melbourne Beach, Indialantic and Satellite Beach on that budget within a bike ride of the beach. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...q6_wch22_crid/

Old 06-06-2019, 02:35 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmaker13 View Post
I have the option to live where is best for us as I work from home. Just need internet. We love salt water and the idea of no state tax, but I'm reading so much bad about Florida I'm not sure. We were looking at the Treasure Coast area. We need to rent awhile, trying to keep it under $1500 for a SFH, maybe a 10 minute bike ride to the beach. We lived in that area many years ago and we did OK with the heat and humidity.

Looking for ideas for those that know. Thanks in advance.
The Treasure Coast area is too expensive for the rent you're looking for. Have you considered the Melbourne/Titusville or Tampa Bay areas? They're on the coast, are a lot less expensive, have a lot to do, and have great access to Orlando and its many recreational assets. Good luck wherever you land!

Old 06-08-2019, 03:40 PM

hmmm, maybe Melbourne is an option....or a 30 minute bike ride from the beach. I'm seeing good rents in my range, but they are well off the beach.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:42 PM

I'm still pondering other areas of the country. Might consider a more mountainous area if the cost of living was real low. I can live anywhere I want, but am not rich so it seems beach areas are out.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:42 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
make sure you love florida before you settle there... so many people move back due to the inhumane summers

Old 06-08-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
make sure you love florida before you settle there... so many people move back due to the inhumane summers
We lived in south Florida a dozen years ago. It's summers were nothing compared to central Indiana where we lived for a few years. And by the way the locals complain about the Phoenix heat in the summer, Florida should be an improvement. But, alas, you are correct, make sure love it first.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
We lived in south Florida a dozen years ago. It's summers were nothing compared to central Indiana where we lived for a few years. And by the way the locals complain about the Phoenix heat in the summer, Florida should be an improvement. But, alas, you are correct, make sure love it first.

I'm not sure how on earth central Indiana has hotter summers than Florida??? Looking right now and in July, Indianapolis ranges 85/66 which for anywhere in the south, is pretty cool. I grew up in South Florida, lived there for 18 long years and lows in the 60s in summer are unheard of. You don't get to the 60s til end of October... if you're lucky. Curious why central Indiana summers are harsher than Florida's when the temps AND humidity aren't as high on average. Florida summers are more like 90/78. Very hot. Not sure how long ago those 12 years were but you need to re-jog your memory if you think they compete with the Midwest.

I lived in Florida, Texas and Minnesota. The Midwest summers are extremely pleasant. Texas summers are harsher in the day, and Florida's are muggier at night. The Midwest, even Indiana, is considerably cooler.

Not buying it when people try to paint Midwestern summers as "surprisingly hotter than Florida's." Today's high is 86 but tomorrow's is 70. Florida could only dream of having a summer day that cool. Hell, you will rarely find a morning that cool. Again, not trying to scare you off, but you need to be realistic about how summer is. I'm realistic about how cold our winters are, but I love our winters. Florida summers are nice for the beach and pool, but its way hotter than Indiana.

I will say I'll take them over a Phoenix summer, any day. Humidity sucks but to me, dry scorching heat sucks even more. I'd rather feel sticky than feel like I'm burning. Its not good for your skin, either. I also love summer thunderstorms.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm not sure how on earth central Indiana has hotter summers than Florida??? Looking right now and in July, Indianapolis ranges 85/66 which for anywhere in the south, is pretty cool. I grew up in South Florida, lived there for 18 long years and lows in the 60s in summer are unheard of. You don't get to the 60s til end of October... if you're lucky. Curious why central Indiana summers are harsher than Florida's when the temps AND humidity aren't as high on average. Florida summers are more like 90/78. Very hot. Not sure how long ago those 12 years were but you need to re-jog your memory if you think they compete with the Midwest.

I lived in Florida, Texas and Minnesota. The Midwest summers are extremely pleasant. Texas summers are harsher in the day, and Florida's are muggier at night. The Midwest, even Indiana, is considerably cooler.

Not buying it when people try to paint Midwestern summers as "surprisingly hotter than Florida's." Today's high is 86 but tomorrow's is 70. Florida could only dream of having a summer day that cool. Hell, you will rarely find a morning that cool. Again, not trying to scare you off, but you need to be realistic about how summer is. I'm realistic about how cold our winters are, but I love our winters. Florida summers are nice for the beach and pool, but its way hotter than Indiana.

I will say I'll take them over a Phoenix summer, any day. Humidity sucks but to me, dry scorching heat sucks even more. I'd rather feel sticky than feel like I'm burning. Its not good for your skin, either. I also love summer thunderstorms.
We lived south of Indianapolis, maybe it was only a month or so I'm talking about, but the temps were more like 88-92 with high humidity and no breeze. We lived in PSL and the temps were high so was humidity but there was almost always a breeze. We found it far more bearable than the Indiana hot season. But, friends of ours in Indiana moved from south Florida and complained a lot about the heat in S. Florida. After living in PSL I can honestly say we were confused by their complaints, so I guess it's ones perspective, how you embrace things. Oh....and you lost me when you mentioned that you love winters...lol..just kidding. I hate winters and have chosen to never even try to embrace them again.

Thanks for your input, I will be pondering seriously the heat in Florida. We're trying to make this move a fairly permanent one.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
We lived south of Indianapolis, maybe it was only a month or so I'm talking about, but the temps were more like 88-92 with high humidity and no breeze. We lived in PSL and the temps were high so was humidity but there was almost always a breeze. We found it far more bearable than the Indiana hot season. But, friends of ours in Indiana moved from south Florida and complained a lot about the heat in S. Florida. After living in PSL I can honestly say we were confused by their complaints, so I guess it's ones perspective, how you embrace things. Oh....and you lost me when you mentioned that you love winters...lol..just kidding. I hate winters and have chosen to never even try to embrace them again.

Thanks for your input, I will be pondering seriously the heat in Florida. We're trying to make this move a fairly permanent one.

How close were you to the beach in Port St. Lucie? The longest place I lived in Florida was in Coral Gables and we were inland enough that there was NO coastal breeze. I understand if you are lucky to be by the coast its more pleasant but just a few miles inland its a sticky stiff mess. Again, not trying to dissuade you but just letting you know its gonna be hotter for longer than Indiana. What I noticed about the Midwest is that we may sometimes have a day thats hotter than a specific day in Florida (for a high, at least. Nights are still generally much cooler and that makes a hell of a difference.) but when it comes to long term and averages, Florida is hotter. Not just in summer but fall etc.

One thing I don't miss about Florida are the hot autumns. The last November I spent there I cursed at the world as I waited for a (of course late) Miami city bus in 90 degrees.... AFTER Thanksgiving. I'll take 105 in the summer, just give me a nice cool fall at least to make up for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.